The Prince of Wales Current Events 7: September 2007-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks milla Ca. The photos are hilarious! Especially the second one...:lol::lol:

Well, Prince Charles has opened the refurbished Fortnum & Mason luxury store. It's a beautiful store. I recall reading a quote from a letter of Queen Mary to Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, where the Queen complained that the prices of Fortnum & Mason were too high and recommended cheaper alternatives for nursery furniture to the daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch! :D

From Hello! (with two fine pictures)
Prince Charles' official visit to open the newly re-furbished Fortnum & Mason store in London's Piccadilly on Thursday proved to be a particularly tasty one. The heir to the throne licked his lips with relish after he was given some of his own Highrove mutton to try in the food and drink hall and seemed anxious that the staff found it to be as good as he did. "Are you happy with the quality?" he asked them.

The Prince of Wales - HRH opens the newly refurbished Fortnum & Mason store in London's Piccadilly
The Prince of Wales has officially opened the newly refurbished Fortnum & Mason store in London's Piccadilly, and praised the store which he described as "one of the great British institutions".
Around 1,000 invited guests and staff gathered to celebrate the £24 million makeover and 300th birthday of the shop.

Last edited:
Prince Charles is to launch a diplomatic charm offensive in Kampala next week to ensure that he and his son Prince William inherit the Queen's role on the world stage when she dies, the British Daily Mail has said.

allAfrica.com: Uganda: Prince Charles to Campaign At CHOGM (Page 1 of 1)

Library to display da Vinci works

Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci will go on public display in Aberystwyth next year, as part of Prince Charles's 60th birthday celebrations.

BBC NEWS | Wales | Mid Wales | Library to display da Vinci works

Prince Charles made an impassioned attack on "trendy teaching" yesterday as he launched a scheme to reward staff who excel at traditional subjects.

Prince Charles launches fightback against trendy teaching| News | This is London

Happy Birthday Charles and keep up the good work!

Leaked e-mail pitches Prince Charles into heart of row over royal visit to Israel

The Prince of Wales was embroiled last night in a diplomatic row after the leaking of e-mails in which his senior staff made disparaging comments about Israel.
Isn't it annoying that everyones headline makes it sound as if it was Charles 'personally or with knowledge', when he undoubtedly wasn't involved in the decision or emails.

Pics 16.11.2007

Prince Charles, Colonel-in-Chief of Army Air Corps, attending a Service
of Thanksgiving to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of the Army Air
Corps, Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire, Britain - 16 Nov 2007
- I don't know why I had to choose the last pic ;):)

* Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 *

HRH attends the Pearl Award to recognize unsung heroes of the Chinese community
1st November
The Prince said: ´It has in fact been a bit of a Chinese day for my wife and myself.´

The Prince of Wales - HRH attends the Pearl Awards to recognise unsung heroes of the Chinese community

The Prince's speech at The Pearl Awards (3 pictures from Getty)

5 November 2007
The Prince of Wales - HRH leads a group around Poundbury

Giving a tour of the Poundbury village (10 pictures from Getty)

Last edited:
Isn't it annoying that everyones headline makes it sound as if it was Charles 'personally or with knowledge', when he undoubtedly wasn't involved in the decision or emails.

Particularly as Prince Charles only ever goes on official visits abroad at the request of either British gocernment's Foreign Office or the Queen. What must be more worrying for Prince Charles is that there seems to be someone in his office who is prepared to leak internal emails to the press to embarrass the Prince and senior staff on the very day that prince Charles was hosting a dinner for the World Jewish Relief Council of which he is patron. I find it rather difficult to believe that his Deputy Private Secretary would have added the Israeli ambassador to an internal email discussing how to deal with the said ambassador's request.

Well... Prince Charles and the Clarence house are quite "lucky" to employ individuals that tend to unintentionally leak information and cause international controversies.

Last edited:
Well... Prince Charles and the Clarence house are quite "lucky" to employ individuals that tend to unintentionally leak information and cause international controversies.

Sorry, i can´t remember ´international controversies´who were caused by the Prince or his aides.
And i would be ´lucky´ if you couldn´t talk of individuals but of human beings or of persons when you write about the Princes´ staff.

Dear milla CA,
I have expressed my personal subjective opinion regarding the article, which you have provided the link to. In my humble opinion, individuals, persons, and human beings may be viewed as synonyms. If my views do not comply with the rules of this Forum, the post will be deleted by moderators.
{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear milla CA,
I have expressed my personal subjective opinion regarding the article, which you have provided the link to. In my humble opinion, individuals, persons, and human beings may be viewed as synonyms. If my views do not comply with the rules of this Forum, the post will be deleted by moderators.
{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

It's interesting as both milla Ca and Al Bina are no native speakers of English. Alas, I'm none either. Still, for me, the expression "individual" has a certain degrading if not detractive ring to it. Maybe a native speaker is able to explain the finer meanings of the words Al Bina considers to be synonyms while milla and I object? Thank you very much in advance. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting as both milla Ca and Al Bina are no native speakers of English. Alas, I'm none either. Still, for me, the expression "individual" has a certain degrading if not detractive ring to it. Maybe a native speaker is able to explain the finer meanings of the words Al Bina considers to be synonyms while milla and I object? Thank you very much in advance. :flowers:

To me the word "individuals" used in that context rather than, for example, "people", is unusual but not disparaging in any way.

I am confused by what you mean as 'lucky' in this context.

I find it extremely unlucky and worrying, that any member of staff could or would release any information, intentional or not, that should have remained confidential. As for an 'international controversy', I have not heard of any plans to withdraw ambassadors!

I do apologize for creating the word controversy. Sharing the views of Roslyn, I have the following to note. I attend an American University, where the words “individual”, “human being”, “person”, “member”, and “employee” are used as synonyms without any negative meaning. By using the words “individuals” in my post, I wanted to point out at the members of Prince Charles’ staff that made a mistake. Nothing else really…:flowers::)

I am confused by what you mean as 'lucky' in this context.

I find it extremely unlucky and worrying, that any member of staff could or would release any information, intentional or not, that should have remained confidential. As for an 'international controversy', I have not heard of any plans to withdraw ambassadors!
Usually any word placed in inverted commas takes on an opposite meaning (“lucky”= very unlucky). The inverted commas are used to enhance this opposite meaning.
Well, let us rephrase … not create international controversies, but “put the Clarence house and Prince Charles in a slightly awkward situation”. I assume it sounds more diplomatic. :flowers::flowers:

Usually any word placed in inverted commas takes on an opposite meaning (“lucky”= very unlucky). The inverted commas are used to enhance this opposite meaning.
Unfortunately, it just came across as a belief that it was done deliberately by Charles and/or his staff, to me.

I use inverted commas for many reasons when I am writing, but to my knowledge, have never used them to convey the opposite of the word I am using. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom