The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
Prince urges organic menu for hospitals
Prince urges organic menu for hospitals | Society | The Observer

Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama
Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama | the Daily Mail

Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests
Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests - Telegraph
__________________

__________________
  #42  
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Prince urges organic menu for hospitals
Prince urges organic menu for hospitals | Society | The Observer

Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama
Gordon Brown faces rift with Prince Charles over 'snub' to Dalai Lama | the Daily Mail

Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests
Prince Charles's wish: to save rainforests - Telegraph
Of the three articles, the one most interesting to me is the one about the Dalai Lama. I am a fan is his. I am glad Charles supports him.
Lexi
__________________

__________________
  #43  
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
I can see both sides to it. 1) Britain can't ignore China and would be cutting her nose off to spite her face by not trading with her. We can't afford not to trade with China. 2) China's treatment of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan people has been shocking IMO. But our foreign policy is directed by the Government and not the Prince of Wales and whilst he may want to show friendship to His Holiness, he's essentially getting in the way of foreign affairs which is potentially very dangerous.
__________________
  #44  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Merseyside, United Kingdom
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I can see both sides to it. 1) Britain can't ignore China and would be cutting her nose off to spite her face by not trading with her. We can't afford not to trade with China. 2) China's treatment of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan people has been shocking IMO. But our foreign policy is directed by the Government and not the Prince of Wales and whilst he may want to show friendship to His Holiness, he's essentially getting in the way of foreign affairs which is potentially very dangerous.
No it isn't potentially dangerous & is in fact perfectly in line with British foreign policy strategy. When the Chinese president etc. comes to town the British government rolls out the Prime Minister & the Queen & Prince Andrrew to greet them. When the Dalai Lama visits he is met & entertained by Prince Charles & members of the Foreign Office & International Develpment department. That wat the Brits get to have their cake & eat it with regard to trade & supporting human rights. Unlike Angela Merkel in Germany who gets into terrible trouble with the Chinese everytime she meets the Dalai Lama. Unfortunately for Prince Charles's reputation for the British policy to work properly it has to be hidden from the Chinese. The result is that the press have a field day with ithe supposedly nterfering politicking Prince Charles every time the Foreign Office play the trick.
__________________
  #45  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
I respectfully disagree. If Charles is seen to be doing the opposite to what the Prime Minister is doing then he's contradicting foreign policy. Gordon Brown recently met the Chinese President and to keep him happy, he hasn't met with the Dalai Lama but Prince Charles has. This sends out a mixed message to the Chinese government and I personally feel that Charles should really stay out of such a potentially fiery business. When he's King, the politicians will be carrying out foreign policy in his name which they surely can't do if he's known to be an advocate for Tibetan freedom and the Government isn't?
__________________
  #46  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I respectfully disagree. If Charles is seen to be doing the opposite to what the Prime Minister is doing then he's contradicting foreign policy. Gordon Brown recently met the Chinese President and to keep him happy, he hasn't met with the Dalai Lama but Prince Charles has. This sends out a mixed message to the Chinese government and I personally feel that Charles should really stay out of such a potentially fiery business. When he's King, the politicians will be carrying out foreign policy in his name which they surely can't do if he's known to be an advocate for Tibetan freedom and the Government isn't?
The Dalai Lama is His Holiness but in addition he is the ex-king of Tibet - okay, Godking, but still, he is a king in exile. King Constantine of Greece lives in Britain and is received at court there, but the government has no problem with their Greek counterparts when it comes to Foreign policies and the EU. So where's the difference? The propblem is that China is not willing to accept that the Dalai Lama still is a spiritual leader and has a claim to Tibet, so they use their economic and political power to make it appear as if he was a nuisance. While the Greek are more diplomatic about their history. But does that mean that Britian has to adapt their politics to it? IMHO no.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #47  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
milla Ca's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 1,515
Charles has my full support about his views of the Dalai Lama and the Chinese gouvernment. On the other side, i think, as The Prince of Wales and the future King he has to work hand i hand with the British government and he has in his official function to seperate his private views from the official ones he has to represent.
I understand that it´s hard for him to do, but i think it is necessary for a solid unified picture of the UK in the world.

Btw, the German chanchellor Angela Merkel only once met the Dalai Lama. And yes, she got some trouble with the Chinese. But she´s the head of the government and that´s something different, i think.
__________________
´We will all have to account for our actions to our children and grand-children, and if we don´t get this right, how will they ever forgive us?´
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
  #48  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
I totally agree with you both and I fully accept that the Dalai Lama is a charming man whom I adore but the fact remains that unlike King Constantine, he's trying to get his realm back and he's openly opposed to the Chinese government. A visit to or from the Dalai Lama is to directly challenge the Chinese and I don't think we can do that. I'm afraid the Prince of Wales can't have private views when they concern something as important as trade with the Chinese. I'd love to see His Holiness back in Tibet and doing his thang but the Chinese wouldn't and it's the Chinese we rather depend on.
__________________
  #49  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I totally agree with you both and I fully accept that the Dalai Lama is a charming man whom I adore but the fact remains that unlike King Constantine, he's trying to get his realm back and he's openly opposed to the Chinese government. A visit to or from the Dalai Lama is to directly challenge the Chinese and I don't think we can do that. I'm afraid the Prince of Wales can't have private views when they concern something as important as trade with the Chinese. I'd love to see His Holiness back in Tibet and doing his thang but the Chinese wouldn't and it's the Chinese we rather depend on.
I doubt that offcial politics have that much to do with the question how the Chinese are viewing the cooperation with said country. For them, business comes first and if the offer of a British company is better than that of a German one, the British company gets the contract under the understanding that all other negociations were successful, whatever they included. And if, if the EU nations would act like one, maybe the Chinese would understand that Human Rights have a meaning over there and not only money. For them what a lot of countries is doing is prostitution - and that has been a very negative thing in China for a long time. Charles does not prostitute himself for China's sake and that warrants the respect even of the Chinese.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #50  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
But it isn't in the interest of the British economy. And though I feel very sorry for those allegedly abused by the Chinese, I'm afraid one Prince won't change that. He really has to be careful when interfering in things that don't concern him.
__________________
  #51  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I doubt that offcial politics have that much to do with the question how the Chinese are viewing the cooperation with said country. For them, business comes first and if the offer of a British company is better than that of a German one, the British company gets the contract under the understanding that all other negociations were successful, whatever they included. And if, if the EU nations would act like one, maybe the Chinese would understand that Human Rights have a meaning over there and not only money. For them what a lot of countries is doing is prostitution - and that has been a very negative thing in China for a long time. Charles does not prostitute himself for China's sake and that warrants the respect even of the Chinese.
Well said Jo. It is about time Gordon Brown stopped throwing taxpayers money about and concentrated on the UK. China will look after China before any other considerations. Charles is staying out of politics by welcoming the Dalai Lama in a non political way.
__________________
  #52  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Which is not how the Chinese see it. I know Charles is doing it non-politically but surely we also know that if Charles had to ask permission to meet the DL, he'd be refused it. And will the DL expect the same support from Charles when he's King and can't give it? It's a slippery slope.
__________________
  #53  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
THE SPICE GIRLS svengali and AMERICAN IDOL creator SIMON FULLER was honoured by PRINCE CHARLES and British Prime Minister GORDON BROWN at the Producer's Guild Awards on Saturday

SPICE GIRLS - PRINCE CHARLES' TRIBUTE TO AMERICAN IDOL BOSS
__________________
  #54  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
But it isn't in the interest of the British economy. And though I feel very sorry for those allegedly abused by the Chinese, I'm afraid one Prince won't change that. He really has to be careful when interfering in things that don't concern him.
Our chancellor Mrs. Merkel received the Dalai Lama despite protests from her minister for trade and economics. China protested. So what? Germany's doing still more and more business with China because at the moment they want something our economy can offer. That's business, plain and simple. Global business.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #55  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
giov's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roma, Italy
Posts: 2,342
Prince of Wales tours Royal Brompton Hospital, February 5 2008
Fotobanka isifa image service
__________________
  #56  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
milla Ca's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 1,515
Thank you for the nice pics, giov!
_____________________________
HRH visits the Royal Brompton Hospital
February 5

The Prince of Wales today urged hospital trusts to see food as a "medicine" in itself as he highlighted the importance of nutritional meals being served to patients during a visit to the Royal Brompton Hospital in London today.

The Prince of Wales - HRH visits the Royal Brompton Hospital
__________________
´We will all have to account for our actions to our children and grand-children, and if we don´t get this right, how will they ever forgive us?´
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
  #57  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
The Prince of Wales today urged hospital trusts to see food as a "medicine" in itself as he highlighted the importance of nutritional meals being served to patients during a visit to the Royal Brompton Hospital in London today.
Thank you for the pictures giov and the article milla Ca. He is right, I had to visit someone in the 'main' hospital in the Highlands and she had asked for salad as she is a vegie, who could possibly mess that up..... Raigmore's salad consisted of - one spoon of pasta and sweetcorn in, we are not sure what, one spoon of Rice with Peas, one spoon coleslaw, one lettuce leaf and half a small tomatoe. Followed by ice cream, we immediately instigated a rescue and took food in with us each time we went!
__________________
  #58  
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
PRINCE Charles is to forge a special partnership with Burnley, the Express can today reveal.
The Prince will visit the town on a special fact-finding mission on Thursday, February 21st, as the first stage of a project which aims to help regenerate the area.

Prince Charles to forge 'partnership' with Burnley - Burnley Express
__________________
  #59  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
PRINCE Charles is to forge a special partnership with Burnley, the Express can today reveal.
The Prince will visit the town on a special fact-finding mission on Thursday, February 21st, as the first stage of a project which aims to help regenerate the area.

Prince Charles to forge 'partnership' with Burnley - Burnley Express
Is there something special about this borough? Or why was it chosen?
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #60  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Well let's put it this way - global nuclear armageddon would be similar to a Friday night in Burnley. So it needs help.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, Current Events 4: March 2007-September 2008 Avalon Current Events Archive 425 09-15-2008 08:57 AM
Prince William current events 20: January-May 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 413 05-02-2008 08:54 AM
Prince William and Kate Middleton current events 3: January - February 2008 Warren Current Events Archive 242 02-07-2008 07:52 AM
The Prince of Wales Current Events 7: 27 September 2007-1 January 2008 Elspeth Current Events Archive 183 01-01-2008 06:52 PM
The Prince of Wales current events 4: January - April 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 161 04-02-2007 10:18 AM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]