Viscount and Viscountess Linley and Family News 1: July 2003-April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is similar?

Attachments

• sarah embarazada.JPG
    sarah embarazada.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 362
No. Serena's dress comes from Catherine Walker, while Sarah modelled for another designer.

i found Serena's feather leaves hairband she wores at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding in April 2005 but almost different or same i think so!

oc406.jpg

Linley Sale!

For those who are interested in knowing what Viscount Linley does, here is the link to the Linley Website. Very classy.

http://www.davidlinley.com/home2.php

You will be pleased to note that he is having a sale, with 20-40% off selected items. However, I would strongly suggest a check of the price list before getting any hopes up. If you want quality, you pay for it. Be warned! :)

Warren said:
For those who are interested in knowing what Viscount Linley does, here is the link to the Linley Website. Very classy.

http://www.davidlinley.com/home2.php

You will be pleased to note that he is having a sale, with 20-40% off selected items. However, I would strongly suggest a check of the price list before getting any hopes up. If you want quality, you pay for it. Be warned! :)

Oh my!!! I went to the website and I took a look at a jewelry box and it says 999 British pounds. I then converted that to US dollars and fainted.$$1,749. WOw!!! TAlk about pricey!

sara1981 said:
i found Serena's feather leaves hairband she wores at Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding in April 2005 but almost different or same i think so!

So i think it's also Philip Treacy's?Many British Royal Ladies wear Treacy's hats now: The Countess of Wessex,The Duchess of Cornwall and now Serena Linley,but the hat looks really lovely.Thanks lots Sara.

Last edited by a moderator:
The late Princess Margret had some fabulous pieces of jewelery. Did her son inherit any pieces, specially the paltimore tiara?

Ennyllorac said:
Oh my!!! I went to the website and I took a look at a jewelry box and it says 999 British pounds. I then converted that to US dollars and fainted.$$1,749. WOw!!! TAlk about pricey!

At those prices, I am a lowly peasant!! As they say in French: "Le gout d'un aristocrat, la bourse d'un paysan" (The taste of an aristocrat with a peasant's pocketbook)

Asset rich

HMQ Maggie said:
The late Princess Margret had some fabulous pieces of jewelery. Did her son inherit any pieces, specially the Poltimore Tiara?
I would imagine that Princess Margaret's jewellery was divided between Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah. We won't know who received what until the various pieces are worn in public, eg Lady Sarah wore a lovely (and serious) pearl necklace to the C&C wedding; some may appear at a later date in the auction rooms, and probably some will never be seen again.

Viscountess Linley may occasionally wear a tiara in the future, but how many tiaras, necklaces, brooches, earrings or rings would Lady Sarah require? This is the problem with serious Royal jewels; as they get passed down the generations there is less need and opportunity to wear them and they end up sitting in the bank vault. The jewels are valuable assets, but produce no income; at some point they will be converted to cash. Disappointing for jewellery and tiara-watchers, but inevitable.

I own several pieces from Viscount Linleys collection, and I can assure you that it is money well spent.

Linley collectables

zeap said:
I own several pieces from Viscount Linleys collection, and I can assure you that it is money well spent.
I have two Linley pieces.
They are both door stops and I doubt he did them himself!
More seriously, he has a deserved reputation for the highest quality and craftsmanship.

:)

Warren said:
I would imagine that Princess Margaret's jewellery was divided between Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah. We won't know who received what until the various pieces are worn in public, eg Lady Sarah wore a lovely (and serious) pearl necklace to the C&C wedding; some may appear at a later date in the auction rooms, and probably some will never be seen again.

Viscountess Linley may occasionally wear a tiara in the future, but how many tiaras, necklaces, brooches, earrings or rings would Lady Sarah require? This is the problem with serious Royal jewels; as they get passed down the generations there is less need and opportunity to wear them and they end up sitting in the bank vault. The jewels are valuable assets, but produce no income; at some point they will be converted to cash. Disappointing for jewellery and tiara-watchers, but inevitable.
Actually Lady Sarah Chatto is an elegant lady,she just wear simple clothes but she has a really nice style,for example she did really beautiful at Prince Charles and Mrs Parker Bowles's Wedding.
I think Princess Margaret's children seem do not undertake many Royal events now during The Queen's reign,but i think they will join the Royal Circle after The Queen's reign.So maybe Viscountess Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will take and wear more of Princess Margaret's jewels.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Actually Lady Sarah Chatto is an elegant lady,she just wear simple clothes but she has a really nice style,for example she did really beautiful at Prince Charles and Mrs Parker Bowles's Wedding.
I think Princess Margaret's children seem do not undertake many Royal events now during The Queen's reign,but i think they will join the Royal Circle after The Queen's reign.So maybe Viscountess Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto will take and wear more of Princess Margaret's jewels.

I have heard it said that when Princess Margaret and the Queen Mum died, the Queen used undignified speed to grab all of their jewelry. I am not saying it is true, and maybe if it was, she was trying to protect what belonged to the crown as Margaret and the Queen Mum had items on life time loans.

I will bet Viscountess Linley will get the Poltimore Tiara and will wear it someday where we can see it. Does the Viscountess have the tiara Princess Margaret gave her to wear on her wedding day?? That tiara belonged to the Queen Mum originally back in the 1920's.

Queen's jewel heist!

tiaraprin said:
I have heard it said that when Princess Margaret and the Queen Mum died, the Queen used undignified speed to grab all of their jewelry. I am not saying it is true, and maybe if it was, she was trying to protect what belonged to the crown as Margaret and the Queen Mum had items on life time loans.
Ummm... the only reason I can see for The Queen taking swift control of Margaret's (and their mother's) jewellery would be to stop anyone "doing a Burrell" and taking it upon themselves to "safeguard" certain pieces. In any case HM and Lady Sarah Chatto are extremely close and I don't believe she would have mistrusted Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah in regard to those jewels which may have been considered (not officially, but within the family) as "Crown" property.

So, the same story with two opposing viewpoints: the sensible Queen taking precautions to safeguard the family treasures; or the rapacious Queen taking all for herself. Not hard to pick the most likely.

Everything Margaret had was left to her children, both Linley and BP have said this. The Queen didn't get anything at all from her sister's will -- I remember that because I thought it strange that Margaret didn't even leave small mementos to other family and/or friends.

A lot of the stuff the Queen Mum had was on a lifetime loan from the Crown, but Margaret didn't have anything borrowed from the Crown. She had borrowed some stuff from her sister's private collection in the 50s and 60s, but nothing I can readily identify as being EIIR's since the 1960s, so it's highly unlikely EIIR grabbed any of Margaret's stuff after her death. And considering that Linley stayed in Margaret's apartment until several months after her death wrapping up and cataloguing his mother's estate, it's even less likely EIIR took stuff. She would have needed to get Linley out of the place first.

None of Margaret's major jewels were kept at her apartment anyways, they were stored in bank vaults.

I have no idea how people know what the Queen's motive was for visiting Princess Margaret's apartments when she did. Does anybody actually know it had anything to do with jewels, or is this part of the same old "the Queen doesn't care about people" propaganda that's so beloved by the tabloids?

Viscountess Linley

Viscountess Linley is a very stylish lady. I love many of the outfits she has worn over the years. :)

kelly9480 said:
Everything Margaret had was left to her children, both Linley and BP have said this. The Queen didn't get anything at all from her sister's will -- I remember that because I thought it strange that Margaret didn't even leave small mementos to other family and/or friends.

A lot of the stuff the Queen Mum had was on a lifetime loan from the Crown, but Margaret didn't have anything borrowed from the Crown. She had borrowed some stuff from her sister's private collection in the 50s and 60s, but nothing I can readily identify as being EIIR's since the 1960s, so it's highly unlikely EIIR grabbed any of Margaret's stuff after her death. And considering that Linley stayed in Margaret's apartment until several months after her death wrapping up and cataloguing his mother's estate, it's even less likely EIIR took stuff. She would have needed to get Linley out of the place first.

None of Margaret's major jewels were kept at her apartment anyways, they were stored in bank vaults.

I find it surprising that Margaret would not leave a sentimental object of some sort to her sister or her mother (who was still alive). It didn't have to be jewelry or the like. She was extremely close to her sister and mother. I would think she would have remembered them unless she gave it personally before her death in anticipation of the event.

I think the only time we will see Lady Linley and Lady Sarah in tiaras will be at Charles' Coronation. I think that we will also see the Gloucester girls, Helen and Gabriella Windsor, Zara, basically EVERY female from the House of Windsor in tiaras that day. Coronations are glorious and one off occasions and, apart from their weddings, the only time when none HRH ladies are in usually seen in tiaras.Thats why ( despite a lot of issues atttached to it) I can't wait for Charles to be crowned in order to see this wonderful sight.

The only time I can recall EIIR visiting her sister's apartments after her death was that time when she was in purple and went to pay her respects.

Yes, but making a grab for the jewels was a much better story as far as the tabloids were concerned.

I didn't know about the Queen's visit to the apartments, but I don't think she went there for jewels; it sounds more like a tabloid story.

Linley only sold the stuff he and his sister didn't want. He sold an old car, several Christmas cards (which I found tacky) and other stuff he and Sarah decided to flog off.

kelly9480 said:
Linley only sold the stuff he and his sister didn't want. He sold an old car, several Christmas cards (which I found tacky) and other stuff he and Sarah decided to flog off.

It's not any tackier than what Caroline and John Kennedy, Jr. did with their mother's personal items.

Jackie Kennedy specifically told her children to put items up for auction so that they could cover estate taxes on her $200million estate. Margaret, however, was reported to be shocked and upset that Linley sold her Mustique home that she passed on to him to avoid death duties. Either way, the Kennedys didn't sell family Christmas cards -- they sold a lot of things that I would deem personal, but they didn't flog off family cards. That's a new level of crass.

Why keep a house (and pay for its upkeep) if you're not going to use it?

I probably wouldn't sell family cards, but then again my relatives have accused me of being a packrat. Some people are just minimalists/lack sentimentality.

I don't disagree with him selling the house, but he had been renting it out to rich people for holidays, so maintenance was covered through that.

Linley has said several times that he's obsessed by making money -- that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might explain why he sold off the Christmas cards instead of simply storing them for his kids or trashing them. Either way, the Windsors were said to be upset at how quickly he sold them off -- within months of the deaths of his mum and grandmum.

kelly9480 said:
I don't disagree with him selling the house, but he had been renting it out to rich people for holidays, so maintenance was covered through that.

Linley has said several times that he's obsessed by making money -- that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might explain why he sold off the Christmas cards instead of simply storing them for his kids or trashing them. Either way, the Windsors were said to be upset at how quickly he sold them off -- within months of the deaths of his mum and grandmum.

While money is necessary in this life, there are certain lines you don't cross in that pursuit. Selling personal family momentos crosses that line. Selling them so quickly after the death of your mother and grandmother is beyond the pale!

In the harpers & queen of october 2005 there is a long article about them with 4 pict

in the article, page 246:
cash is obviously very much on his mind. Like a lot of people from old-money backgrounds, he peppers his conversation with hints about how he doesn't feel he has enough of the stuff. Throughout the day, he mentions that he doesn't have a pension (etc end quote).

the mustique house is also mentioned and he does not want to talk about it.

kelly9480 said:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom