Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 20: March-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckingham Palace voiced anger last night after the French snubbed the Queen over next week's D-Day commemorations.

D-Day snub to Queen: Palace fury as Sarkozy refuses to invite royals to 65th Anniversary - and Brown won't act | Mail Online
:nonono:

The failure to invite the Queen - who is head of state of both Britain and Canada - will be seen as an insult to the memory of the 17,556 British and 5,316 Canadian troops who died to free France and are buried there.
The figure does not include many airmen and sailors whose bodies were never found.

:angry::censored::censored:

This insult to the Queen - the only living head of state who actually served in the war

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...n--living-head-state-actually-served-war.html

This really is rediculous and a severe breach of protocol. An insult to The Queen and the French President should be ashamed of his churlish and headline grabbing behaviour

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats is a really wrong thing to do n Sarkozy's part. It says somewhere in the article that he will concentrate on the main event "President Obama". Our queen actually served in the war, and our country sacrificied alot to win the war against Germany. It's outrageous. My opinion of Mr Sarkozy has certainly been lowered.
x

Last edited by a moderator:
France has confirmed that it has not "personally" invited the Queen to the 65th anniversary of D-Day on June 6 but said that she was "naturally welcome", following reports that Buckingham palace had been snubbed

A government spokesman said that this year's anniversary of the Normandy landings was "first and foremost a Franco-American ceremony

France admits not inviting the Queen to 65th D-Day anniversary - Telegraph
:nonono:

Pics 27.5.2009

Queen Elizabeth II shakes hands with Mr Bobby McDonagh the
Ambassador of Ireland (pic 1 and 2) and Dr Ivica Tomic the
Ambassador of Croatia (pic 3) before they presented their
Credentials during a private audience at Buckingham Palace,
London, May 27, 2009:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

:evil: I think it's rather poor form for France to not invite HM to the D-Day commemorations. There were about 1,000 British soldiers killed or wounded during the landings at Gold & Sword Beaches, and 1,200 Canadian casualties at Juno Beach.

:evil: I think it's rather poor form for France to not invite HM to the D-Day commemorations. There were about 1,000 British soldiers killed or wounded during the landings at Gold & Sword Beaches, and 1,200 Canadian casualties at Juno Beach.

"Poor form" doesn't even begin to describe it. WTH are the French using for brains anyway? The Queen is the Head of State of two nations who participated in the Normandy campaign. Not inviting her is a deliberate insult on the part of France and yet another reason to despise them. I'm not from the UK or a Commonwealth nation but I am furious about this.

And wth is PM Brown on this? Too busy trying to save his own political neck I suppose [sarcasm]

:angry:

As a french citizen i am deeply shocked and ashamed by the behaviour of my government. Sad but not surprising. Mr Sarkozy simply don't care about the others head of states (and the others people in general). The most important thing is himself and nothing is better that a good PR operation: he will use Obama as he used the Queen and the Royal Family during the last year state visit.
Nothing to expect from a man withouth any sense of History, Dignity and simply good manners.

Deep apologies from France.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/internationa...-l-absence-d-elizabeth-ii-fait-polemique-.php

As a french citizen i am deeply shocked and ashamed by the behaviour of my government.
Most people do not blame French citizens, who have always been more than welcoming at any D Day celebration, they simply blame your government, how soon they forget the debt/freedom they owe those men and women.:flowers:

This is very sad. It seems that President Sarkozy is more concerned about his own international stature than about the event itself and the surviving servicemen. Are we really meant to believe that Britain and Canada played such an irrelevant role on D-Day?

This is very sad. It seems that President Sarkozy is more concerned about his own international stature than about the event itself and the surviving servicemen. Are we really meant to believe that Britain and Canada played such an irrelevant role on D-Day?

Despite Pres Sarkozy's intent I doubt that this fracas will do anything to add kudos to his international standing. Whilst no-one wants to undermine the war contribution of the USA, (and I've cried my way along that coastline through the multitude of memorials and museums on several occasions) I doubt that many Europeans will be in agreement with his decision to sideline the British monarchy. Its a very great shame that the last few Veterans will not get to see and be honoured by the Queen at what is in all liklihood their last major ceremony.
:britflag::nonono::sad:

yeah this is ridiculous, what is sad abt this is that the queen is getting on in years as are the veterans of course, it may be the last time many of them march and the last time (god forbid) the queen attends, that is what is to me the ultimate disrespect for the war generation. Those men march with such pride in front of their queen and to her its so important for obvious reasons. The queen is probably very upset over this. Shame on the french govt and shame on the british govt for not demanding that the queen be invited. I am american but this is not abt the franco american relationship, it is about the men from many countries who fought in the war.

Another from The Mail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...-collaboration-French-forgive-saving-War.html
It is not too much to say that without the involvement of this country there would have been no invasion of France. Had Britain not won the Battle of Britain, and stood alone for 18 months while America sat on the sidelines and France lay beaten and humiliated by the Nazis, there could have been no invasion of Normandy, and no liberation of Europe.
Saving France cost the lives of 17,556 British and 5,316 Canadian servicemen

The French bowed to British anger yesterday over their failure to invite the Queen to next week's D-Day events.
After an outcry revealed in yesterday's Daily Mail, they announced that she was 'welcome' after all at the 65th anniversary.

French D-Day surrender: Sarkozy makes U-turn and says Queen IS welcome at 65th anniversary | Mail Online
--------------------------------
British National Party leader Nick Griffin has bowed out of attending a Buckingham Palace garden party, saying he had "no wish to embarrass the Queen

BNP leader Nick Griffin pulls out of Buckingham Palace garden party - Telegraph
------------------------------
I don't agree with his views/politics but do wonder at the message the furore sends?:nonono:

Pics 28.5.2009

Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh inspect the Graduation
Squadron of the RAF Regiment at RAF Cranwell Lincolnshire, May 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

This article says that No Member of The Royal Family will attend? Is that the truth? After all this palava, I wouldn't be so sure whether I would attend or not.
x
NO member of Royal family to attend D-Day 65th anniversary because they did not receive official invite, says Palace

Neither the Queen nor any other member of the Royal family will attend the D-Day commemorations in France next week, Buckingham Palace said today

NO member of Royal family to attend D-Day 65th anniversary | Mail Online

It's disgraceful, and very sad for the veterans who are attending.

That Daily Mail article gives 22,872 good reasons why HM should have been invited and given pride of place. I wonder if Sarkozy understands how mightily he has messed up on this issue.

I tell you what, the French president and American powers that be, and I am American, lest you think otherwise, are turning this into a complete disaster! The French president seems to be under the impression that the British did not help in D Day, when in fact they played an integral role..... This is just disgraceful.

I've said it once, and I will say it again. President Sarkozy would not know proper etiquette if it hit him on the nose and then shoved itself down his throat!

Talk about a lack for respect. And coming from a man who wasn't even born when WWII occurred. Show some respect! Especially to a woman who even though she could have gotten out of doing anything at all, did all that she could!

Last edited:
my first post on here.
got to see the queen close up in leight last week.
was a wonderful day and something i will never forget.
i never got to thank the guy with the grey beard a and your friend,who passed the couple of hours with stories of the queen.and thanks for shouting her over i dont think she would of come otherwise :D
anyways here is a link of the video i got of her.
it"s only 20 seconds long
YouTube - MVI 1195

It's disgraceful, and very sad for the veterans who are attending.

That Daily Mail article gives 22,872 good reasons why HM should have been invited and given pride of place. I wonder if Sarkozy understands how mightily he has messed up on this issue.

I'm sure he doesn't care. Or he thinks that dissing the British will go down well at home. This is the guy who refused to spend two whole days in Britain during a state visit while making it abundantly clear that he didn't have urgent business to attend to back in France, he just didn't want to be bothered to accept HM's invitation without making that into a snub too. He's so busy smarming up to Obama to try and make himself into a big deal internationally that I'm sure the feelings of the British and Commonwealth servicemen who fought on behalf of his country are of no account to him whatever.

Thanks for sharing that video, apc nev!:flowers: That must have been an occasion to remember!

He is a narcissistic fool if you want my opinion. And like I said, he wouldn't know etiquette, let alone class, respect or manners if they fell on his head.

Last edited:
He's likely to set Anglo-French relations back 150 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom