Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 20: March-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love, love, LOVE this white outfit on the Queen. She looks--dare I say--"radiant".:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
First talk of the Queen'a Diamond Jubilee which will be celebrated in 2010, apparently HM has said she doesn't want the Jubilee to be linked with the 2012 Olympics which are reported to be costing £9billion. HM is said to be eager to avoid seeming "flashy" and lavish.

The Queen: Don't link my Jubilee celebration to 'flashy' Olympics | Mail Online

Who could blame her?
If the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics is anything to judge by, Her Majesty would be well-advised not to combine the Jubilee celebrations with the Olympics.

Nevertheless, I hope the celebrations will be befitting the glorious occasion.

First talk of the Queen'a Diamond Jubilee which will be celebrated in 2010, apparently HM has said she doesn't want the Jubilee to be linked with the 2012 Olympics which are reported to be costing £9billion. HM is said to be eager to avoid seeming "flashy" and lavish.

The Queen: Don't link my Jubilee celebration to 'flashy' Olympics | Mail Online

Thats quite right. God bless her majesty, somebody has a sensible head on expenses. The Olympics and the jubliee are two seperate very special events, conjoining them would damage both events. :flowers:

Queen hires out woods to Harry Potter film-makers | The Sun |News|Royals

Her Majesty has rented out part of a huge forest near Windsor Castle to producers Warner Brothers. To be used for the seventh and final Harry Potter film.

I wouldn't want the two events to be linked but I hope they are close enough together that I could visit Britain for both of them and not have to choose which one I would attend.

My brother will be there for the Olympics and has suggested that the entire family goes together as it will probably be his last Olympics, having been to the all since 1984, except Barcelona and he would like to share the experience with his family.

I would like to be at the Jubilee as well but if they are too far apart then I will have to chose and the Olympics would win.

Details of the Royal Finances have been published, I have put the first article in the Royal Finances Thread.

Queen Elizabeth II with The Duke of Edinburgh visit Culloden Battlefield visitors centre near Inverness, 2009 06 29
Mediumphoto

Queen Elizabeth II holds an audience with Scotland's first minister Alex Salmond at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, 2009-06-30.
Pic
Pic
Gallery Mediumphoto

I would like to be at the Jubilee as well but if they are too far apart then I will have to chose and the Olympics would win.
Hmmm. Mark Russo's calendar for appearance at Jubilee. . .
After this, is HM the longest reigning monarch in British History?

Hmmm. Mark Russo's calendar for appearance at Jubilee. . .
After this, is HM the longest reigning monarch in British History?

She will have to go a few years after the Jubilee to make the longest.

Queen Victoria's Jubilee for 60 years was in 1897 but she reigned until 1901 so Elizabeth would have to continue until September 9th 2015 to become the longest serving monarch.

The Queen yesterday told MSPs they must keep the trust of the Scottish people after a decade of devolution - but 50 of them did not turn up for her speech

50 MSPs fail to show for Queen's speech celebrating 10 years of devolution - Telegraph

:previous: :nonono::nonono::nonono:
-------------------------------------------
The honour in her name will be granted to the next of kin of servicemen and women who died during operations or were killed as the result of terrorist action since the Second World War.
It is the first time that a reigning monarch has given their name a new award since King George VI instituted the George Cross in 1940.

Queen honours dead service personnel with award - Telegraph
:flowers:

:previous:
Well thats abit shocking. That 50 MSP's didn't turn up. :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

The video is beautiful though, shame about the cold. :flowers:

Indeed, their behaviour are quite shameful and undignified. :nonono:
On the other hand, 2/3 of the Scottish MSP's obviously understand and value Her Majesty's role. :)

Indeed, their behaviour are quite shameful and undignified. :nonono:
On the other hand, 2/3 if the Scottish MSP's obviously understand and value Her Majesty's role. :)

Your quite right. See the brighter things of an awful story. Lets hope for something better next time. :flowers:

Elizabeth Cross to be given to families of Britain's war dead | Mail Online

The Queen is to honour the families of Britain's war dead with a new award in her name.

Those who have lost loved ones on the frontline or in terrorist attacks will be presented with the Elizabeth Cross.

In a radio message to the armed forces on the British Forces Broadcasting Service the Queen said: 'I greatly hope that the Elizabeth Cross will give further meaning to the nation's debt of gratitude to the families and loved ones of those who have died in the service of our country.'

Nice clip of HM today speaking at the Scottish parliament. Seems HM still has a gruff throat from her recent cold as she sounds very hoarse and is apparently even sniffling as she speaks!

Queen marks Scottish devolution anniversary

HM really is marvellous, she obviously wasn't feeling 100% but still looked so very nice, she's been so busy in June. Hopefully she can get some rest now. Although we love to see her so much, it's time for her to only be present at the special occasions that she particularly likes to attend.

Nice clip of HM today speaking at the Scottish parliament. Seems HM still has a gruff throat from her recent cold as she sounds very hoarse and is apparently even sniffling as she speaks!
Queen marks Scottish devolution anniversary

Despite clearly having a nasty cold the Queen still managed to show up. Well at least she's dedicated and professional. :whistling:
Long live her majesty!

Here are a few more pics from Wednesday:

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip during a visit to the Scottish
Parliament in Edinburgh to mark the 10th anniversary of the Scottish
Parliament, July 1, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

HM is working again without even a chance to rest up. Thanks for the pics, she looks marvellous, maybe tomorrow she'll get a day off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom