The Prince of Wales Current Events 7: September 2007-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commonwealth is quietly preparing for life after the Queen by grooming the Prince of Wales for a more prominent role in the club of former British colonies, The Daily Telegraph can disclose

Prince Charles takes first step to key new role - Telegraph

Thank you for posting the article, Skydragon!:flowers:
I think to be leader of the Commonwealth one day will not be an easy job for Charles. The common interest of the countries are rare and the distance to the UK is a long one.
But it´s interesting to see this article in a series of other reports and information who say that Charles takes more and more steps in direction of his future role. It´s important for the monarchy to have such a well prepared Prince of Wales who will be the next on the throne.

One, Charles looks so handsome and I love the pic of him and Camilla holding hands. They are an adorable couple.

Two--why are we talking about Al Gore and the election? It is one thing to discuss Prince Charles' comments in a speech, but to begin discussing Al Gore and politics, well, I don't think this is the place. It's too inflammatory--we should just keep this about Prince Charles---

why are we talking about Al Gore and the election? ...we should just keep this about Prince Charles---
The Al Gore posts and link to an election campaign site have been removed.

What tartens would the PoW use in scotland? Can and does he wear more then one kind?

You ware any kilt you want, just don't claim to be apart of that clan if your not. As to what he wares, that would be Balmoral, Royal Stewart, and Duke of rothsday and maybe more.

Jackie in king fu offer to Charles

Martial arts legend Jackie Chan has offered to teach the Prince of Wales kung fu.

The Press Association: Jackie in kung fu offer to Charles
Members of the British Royal Family tend to excel in polo, which may be viewed as another shared value with the Royal families of the Persian Gulf.

Prince Charles reaches out to China Olympics

The Prince of Wales will declare a ceasefire in his troubled relationship with China by attending a series of high profile events with the country´s ambassador to London and some of its leading businessmen and women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/01/nolympics101.xml
So it may safely be said that the process of searching for shared values with China has started. ... very fast, indeed... I am curious what has prompted such change of moods.

Last edited:
So it may safely be said that the process of searching for shared values with China has started. Very fast, indeed. I am curious what prompted such changes of moods.
IMO, Prince Charles has extended his interests in China long before most of us realised. I just checked some news from Chinese websites. Through the cooperation with Prince's Trust International, several Chinese cities have established offices in helping Chinese young people to enhance their careers. Also another of his core charity "Prince of Wales's international business leader forum" have either sponsored in some main events or it has set up a Chinese business leader forum with the University of People in Beijing about eduacating business people and research and conference about business practice.These happened around 5 to 8 years ago or more.

I guess Prince Charles's numerous friends around the world have experienced the changes in Chinese society and then they told him about that. I am pretty sure that Tom Parker Bowles told him a lot about his own experience in China and probably Robert Davies, Chris Patten, Al Gore, Maurice Strong, Annan and others talked about their experiences in China as well .Prince Charles also has a Chinese young man in office. He met Lang Lang, Shi Zhengrong and others who are outstanding examples who are Chinese but they have been in overseas countries and who has experienced the changes of Chinese society by themselves. If Prince Charles were interested in those, he would always be able to learn more about a new China.

What about violations of humans rights, oppression of Tibet, and the global warming? It is not that important now. I hope there is enough funds in Prince's Trust International to make China forget Prince Charles' cold atitude toward the country.

What about violations of humans rights, oppression of Tibet, and the global warming? It is not that important now. I hope there is enough funds in Prince's Trust International to make China forget Prince Charles' cold atitude toward the country.
If the content below is too political. I am sorry about that. Please delete the posts, administors.

Honestly I don't know. Prince's trust is always about youth's future development. IBLF is about responsible corporate citizenship. These are the two main areas that his charity network is allowed to work with. The global warming issue is that I think he has appealed the developed countries to act as models then let China and India to follow suit.

For human rights and oppression of Tibet, I doubt the prince can do anything about it. After all these are always Chinese interal affairs and the central government willl not change their position about interfernce by outsiders just like the Taiwan problem.All these issues need time to gradually improve and evolve rather than force a very radical way to deal with. For me the economic development, the anti-corruption practice, the enforcement of legal practice, the responsible corporate citizenship, the sustainable development, the reduction of the gap between the rich and the poor, the economic support of developing in Chinese remote areas, the forward thinking problems in Chinese education systems, and the preseve of historical heritages in China.These should be the priporities on the diplomic agenda always. Even he wants to discuss Tibet issue, I hope tha he would do it in discreetion because not even most of Chinese people will be appraise him for doing that.

Even as one of his firm supporters, I am definitely against his involovment in any hyper-senstive political issue. This is called the diplomacy. If he can do that to Saudi royals, he should have been able to do that China. He can give the tolerance to Islamic society, he should be able to give that to Chinese society. Prince Charles as an outsider, I doubt he can do anything. His main aim should help Chinese society to achieve ecomonomic development under the idea of sustaibale development,ethcial legal practice, and effective communication with the world.

The empty of ideas about human rights does not help Chinese people to achieve a better quality of lives but the actual economic development and effective mutual communication in different aspects between countries may help. I definitely never like the history of Chinese society in past 150 years but this shaped the Chinese society of today's. Believe or not, only people who have great capacity to understand the past 150 history and how Chinese people endured those pains through geneations to generations then probaly they will be able to understand the minds of Chinese government and Chinese people. Prince Charles as a historian himself, he should have known that long before. If he failed to ackowledged the past, he would have misunderstanding of the present and the future. The cultural gap between China and the western countries are very large and only once the gap becomes smaller the changes will gradually occur.

Last edited:

I´m sure Prince Charles private opinion about China politics hasn´t changed. But he is the future King, and he prepares himself more and more for this role, and so he has to represent the interests of his country. It´s a question of politic and diplomaty, personal views can only play a secondary role.

You ware any kilt you want, just don't claim to be apart of that clan if your not. As to what he wares, that would be Balmoral, Royal Stewart, and Duke of rothsday and maybe more.
:eek: You should never wear 'any kilt you want', (although it should be any tartan. :flowers:) The only tartan people without a clan affiliation should wear is the Black Watch or the Hunting Stewart.

Charles on the other hand has a choice from these - The Balmoral - Lord of the Isles Hunting - Rothesay Hunting - Gordon - Green Stewart - Royal Stewart - Stewart Hunting and I daresay a couple more I can't remember at the moment! :lol:

:eek: You should never wear 'any kilt you want', (although it should be any tartan. :flowers:) The only tartan people without a clan affiliation should wear is the Black Watch or the Hunting Stewart.

Charles on the other hand has a choice from these - The Balmoral - Lord of the Isles Hunting - Rothesay Hunting - Gordon - Green Stewart - Royal Stewart - Stewart Hunting and I daresay a couple more I can't remember at the moment! :lol:

Sorry, being part scottish did know that, I just put the wrong word.

I´m sure Prince Charles private opinion about China politics hasn´t changed. But he is the future King, and he prepares himself more and more for this role, and so he has to represent the interests of his country. It´s a question of politic and diplomaty, personal views can only play a secondary role.
I agree with you. I am simply surprised to learn that a person, who has been groomed to be a King his whole life, allowed his private opinion to somewhat hurt certain interests of his country. At the same time, I do not mean that Prince Charles damaged the British-Chinese relationships irreversibly. He just added a bit of unneccesary strain to the situation and showed his soft spots as followers might say.
Anyway, the bottom line is that Clarence House and parties involved have stat the process of reparing the above relationhsips and searching for shared values.

Prince Charles expressed his opinion about China in a private diary, which was never supposed to be published or shared with anyone but close friends.

You'll find more information, as well as lengthy discussion about the topic in the Prince Charles's diaries and the court case thread.

This is what I have a problem with. My diary is a private log that I keep to myself. When I'm no longer around, I'm happy for people to delve into it but why would one circulate a diary to friends whilst one is alive and kicking? It makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the additional information…:flowers: Hmm… Cardinal Richelieu comes to mind. Once he was asked how he knew so many details about an alleged plot without torturing confessions out of somebody. Cardinal smiled and answered, “You will be astounded to know what kind of things people commit to writing”.
It does not really matter how the Chinese learnt about Prince Charles’ personal views and inner feelings about them. The Chinese authorities will not easily forget and forgive him. It will take a lot of donations to various organizations to smooth things.
I happen to believe that there is no absolute democracy. Democracy and freedom of speech are relative to the external situation. My philosophy teacher at the institute used to say that democracy is a power of people aptly concentrated in hands of one individual (ruling class).

Last edited:
As Lady Troubridge once said, "Never write anything on paper that you wouldn't like to see printed in a newspaper".

This is what I have a problem with. My diary is a private log that I keep to myself. When I'm no longer around, I'm happy for people to delve into it but why would one circulate a diary to friends whilst one is alive and kicking? It makes no sense to me.

I think what Charles wrote was a kind of traveller´s diary. And if you write something like that ( i do it), it´s normal to give it to close friends how are interested. I also believe that Charles knows who are these friends he can trust.
That someone else has stolen these books to sell it to a newspaper is a criminal act - nothing else.

The Chinese authorities will not easily forget and forgive him. It will take a lot of donations to various organizations to smooth things.

I doubt that the chinese authorities forget and forgive, too. But they are a pragmatic folk, when it suites them, they appear to have forgotten and at the moment it seems that this attitude suits them. Charles OTOH is so long acting on this stage that he knows surely pretty well that the Chinese have to have an interest in him (and want to profit from him) if they appear to be friendlier than before. But I doubt it bothers him because he surely has his own interests in this situation.

Don't worry. President Jiang has already retired for several years and so did other officials belonged to last generation. It was a pity that he did not attend President Hu's state banquet as well,but he just came back Britain from USA. It is understanding. I think the new Chinese ambassador to Britain is quite sucessful in strengthening the relationships. She was the ambassador to Australia before she was posted to Britain.

Prince Charles wrote the diary in 1997, didn't he? Times has changed a lot. Think about the example of Chris Patten and Chinese officials are quite friendly to him after 10 years Hong Kong returning to China. Even Prince Charles's Youth Business Initiatives and International Business Leaders Forums both partner either with very official department or a very official style university of China. Both partners have very strong ties with CCP. Things are not that bad. Once Prince Charles and Camilla visit China next year or so, everything will be fine. IMO Prince Charles has changed his attitudes about China's society from reading his speeches and I am quite paying attention to that and putting great hopes in it.

Last edited:
I doubt that the chinese authorities forget and forgive, too. But they are a pragmatic folk, when it suites them, they appear to have forgotten and at the moment it seems that this attitude suits them. Charles OTOH is so long acting on this stage that he knows surely pretty well that the Chinese have to have an interest in him (and want to profit from him) if they appear to be friendlier than before. But I doubt it bothers him because he surely has his own interests in this situation.
Right you are ... :flowers: They will point to this incident, as and when necessary. China has got "velvet paws that hide sharp claws".

Last edited:
Don't worry. President Jiang has already retired for several years and so did other officials belonged to last generation. It was a pity that he did not attend President Hu's state banquet as well,but he just came back Britain from USA. It is understanding. I think the new Chinese ambassador to Britain is quite sucessful in strengthening the relationships. She was the ambassador to Australia before she was posted to Britain.

Prince Charles wrote the diary in 1997, didn't he? Times has changed a lot. Think about the example of Chris Patten and Chinese officials are quite friendly to him after 10 years Hong Kong returning to China. Even Prince Charles's Youth Business Initiatives and International Business Leaders Forums both partner either with very official department or a very official style university of China. Both partners have very strong ties with CCP. Things are not that bad. Once Prince Charles and Camilla visit China next year or so, everything will be fine. IMO Prince Charles has changed his attitudes about China's society from reading his speeches and I am quite paying attention to that and putting great hopes in it.
I do not worry. It is a "headache" for Prince Charles and the British authorities. Let them worry.
At the same time, I do not believe that he has changed his attitudes about the Chinese society. The change of moods might be vewied as a matter of diplomatic necessity. Afterall, China is one of the wolrd's power-players.

I do not worry. It is a "headache" for Prince Charles and the British authorities. Let them worry.
At the same time, I do not believe that he has changed his attitudes about the Chinese society. The change of moods might be vewied as a matter of diplomatic necessity. Afterall, China is one of the wolrd's power-players.

I think you'll find that it's the Chinese who have changed their position as Love CC & others have pointed out. I think I remember that earlier this year or last, Prince Charles showed a Chinese delegation around Poundbury & they have certainly been showing an interest in the Prince's Trust and the Business Leaders Forum as a model for activities in China. Besides which the Prince's attitude towards the now retired Chinese authorities was based on British govt diplomatic policy. Since 1997 the British govt have had a policy of trundling out the Queen as Head of State to greet the Chinese head of stat whilst Prince Charles (& not the Queen) greets the Dalai Lama when he visits Britain.

Pics 7.11.2007

Prince Charles opens the Royal British Legion's Field of Rememberance,
Alexander Gardens, Cathays Park, Cardiff, Britain - 07 Nov 2007

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Prince Charles addresses the Celtic Nations Business Summit on Climate
Change. His Speech was carried via a Video Link to the Summit's two other
venues in North Wales and Scotland.The Prince said " Business is not only
a major contributor to climate change but can also play a key role in tackling
the problem"

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Charles has been a fan for years. Now the health-conscious tribes of LA and New York are claiming that it can help everything from childhood allergies and eczema to digestive disorders.

In the raw: Question marks over milk - Independent Online Edition > Health

I guess he never met victims of EHEC-infections... In the village where I used to live 5 kindergardeb-kids died because they drank raw milk conterminated by EHECs and shigatoxins..... Nothing to make fun of. It is a risk to drink raw milk - even though it is delicious. And there is not much a farmer can do about EHEC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom