Viscount and Viscountess Linley and Family News 1: July 2003-April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Susan. Have to go look for that in the stores.

I know at one point Serena wanted to embark on creating and selling sculptures. Did that ever happen?

yes, in the article

"i'm doing a greek chap's head at the moment" she enthuses. "I like doing older men" (quote)

(no doubt a shipowner who lives in london:p and

she has made a bust of carolina herrera husband, reinaldo.

Lady Jean said:
I know at one point Serena wanted to embark on creating and selling sculptures. Did that ever happen?

how both met? before got married

Sara Boyce

Happy wedding anniversary to the couples on their marriages both been married for 12 years on October 8th 1993

Sara Boyce

While cleaning up some magazines I had lying around my house, I came across a June 2005 issue of House Beautiful, an American magazine on home decor and design. David Linley was chosen as one of the "Giants of Design" along with architect Daniel Libeskind, interior designer Barbara Barry, industrial designer Karim Rashid (better known for his Umbra designs), and retailer Gordon Segal.

Links for those who can't see ImageShack images:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2761/hblinleycover5zr.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2948/hblinleyinside0023ox.jpg

David looks like a good mix between both of his parents. On the cover especially you can see quite a resemblance to Princess Margrethe -- something in the jawline or the eyes perhaps.

I think the selling of the cards was in very poor taste and also wondered what P Margaret thought about the sale of her home in Mustique. I still have an issue of "House Beautiful" which features David and Serena showing the personal touches they'd made to the home, including pictures they'd painted together. But I do admire him for his work--which I suspect is well worth the price as I think he has very high standards--and the fact he is not best known as QE's nephew.

BTW, I understood the Kennedy sale at Sotheby's years ago and that it was done at Jacqueline Kennedy's behest. I was surprised yet another sale was held last year of additional artifacts and items from the Kennedy years. It's likely because--according to many who knew her--Mrs. Kennedy saved everything and had warehouses of furniture, china, jewelry and items with little personal signficance. I never heard how much the second sale earned though. Certainly not nearly as much as the first.

a little dirt on Linley from the New York Post.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/58104.htm

November 29, 2005 -- EXPECT the inside scoop on the battle between antique aficionado Bruce Newman and David, Viscount Linley, in Newman's memoir, "Don't Come Back Until You Find It," due out in January. The original dust-up began with charges that Linley's 1996 book, "Extraordinary Furniture," was a copy of an earlier Newman work and had British papers calling him "Copycat Linley."

Are there any pictures of HON. Charles Armstrong-Jones and HON. Margarita Armstrong-Jones? We're they in the video of the royal family in the Queen's speech for Christmas 2004?

Viscountess Linley is such an elegant royal lady. Too bad the children of the late Princess Margaret do not undertake many royal engagements unlike with the children of the Queen. But what I like with their lives is that they remain down-to-earth and approachable. They seem to look like very friendly people.

Hi all, can anyone tell me where do the Linley's live?
I remember reading sometime ago that they were buying a place in France and moving there. Thanks Nicole

Elspeth said:
Before she married she was the Hon (short for Honourable) Serena Stanhope because she was the daughter of a viscount (same as Princess Diana, who was the Hon Diana Spencer while her father was Viscount Althorp). The daughters of Dukes, Marquesses, and Earls have the title 'Lady [first name]', the daughters of viscounts and barons are Honourables.

But wasn't Diana known as Lady Diana Spencer when she married Prince Charles? And, her father was an Earl already and her brother Charles is now the Earl of Althorp.

:)

Where did Elspeth say Diana wasn't Lady Diana? She said that while Diana's father was Viscount Althorp, meaning before he inherited in the mid-70s, Diana was an Hon.

nicole31 said:
Hi all, can anyone tell me where do the Linley's live?
I remember reading sometime ago that they were buying a place in France and moving there. Thanks Nicole
They have a home in France for weekends, and have a place in London, where their son attends school, and another place in the country for weekends.

tiaraprin said:
I find it surprising that Margaret would not leave a sentimental object of some sort to her sister or her mother (who was still alive). It didn't have to be jewelry or the like. She was extremely close to her sister and mother. I would think she would have remembered them unless she gave it personally before her death in anticipation of the event.

I would bet on Margaret presenting or giving those momentos that both she and her family, such as the Queen, during her final days and leaving them out of the will. I know my grandfather cleaned out his basement for just that reason and kept the monetary and real estate issues for the will.

kelly9480 said:
They have a home in France for weekends, and have a place in London, where their son attends school, and another place in the country for weekends.

Thank you for reponding Kelly9480.

HRH Kimetha said:
But wasn't Diana known as Lady Diana Spencer when she married Prince Charles? And, her father was an Earl already and her brother Charles is now the Earl of Althorp.

Hi, first-time poster here!

I know someone else has already explained about Diana's title changing when her grandfather died, but I also thought I'd mention that Diana's brother's present title is "Earl Spencer," not "Earl of Althorp." (Before his father died he was Viscount Althrop.)

Does anyone know what the distinction is between someone who is "Earl of Something" (like Earl of Wessex) and "Earl Something" (like Earl Spencer)? I know there is a difference, but I can't remember what it means.

Thanks,
kal

what is the significance of the name Linley? how do they choose these names?

Christening of Charles Patrick Iñigo, first son of Lord and Lady Linley

December, the 2nd 1999​

1. Serena Linley arriving with her son, Charles
3. Lord Linley
3. Charles' grandfather Lord Snowdon with his daughter Frances
4. Princess Margareth
5. Queen Elizabeth II
6. Queen Mother
7. Lady Sarah and husband Daniel Chatto

(source: Hola magazine)

kalnel said:
Hi, first-time poster here!

I know someone else has already explained about Diana's title changing when her grandfather died, but I also thought I'd mention that Diana's brother's present title is "Earl Spencer," not "Earl of Althorp." (Before his father died he was Viscount Althrop.)

Does anyone know what the distinction is between someone who is "Earl of Something" (like Earl of Wessex) and "Earl Something" (like Earl Spencer)? I know there is a difference, but I can't remember what it means.

Thanks,
kal

During the Middle Ages, earls were a kind of financial enforcer for the Crown in addition to their power and influence in their county or town. The tradition was established that earldoms were awarded after the county or town where your property and influence was most prominent. Later, earldoms also were awarded as a personal honour with your family's surname, although this has been relatively rare until the 1700's.

As with all peerages, the earlier your family received the title, the higher your precedence, regardless of whether you are an Earl of Surrey or Earl Spencer. Peerages granted to members of the royal family take precedence from the holder's highest rank, which is a Royal Highness and Prince/Princess of the UK for the child and male-line grandchild of a Sovereign. Once the peerage passes to the third generation, their precedence follows their place in the line of succession to the throne.

Duchess said:
what is the significance of the name Linley? how do they choose these names?

I believe Linley was a town or village in Wales near the border of England. Since the earldom of Snowdon was created for Tony Armstrong-Jones in honour of his Welsh heritage, the subsidiary title also reflected Wales. Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales.

I thought it had to do with Lord snowdon's uncle linley sambourne the well known punch cartoonist. I live a couple of minutes walk away from linley sambourne house museum in kensington and have visited several times as its a facinating place as you get an understanding of the creative ideas of lord snowdon and lord linley who have been inspired by linley sambourne. There were a few pics of lord snowdon's parents on display last time i popped in a few months ago.

kalnel said:
For earldoms, it simply has to do with whether or not the title reflects a location. For example, Lord Snowdon is Earl of Snowdon because Snowdon is a location. Lord Spencer is simply Earl Spencer because Spencer is not a location.

All extant dukedoms and most marquessates (I think Camden is the only exception) are locations, while earldoms seem split with a large number of earldoms created during and since the 19th century have referenced surnames. The overwhelming majority of viscountcies are Viscount _______, regardless of whether they reference a location, though there are some exceptions, Viscount (of) Falkland being one that springs to mind. Baronies are equally split, like earldoms.

mtbcm said:
Christening of Charles Patrick Iñigo, first son of Lord and Lady Linley
Thanks for the pics, but there isn't a ~ over the N in Inigo.

kelly9480 said:
All extant dukedoms and most marquessates (I think Camden is the only exception) are locations, while earldoms seem split with a large number of earldoms created during and since the 19th century have referenced surnames. The overwhelming majority of viscountcies are Viscount _______, regardless of whether they reference a location, though there are some exceptions, Viscount (of) Falkland being one that springs to mind. Baronies are equally split, like earldoms.

Actually, I can think of one other prominent one that isn't a location (at least not anymore): Wessex. I guess I can make an exception for that since it has historical significance. ;) (But if they suddenly start calling Harry "Duke of Camelot," I must protest...)

kal

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 565
foiegrass said:
Why do they have to auction that beautiful Poltimore tiara! :(
There is discussion of the auction in the Princess Margaret Jewels thread.
In short, the Poltimore is being used as the centrepiece of the auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom