The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Thanks, Susan. Have to go look for that in the stores.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Nobility

I know at one point Serena wanted to embark on creating and selling sculptures. Did that ever happen?

Old 09-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

yes, in the article

"i'm doing a greek chap's head at the moment" she enthuses. "I like doing older men" (quote)

(no doubt a shipowner who lives in london:p and

she has made a bust of carolina herrera husband, reinaldo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
I know at one point Serena wanted to embark on creating and selling sculptures. Did that ever happen?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

how both met? before got married

Sara Boyce
Old 10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Happy wedding anniversary to the couples on their marriages both been married for 12 years on October 8th 1993

Sara Boyce
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

While cleaning up some magazines I had lying around my house, I came across a June 2005 issue of House Beautiful, an American magazine on home decor and design. David Linley was chosen as one of the "Giants of Design" along with architect Daniel Libeskind, interior designer Barbara Barry, industrial designer Karim Rashid (better known for his Umbra designs), and retailer Gordon Segal.

Links for those who can't see ImageShack images:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2...eycover5zr.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2...side0023ox.jpg

David looks like a good mix between both of his parents. On the cover especially you can see quite a resemblance to Princess Margrethe -- something in the jawline or the eyes perhaps.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Viscount Linley is profiled in the November 2005 issue of British House & Garden. He celebrates his 20th anniversary as a craftsperson.

The article notes that he is more recognized for his furniture than as the Queen's nephew!

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/7038/linley17yb.jpg
http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/3501/linley25jt.jpg
http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/9140/linley36tx.jpg
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9747/linley45il.jpg
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Serene Highness

I think the selling of the cards was in very poor taste and also wondered what P Margaret thought about the sale of her home in Mustique. I still have an issue of "House Beautiful" which features David and Serena showing the personal touches they'd made to the home, including pictures they'd painted together. But I do admire him for his work--which I suspect is well worth the price as I think he has very high standards--and the fact he is not best known as QE's nephew.

BTW, I understood the Kennedy sale at Sotheby's years ago and that it was done at Jacqueline Kennedy's behest. I was surprised yet another sale was held last year of additional artifacts and items from the Kennedy years. It's likely because--according to many who knew her--Mrs. Kennedy saved everything and had warehouses of furniture, china, jewelry and items with little personal signficance. I never heard how much the second sale earned though. Certainly not nearly as much as the first.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

a little dirt on Linley from the New York Post.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/58104.htm

November 29, 2005 -- EXPECT the inside scoop on the battle between antique aficionado Bruce Newman and David, Viscount Linley, in Newman's memoir, "Don't Come Back Until You Find It," due out in January. The original dust-up began with charges that Linley's 1996 book, "Extraordinary Furniture," was a copy of an earlier Newman work and had British papers calling him "Copycat Linley."
Old 01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Are there any pictures of HON. Charles Armstrong-Jones and HON. Margarita Armstrong-Jones? We're they in the video of the royal family in the Queen's speech for Christmas 2004?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Lady Serena Linley attended the Memorial Service for Lord Lichfield
Uk Press
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Viscountess Linley is such an elegant royal lady. Too bad the children of the late Princess Margaret do not undertake many royal engagements unlike with the children of the Queen. But what I like with their lives is that they remain down-to-earth and approachable. They seem to look like very friendly people.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Commoner

Hi all, can anyone tell me where do the Linley's live?
I remember reading sometime ago that they were buying a place in France and moving there. Thanks Nicole
Old 03-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Before she married she was the Hon (short for Honourable) Serena Stanhope because she was the daughter of a viscount (same as Princess Diana, who was the Hon Diana Spencer while her father was Viscount Althorp). The daughters of Dukes, Marquesses, and Earls have the title 'Lady [first name]', the daughters of viscounts and barons are Honourables.
But wasn't Diana known as Lady Diana Spencer when she married Prince Charles? And, her father was an Earl already and her brother Charles is now the Earl of Althorp.

:)
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Where did Elspeth say Diana wasn't Lady Diana? She said that while Diana's father was Viscount Althorp, meaning before he inherited in the mid-70s, Diana was an Hon.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole31
Hi all, can anyone tell me where do the Linley's live?
I remember reading sometime ago that they were buying a place in France and moving there. Thanks Nicole
They have a home in France for weekends, and have a place in London, where their son attends school, and another place in the country for weekends.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I find it surprising that Margaret would not leave a sentimental object of some sort to her sister or her mother (who was still alive). It didn't have to be jewelry or the like. She was extremely close to her sister and mother. I would think she would have remembered them unless she gave it personally before her death in anticipation of the event.
I would bet on Margaret presenting or giving those momentos that both she and her family, such as the Queen, during her final days and leaving them out of the will. I know my grandfather cleaned out his basement for just that reason and kept the monetary and real estate issues for the will.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
They have a home in France for weekends, and have a place in London, where their son attends school, and another place in the country for weekends.
Thank you for reponding Kelly9480.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
But wasn't Diana known as Lady Diana Spencer when she married Prince Charles? And, her father was an Earl already and her brother Charles is now the Earl of Althorp.

Hi, first-time poster here!

I know someone else has already explained about Diana's title changing when her grandfather died, but I also thought I'd mention that Diana's brother's present title is "Earl Spencer," not "Earl of Althorp." (Before his father died he was Viscount Althrop.)

Does anyone know what the distinction is between someone who is "Earl of Something" (like Earl of Wessex) and "Earl Something" (like Earl Spencer)? I know there is a difference, but I can't remember what it means.

Thanks,
kal
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Royal Highness

what is the significance of the name Linley? how do they choose these names?

Tags
charles armstrong-jones, margarita armstrong-jones, viscount linley, viscountess linley