The Prince of Wales Current Events 8: January-April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something special about this borough? Or why was it chosen?
To any Southerner (South of the Watford Gap) Burnley, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc are considered 'uncouth, troublemakers, rude, ignorant, rundown trouble spots. It is often said that civilisation stops at the Watford Gap!

Burnley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burnley has lost significant portions of its traditional manufacturing base over the past twenty years. In June 2001, the town received national attention following a series of violent disturbances arising from racial tension between elements of its white and immigrant communities

troublemakers, rude, ignorant,

And thats just the nuns. Trust me Jo, you never want to go to Burnley. It's twinned with Beirut and a night out isn't complete without bottling a pensioner for his luncheon vouchers.

And thats just the nuns. Trust me Jo, you never want to go to Burnley. It's twinned with Beirut and a night out isn't complete without bottling a pensioner for his luncheon vouchers.

I had the misfortune once to travel by tube through Brixton when there were riots - when we emerged at the surface, there were burning barricades etc.. Police had cordoned the tube station off and brought us politely to waiting buses that took the passengers to their destinations so we arrived safely down in Forrest Hill where we stayed with friends at that time. It was really a shocking view.

So Burnley - okay. We have such towns as well here in Germany, unfortunately and I'm thankful I don't have to live there or anywhere close by.
But it's great that the prince is willing to do something about the situation down there.

Excuse me:bang: My partner is from Burnley & I've seen more disgusting drunken behaviour by louts hanging around near Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery in London than Burnley. Burnley also has a really lovely art gallery set in rolling green parkland housing the collections of the local Townley family. The best part of the Townley's collection was one of the largest and best private collection of antique sculpture acquired in the 18th century. However, this was snitched by the British Museum and Londoners now get to see it probably thinking it belonged to a Londoner all along! I say that as a Londoner born and bred! It also has some of the earliest weaving sheds and mills in the country, which Prince Charles helped to save from demolition in the 1980s. But the Wikipedia entry is correct to point out that its textile industry has suffered sharp decline over the last 20 years, being undercut by much cheaper imports from China.

Well, I stand by my comments as I've been to Burnley and I honestly thought there'd been some sort of exchange programme with Chernobyl victims but I'll acknowledge that for some people Burnley is appealing and I'm glad it has it's fans.

A silenced Prince
February 11

The Prince of Wales is in Brussels this Wednesday and Thursday, his first visit to Belgium since 1999 and his first to the institutions of the European Union for 16 years. But he will not be holding any press conferences.

A silenced prince : February 2008 : Bruno Waterfield : Foreign : Telegraph Blogs

(...) Good for the Prince of Wales, who has been one of the few to speak out about this elephant in the room, this little difficulty that many politicians and athletics officials are determined to ignore for the sake of international sporting relations.

Prince Charles knocks China for British sport - Telegraph

Prince Charles knocks China for British sport

(...) Good for the Prince of Wales, who has been one of the few to speak out about this elephant in the room, this little difficulty that many politicians and athletics officials are determined to ignore for the sake of international sporting relations.

I agree entirely with the sentiment within the artcle. Lets ignore the nasty bits as long as we can try to show how 'great' we are at sport!

Thank you again, stephanievl :flowers:, unfortunately i can not open many of the links you posted.:neutral:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

here are my two favourite pics:

Prince Charles is welcomed by Princess Mathilde and Prince Philippe
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

The Prince of Wales talks to the Belgian Prince and Princess at Laeken Castle
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Last edited:
A silenced Prince
February 11

The Prince of Wales is in Brussels this Wednesday and Thursday, his first visit to Belgium since 1999 and his first to the institutions of the European Union for 16 years. But he will not be holding any press conferences.

A silenced prince : February 2008 : Bruno Waterfield : Foreign : Telegraph Blogs

I think one should be rather doubtful about claims coming from the Telegraph which is a very Eurosceptic newspapert hat the Prince is himself strongly Eurosceptic. Several of the environmental and heritage projects that the Prince has supported in the past have had much support from the European Union. For example last year he reopened the marvellously renovated and redcorated 19th-century St. George's Hall in Liverpool, whose renovation was supported mainly by funds from the EU and barely a penny from Blair's government. + In 2001/02 when Britain's farmers were so badly affected by foot & mouth disease it was the EU who proposed the vaccination policy supported by Prince Charles not the British government who refused to implement that policy.

Several of the environmental and heritage projects that the Prince has supported in the past have had much support from the European Union. For example last year he reopened the marvellously renovated and redcorated 19th-century St. George's Hall in Liverpool, whose renovation was supported mainly by funds from the EU and barely a penny from Blair's government. + In 2001/02 when Britain's farmers were so badly affected by foot & mouth disease it was the EU who proposed the vaccination policy supported by Prince Charles not the British government who refused to implement that policy.
Just because he opened a hall. it does not mean he supports the EU. Vaccination of cattle against F&M is still not accepted by many British farmers, no matter who proposes it.

The EU like any organisation can have the odd good idea, but the stupidity over seeds, forcing British farmers not to grow good old fashioned apples and many of the other rules the UK adheres to, (while other EU nations ignore them), does not mean it is the way forward.

Charles has apparently been silenced on this trip, otherwise where are the statements, the interviews, etc.

Britain's Prince Charles, called on Thursday for a global fund to preserve tropical rainforests from destruction.
"In the simplest of terms, we have to find a way to make the forests worth more alive than dead," the heir to the British throne told the European Parliament in an address.

ENN: Britain's Prince Charles urges rainforest funding

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been accused by Labour of "anti-Royalism" for refusing to take part in a standing ovation for Prince Charles

BBC NEWS | Politics | UKIP anger at prince's EU speech

Thank you for the articles, Skydragon!:flowers:

"I was embarrassed and disgusted when Mr Farage remained firmly seated during the lengthy standing ovation Prince Charles received.(...)

theparliament.com - Row flares over 'snub' to British royal in EU parliament

The Prince of Wales urged the international community to wage war against “the doomsday clock of climate change” today and to adopt “courageous and revolutionary” measures against the threat.

Prince Charles says EU can stop us sleepwalking to climate catastrophe - Times Online

Princess Mathilde of Belgium might be married to her own prince but that doesn't prevent her appreciating the attentions of another charming royal.

Charming Charles impresses Mathilde with his gallantry

Last edited:
oh please. Anyone can refuse to stand during a standing ovation. they didn't stand because they disagree with what he said, not who he is.

I can´t agree.
The Prince was a special guest in the EU parliament yesterday. And i think, it was extremly impolite for a member of the parliament to stay on the seat after HRH ended the speech !:bang:

Last edited:
milla Ca;729687[B said:
Charming Charles impresses Mathilde with his gallantry[/B]

Princess Mathilde of Belgium might be married to her own prince but that doesn't prevent her appreciating the attentions of another charming royal.

Charming Charles impresses Mathilde with his gallantry
Thank You for the articles milla Ca. :flowers: Princess Mathilde is certainly a special lady and it is sweet to see her reaction to a genteel greeting. :flowers:

oh please. Anyone can refuse to stand during a standing ovation. they didn't stand because they disagree with what he said, not who he is.
It was churlish and he has done his party no favours with such petty behaviour! :bang:

It was churlish and he has done his party no favours with such petty behaviour! :bang:

he has his opinion like everyone else in the parliment who invited him. The group invited Prince Charles, that doesn't mean that they all agree with him. I applaud him for holding onto his belief.

he has his opinion like everyone else in the parliment who invited him. The group invited Prince Charles, that doesn't mean that they all agree with him. I applaud him for holding onto his belief.
Lets see....

1. UKIP does not want the UK to be involved in Europe in any way, shape or form, so his 'belief' isn't strong enough for him to resign from an organisation that he wants no involvement with.

2. He had the option, bearing in mind he wants the UK to cut ties with the EU, to absent himself, as he has been known to do in the past, or listen to what Charles was saying when he suggested europe could lead the way in the fight against global warming, which was a separate message from 'should we be part of the EU.

To me whether we are part of the EU or not, we are still part of Europe.

He displayed extreme bad manners and ignorance, of what was being discussed. As you say Charles was invited and if this ghastly little man didn't agree with that, he should have stayed home, that is what you do if you are acting on 'principles'!
But let's face it, nobody took them seriously anyway.
True! :lol: I wonder how much he is paid (salary and expenses) to represent the UK in a union he stands against. How can you be campaigning for UK Independence from Europe, whilst taking money for representing the UK in Europe? The mind boggles! :lol:

HRH returns to Burnley, Lancashire and pledges the continued support of The Prince´s Charities
15th February

The Prince of Wales has pledged the support of six national charities which he created to work in partnership with Burnley Borough Council, local businesses and other government and voluntary organisations in taking forward the regeneration of Burnley.

The Prince of Wales - HRH returns to Burnley, Lancashire and pledges the continued support of The Prince's Charities

Famous for his views on the environment, Prince Charles has taken his campaign to save the world's rainforests to the heart of Europe.

Green champion Charles calls for action to save the planet

Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute regiment, Prince Charles, met about 500 soldiers and their families, near their base in Colchester, Essex.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Essex | Prince meets battle-bound troops

Last edited:
THE Prince of Wales has found a fresh target for his withering hatred of modern architecture. He branded a university building where he was addressing a gathering of paratroopers today a “dustbin”.
The oval-shaped Ivor Crewe building at Essex university in Colchester was described by an architectural critic recently as a building which “surprises and shines with its unusual design and the material mix of stainless steel and glass.

Prince Charles says modern architecture is rubbish - Times Online

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can." :lol:
Apparently, they were all in fits of laughter over his very apt description! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom