The Prince of Wales Current Events 8: January-April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JEBURGH-born MP Ian Davidson has accused the Prince of Wales of political meddling this week over the latter's decision to boycott this summer's Olympics in Beijing, writes Mark Entwistle.

Davidson hits out at Prince Charles over Olympics boycott - Borders Today
-----------
Not much hope for British politics. This person is ranting about Prince Charles not going to the Olympics, despite the fact that Charles has only ever been once, wasn't invited in the first place AND has released a statement saying this was the case! :bang::bang:

Pics 31.1.2008

You are most welcome as always :flowers:

Here are some pics from today:

The Prince of Wales delivers a keynote speech during his address at
the 'New Buildings in Old Places' conference inside St James's Palace
in central London ( Pic 1 + 2)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Charles attends The General Osteopathic Council conference
at Drapers Hall in the City of London today where he addressed delegates:

** Pic 3 **

Prince Charles´ Valentine train
Jan 31

The prince will take a Eurostar train to Brussels, in Belgium, where he will give a speech to the European Parliament on February 14, but has insisted on returning to London in time for a romantic evening with wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

Prince Charles' Valentine train - Royal Watch

Prince Charles´ Valentine train
Jan 31

The prince will take a Eurostar train to Brussels, in Belgium, where he will give a speech to the European Parliament on February 14, but has insisted on returning to London in time for a romantic evening with wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

Prince Charles' Valentine train - Royal Watch

I don't believe it - they quote the Daily Express aka "Di Express" and it's favorable for Charles. Okay, he takes an express train to Brussels and back but still... Are times really changing now? :flowers:

I don't believe it - they quote the Daily Express aka "Di Express" and it's favorable for Charles. Okay, he takes an express train to Brussels and back but still... Are times really changing now? :flowers:
We will have to wait for the turn around, it is as you say the notorious Di Express!

Jo and Skydragon, i agree when you distrust of any news from the D.... Express, but if it´s true that Charles will return on Valentine´s Day to London to spend the evening with Camilla, i think it would be a very romantically gesture...:wub:

The Prince of Wales has praised Britain's high-achieving businesswomen for the "huge impact" they have made on the country's economy.

The Press Association: Prince's plaudits for businesswomen

Pics 1.2.2008

More pics from today, including one with Cherie Blair :)

Prince Charles attends 'Opportunity Now' reception
The Prince of Wales, speaks to high-achieving businesswomen, as
President of Business in the Community at the 'Opportunity Now'
reception at Clarence House, London, where he honoured the
achievements of women leaders in business and society.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

More pics from today, including one with Cherie Blair :)

Prince Charles attends 'Opportunity Now' reception
The Prince of Wales, speaks to high-achieving businesswomen, as President of Business in the Community at the 'Opportunity Now' reception at Clarence House, London, where he honoured the achievements of women leaders in business and society.
** Pic 4 **
Thank you for the pictures. :flowers: Now I do like Charles' outfit, but Cherie could do with a little toning down! :lol:

Why was Cherie wearing a furnishing fabric? Let us hope the window didn't look too bare without it.

Why was Cherie wearing a furnishing fabric? Let us hope the window didn't look too bare without it.

Seems since she has to pay for her residence, she decided to save a bit at the clothes' front.:D Or she found that now that her husband is no longer PM she has to do something to amuse the prince in order to be recognized by him.:D:D Or she became a fan of Winnie Mandela - let's hope she is not going to have her ownn "football club" (that is a bad one, I know.:D:D:D).

Prince urges organic menu for hospitals
Prince urges organic menu for hospitals | Society | The Observer

Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama
Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama | the Daily Mail

Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests
Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests - Telegraph

Of the three articles, the one most interesting to me is the one about the Dalai Lama. I am a fan is his. I am glad Charles supports him.
Lexi

I can see both sides to it. 1) Britain can't ignore China and would be cutting her nose off to spite her face by not trading with her. We can't afford not to trade with China. 2) China's treatment of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan people has been shocking IMO. But our foreign policy is directed by the Government and not the Prince of Wales and whilst he may want to show friendship to His Holiness, he's essentially getting in the way of foreign affairs which is potentially very dangerous.

I can see both sides to it. 1) Britain can't ignore China and would be cutting her nose off to spite her face by not trading with her. We can't afford not to trade with China. 2) China's treatment of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan people has been shocking IMO. But our foreign policy is directed by the Government and not the Prince of Wales and whilst he may want to show friendship to His Holiness, he's essentially getting in the way of foreign affairs which is potentially very dangerous.

No it isn't potentially dangerous & is in fact perfectly in line with British foreign policy strategy. When the Chinese president etc. comes to town the British government rolls out the Prime Minister & the Queen & Prince Andrrew to greet them. When the Dalai Lama visits he is met & entertained by Prince Charles & members of the Foreign Office & International Develpment department. That wat the Brits get to have their cake & eat it with regard to trade & supporting human rights. Unlike Angela Merkel in Germany who gets into terrible trouble with the Chinese everytime she meets the Dalai Lama. Unfortunately for Prince Charles's reputation for the British policy to work properly it has to be hidden from the Chinese. The result is that the press have a field day with ithe supposedly nterfering politicking Prince Charles every time the Foreign Office play the trick.

I respectfully disagree. If Charles is seen to be doing the opposite to what the Prime Minister is doing then he's contradicting foreign policy. Gordon Brown recently met the Chinese President and to keep him happy, he hasn't met with the Dalai Lama but Prince Charles has. This sends out a mixed message to the Chinese government and I personally feel that Charles should really stay out of such a potentially fiery business. When he's King, the politicians will be carrying out foreign policy in his name which they surely can't do if he's known to be an advocate for Tibetan freedom and the Government isn't?

I respectfully disagree. If Charles is seen to be doing the opposite to what the Prime Minister is doing then he's contradicting foreign policy. Gordon Brown recently met the Chinese President and to keep him happy, he hasn't met with the Dalai Lama but Prince Charles has. This sends out a mixed message to the Chinese government and I personally feel that Charles should really stay out of such a potentially fiery business. When he's King, the politicians will be carrying out foreign policy in his name which they surely can't do if he's known to be an advocate for Tibetan freedom and the Government isn't?

The Dalai Lama is His Holiness but in addition he is the ex-king of Tibet - okay, Godking, but still, he is a king in exile. King Constantine of Greece lives in Britain and is received at court there, but the government has no problem with their Greek counterparts when it comes to Foreign policies and the EU. So where's the difference? The propblem is that China is not willing to accept that the Dalai Lama still is a spiritual leader and has a claim to Tibet, so they use their economic and political power to make it appear as if he was a nuisance. While the Greek are more diplomatic about their history. But does that mean that Britian has to adapt their politics to it? IMHO no.

Charles has my full support about his views of the Dalai Lama and the Chinese gouvernment. On the other side, i think, as The Prince of Wales and the future King he has to work hand i hand with the British government and he has in his official function to seperate his private views from the official ones he has to represent.
I understand that it´s hard for him to do, but i think it is necessary for a solid unified picture of the UK in the world.

Btw, the German chanchellor Angela Merkel only once met the Dalai Lama. And yes, she got some trouble with the Chinese. But she´s the head of the government and that´s something different, i think.:flowers:

I totally agree with you both and I fully accept that the Dalai Lama is a charming man whom I adore but the fact remains that unlike King Constantine, he's trying to get his realm back and he's openly opposed to the Chinese government. A visit to or from the Dalai Lama is to directly challenge the Chinese and I don't think we can do that. I'm afraid the Prince of Wales can't have private views when they concern something as important as trade with the Chinese. I'd love to see His Holiness back in Tibet and doing his thang but the Chinese wouldn't and it's the Chinese we rather depend on.

I totally agree with you both and I fully accept that the Dalai Lama is a charming man whom I adore but the fact remains that unlike King Constantine, he's trying to get his realm back and he's openly opposed to the Chinese government. A visit to or from the Dalai Lama is to directly challenge the Chinese and I don't think we can do that. I'm afraid the Prince of Wales can't have private views when they concern something as important as trade with the Chinese. I'd love to see His Holiness back in Tibet and doing his thang but the Chinese wouldn't and it's the Chinese we rather depend on.

I doubt that offcial politics have that much to do with the question how the Chinese are viewing the cooperation with said country. For them, business comes first and if the offer of a British company is better than that of a German one, the British company gets the contract under the understanding that all other negociations were successful, whatever they included. And if, if the EU nations would act like one, maybe the Chinese would understand that Human Rights have a meaning over there and not only money. For them what a lot of countries is doing is prostitution - and that has been a very negative thing in China for a long time. Charles does not prostitute himself for China's sake and that warrants the respect even of the Chinese.

But it isn't in the interest of the British economy. And though I feel very sorry for those allegedly abused by the Chinese, I'm afraid one Prince won't change that. He really has to be careful when interfering in things that don't concern him.

I doubt that offcial politics have that much to do with the question how the Chinese are viewing the cooperation with said country. For them, business comes first and if the offer of a British company is better than that of a German one, the British company gets the contract under the understanding that all other negociations were successful, whatever they included. And if, if the EU nations would act like one, maybe the Chinese would understand that Human Rights have a meaning over there and not only money. For them what a lot of countries is doing is prostitution - and that has been a very negative thing in China for a long time. Charles does not prostitute himself for China's sake and that warrants the respect even of the Chinese.
Well said Jo. It is about time Gordon Brown stopped throwing taxpayers money about and concentrated on the UK. China will look after China before any other considerations. Charles is staying out of politics by welcoming the Dalai Lama in a non political way.

Which is not how the Chinese see it. I know Charles is doing it non-politically but surely we also know that if Charles had to ask permission to meet the DL, he'd be refused it. And will the DL expect the same support from Charles when he's King and can't give it? It's a slippery slope.

But it isn't in the interest of the British economy. And though I feel very sorry for those allegedly abused by the Chinese, I'm afraid one Prince won't change that. He really has to be careful when interfering in things that don't concern him.

Our chancellor Mrs. Merkel received the Dalai Lama despite protests from her minister for trade and economics. China protested. So what? Germany's doing still more and more business with China because at the moment they want something our economy can offer. That's business, plain and simple. Global business.

Thank you for the nice pics, giov!:flowers:

The Prince of Wales today urged hospital trusts to see food as a "medicine" in itself as he highlighted the importance of nutritional meals being served to patients during a visit to the Royal Brompton Hospital in London today.

The Prince of Wales - HRH visits the Royal Brompton Hospital

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales today urged hospital trusts to see food as a "medicine" in itself as he highlighted the importance of nutritional meals being served to patients during a visit to the Royal Brompton Hospital in London today.
Thank you for the pictures giov and the article milla Ca. :flowers: He is right, I had to visit someone in the 'main' hospital in the Highlands and she had asked for salad as she is a vegie, who could possibly mess that up..... Raigmore's salad consisted of - one spoon of pasta and sweetcorn in, we are not sure what, one spoon of Rice with Peas, one spoon coleslaw, one lettuce leaf and half a small tomatoe. Followed by ice cream, we immediately instigated a rescue and took food in with us each time we went! :lol:

Well let's put it this way - global nuclear armageddon would be similar to a Friday night in Burnley. So it needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom