The Prince of Wales Current Events 5: April-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
PrinceCharles.png

Coat of Arms of the Prince of Wales

Welcome to the (Part 5) of the Current Events
of the Prince of Wales

It starts on April 2, 2007

Part 4, covering period from Januray to April 2007
can be found here.

Charles puts Billy back in royal favour | the Daily Mail

Richard Kay actually wrote a nice article on Charles except for that little dig at the end. I am not really surprised Charles is doing it more that Richard wrote something positive about Charles. I still haven't recovered from the shock.:)

It might not have been intentional, but it shows that Charles will be a rather different monarch than his mother in his loyalties.

Charles's amazing embroidered dreamcoat

It may not be the garment of choice for most gardeners and slightly impractical for digging over the vegetable patch. But the Prince of Wales reckoned it was just the job for celebrating 60 years of the popular radio show Gardeners' Question Time.

Charles's amazing embroidered dreamcoat | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Skydragon said:
Prince Charles slams 'crazy' EU laws on seeds

The heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, described as "crazy" European Union legislation which prevents the sale of seeds from old vegetable varieties, in an interview released Wednesday.

Prince Charles slams 'crazy' EU laws on seeds - Yahoo! News

I'm behind him 100% on this issue.

Luckily we don't have any vegetable police in Australia. No Australian politician would dare try to tell us what veggie varieties we can and cannot grow. Heritage varieties are very popular with Australian home gardeners.

Skydragon said:
Charles's amazing embroidered dreamcoat

It may not be the garment of choice for most gardeners and slightly impractical for digging over the vegetable patch. But the Prince of Wales reckoned it was just the job for celebrating 60 years of the popular radio show Gardeners' Question Time.

Charles's amazing embroidered dreamcoat | Uk News | News | Telegraph

I remember that Charles wore this or a similar coat in a TV report about Highgrove some years ago. You could see him in the unusual dress when he was feeding the birds in winter.
And i also know that he wears a coat like this on some photos for the Vogue magazine.
I think he really like it!:flowers:

Skydragon said:
Prince Charles slams 'crazy' EU laws on seeds

The heir to the British throne, Prince Charles, described as "crazy" European Union legislation which prevents the sale of seeds from old vegetable varieties, in an interview released Wednesday.

Prince Charles slams 'crazy' EU laws on seeds - Yahoo! News

I'm behind him on this issue. It's really crazy to prevent he sales of seeds from old vefetable varieties. :ohmy:
They definitely should think more on this legislation.:wacko:

'Boho' Charles robes up for gardening programme

His wardrobe might be thought to consist mainly of Savile Row suits, rustic tweeds and ceremonial garb, but Prince Charles showed a more bohemian side on Tuesday as he welcomed Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time to Highgrove. Taking a leaf out of boho queen Sienna Miller's book - she recently made a bold appearance in large black knickers and once wore a swimming costume to a lunch date - the heir to the throne turned heads in what appeared to be an embroidered dressing gown.

Pictures:
Prince Charles and Eric Robson
Prince Charles and Eric Robson 2
Prince Charles and Eric Robson 3
Prince Charles and Eric Robson 4

Last edited:
Thank you Avalon!:flowers: Nice to see the pics!

If you open the BBC website you can hear Charles talking:

BBC News Player - Charles attacks EU directives

Prince Charles has attacked European bureaucrats over the sale of some ancient varieties of seed.
(You can also read the report, but to hear his voice is absolutely nice!:wub: )

Thanks for the link milla Ca! It was nice to hear the Prince talking, not to mention that I completely agree with him over the issue. :)
Here is the BBC report.

I've been ridiculed, says Charles

The Prince of Wales says he has faced a "chorus of ridicule" over his campaign to protect rare native breeds of cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens.
But he said his efforts had been worth it because "surprise, surprise" such livestock was making a comeback.
He went on to criticise "crazy" European Union laws banning the sale of seed from historic varieties of plant.
Prince Charles was speaking to BBC Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time to mark its 60th anniversary. He bemoaned what he said was "the craziness of what we've done to this world", calling it "lunacy".

I wonder what area of quality did these old varieties fall short of?

In the south, you could get some really old varieties of tomato for your home garden and the tomatoes were to die for. The plant wasn't sold commercially because it wasn't as hardy and prolific as the commercial varieties but for a home garden they didn't need to be.

We already had far more tomatoes than we needed.

ysbel said:
I wonder what area of quality did these old varieties fall short of? .
It seems to be a question of supply, because they are not available in bulk to be grown commercially, the EC have decided none of us can have them. We still have a few Cox's Orange Pippin tree's, most people haven't even heard of them, or had a chance to try the fruits. :flowers:

Prince Charles in raw magazine interview

The Prince of Wales prefers videos to DVDs, worries about the nation's preference for pill-popping and feels he has to continually justify his existence, it has been revealed.

Prince Charles in raw magazine interview | News | This is London

Oh, I disagree with him..... I much prefer the quality of a DVD! :lol:

Skydragon said:
It seems to be a question of supply, because they are not available in bulk to be grown commercially, the EC have decided none of us can have them. We still have a few Cox's Orange Pippin tree's, most people haven't even heard of them, or had a chance to try the fruits. :flowers:

Oh I had a Cox's Orange Pippin, and a Devonshire Quarrenden, and a Cornish Aromatic, and a Pitmaston's Pineapple, and an Upton Pyne, and a King of the Pippins, and a Bramley's Seedling, and a Sturmer Pippin, and a Stayman's Winesap, and a few more I can't remember right now ..... even a Court Pendu Plat! All on dwarfing rootstock. Unfortunately I had to leave them down in Sydney when we moved. *sniffle* I miss my apple trees!

I will think of you as I munch! :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
I will think of you as I munch! :ROFLMAO:

That's actually quite cruel! *pout*

All I have to console myself is one of those indestructible flavourless modern things that masquerade as apples roday. I think they are actually manufactured in supermarkets and aren't real apples at all.

Charles takes step towards throne

Prince Charles is to join the Queen at a meeting of Commonwealth leaders - in a move widely interpreted for him to becomes King.

Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Charles takes step towards throne

Charles takes a step towards throne with Queen´s invitation

(...) It is extremely unusual for the Queen and Prince Charles to untertake foreign engagements in the same country.

Charles takes a step towards throne with Queen's invitation

Last edited:
Skydragon said:

This is the silliest thing I ever heard of. Home gardeners have different needs than big commercial farms.

A regular home gardener with a small backyard and average size family doesn't need a plant that can withstand all weather conditions and produce bumper crops.

The majority of plants available to the home gardener today were designed for big commercial operations and produce too many vegetables than can be comfortably eaten by the average family. A lot of the vegetables go to waste.

ysbel said:
This is the silliest thing I ever heard of. Home gardeners have different needs than big commercial farms.
Not according to Europe! :bang: Some people would rather mock Charles, than realise the want's and needs of the 'little people'. Years ago Charles was telling us all about the dangers of climate change, the benefits of organic foods, complementary medicines and only now are a lot more people understanding the truth of what he says.

Many people love the old architecture in our towns, it is only the 'experts' that love the modernistic buildings that rob the towns and cities of their identity, or admire the junk exhibited for the Turner prize. grrrrrrrr

Because some people only read the headline, they never know the substance of what Charles is saying.

Skydragon said:
Many people love the old architecture in our towns, it is only the 'experts' that love the modernistic buildings that rob the towns and cities of their identity, or admire the junk exhibited for the Turner prize. grrrrrrrr

I was in Frankfurt Germany years ago and my sister felt the same way. While walking along the river next to the 500 year old buildings, she turned to me and said that they needed to knock all those buildings done and build new ones. I almost died! She didn't have much to say about it again when visiting Switzerland later in the year because I gave her an earful. I love those beautiful villages from the British Isles to Germany and on to Italy and Czech Republic, etc etc., I would hate to see them go. I especially enjoyed sleeping in the old buildings that were turned into hotels.

I appreciate Charles in championing in to the saving of European classical architecture. I love the modern too, but they can be built outside a radius like what has been done in Paris keeping the inner city of Paris void of glass towers.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
Not according to Europe! :bang: Some people would rather mock Charles, than realise the want's and needs of the 'little people'. Years ago Charles was telling us all about the dangers of climate change, the benefits of organic foods, complementary medicines and only now are a lot more people understanding the truth of what he says.

Because some people only read the headline, they never know the substance of what Charles is saying.
All of this is so true. The "big commerical" excuse is just corporate hogwash translated as "We don't want to invest the money in change."
:mad: They mock Charles as way of avoiding their own responsibility to listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom