The Prince of Wales Current Events 11: November 2009-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting appointments. I think HM is being very shrewd about bringing Charles more and more into the public's mind as the man who is going to be our King sooner rather than later.

Along with the very encouraging public approval figures for Charles that we've seen today, you get the feeling that things are changing.

I finally got a chance to listen to those videos. Prince Charles is very funny. Something I noticed that he does that many in the Royal Family should try to do, is to look at the audience they are speaking to and not looking down at their notes. He actually seems to have memorized most of his speech. It gives the speech a more natural feel.

PC will make a wonderful King.

I finally got a chance to listen to those videos. Prince Charles is very funny. Something I noticed that he does that many in the Royal Family should try to do, is to look at the audience they are speaking to and not looking down at their notes. He actually seems to have memorized most of his speech. It gives the speech a more natural feel.

PC will make a wonderful King.

He does something else, too: when he does look down at his notes, he waits to look up and look at his audience before he speaks again. A mistake many (of us) make is that we look at our notes and begin to speak as we are looking at them - hence 'reading' them in front of our audience. Watch Charles - he looks down during a natural pause, clearly checking his notes - but then looks back up, waits a beat, and then speaks out to the audience as he looks at them. In a sense, he never 'turns his back' on his audience.

It helps that he knows his material well. He probably can hold forth at length in a conversation at a dinner party - so his speeches are an extension of that extemporaneous ability. He knows his subject matter and has a lot of experience behind him in dealing with an audience. I'm sure in his earlier years he read his speeches - I know he did as I recall videos of him doing so. It takes a while to develop his kind of finesse - even his mother sticks to closely reading her speeches. I don't think I've ever seen her do one 'off-the-cuff' - or not of any length. (Some of that may have to do with her role and not wanting to deviate from what she is given or has carefully written).

I have long ascribed his finesse to his theater training at university - but while that gave him a good grounding in public/stage presentation and public speaking, much of what we now see (I think) is the outcome of his long experience. He is a seasoned public speaker now.

I have long ascribed his finesse to his theater training at university - but while that gave him a good grounding in public/stage presentation and public speaking, much of what we now see (I think) is the outcome of his long experience. He is a seasoned public speaker now.

I had actually forgotton about his theatre training. That does explain a lot. I think i'm becoming obsessed with Prince Charles lol. Yesterday i watched on youtube all 6 parts of PC at 60, which led me to other speeches. He is a fascinating individual. Someone said on this board an I agree William has a lot to live up too.

The Prince of Wales has launched the National Insect Week with a "Bioblitz" of the Clarence House garden today, June 22,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** itv.com: Prince Charles de-bugs Clarence House **

The Prince of Wales marks National Insect Week with school children at Clarence House - YouTube

and he made a visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham - also today:

** birminghammail.net: Prince Charles takes home a doggy bag for Prince William after Birmingham hospital visit **

:previous: Love this man. Doggy bags for his son and whisky for soldiers. Brilliant

The Prince of Wales has launched the National Insect Week with a "Bioblitz" of the Clarence House garden today, June 22,

** itv.com: Prince Charles de-bugs Clarence House **

The Prince of Wales marks National Insect Week with school children at Clarence House - YouTube

and he made a visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham - also today:

** birminghammail.net: Prince Charles takes home a doggy bag for Prince William after Birmingham hospital visit **

Thank you for the video, pictures and article :flowers:. Charles was as interested in the insects as much as the kids were, and the kids seemed happy to be given the opportunity to do some science learning at Clarence House.

And what a nice gesture to his son (the cake) and the troops (whiskey). Says a great deal about Charles as a person.

Daria_S said:
Thank you for the video, pictures and article :flowers:. Charles was as interested in the insects as much as the kids were, and the kids seemed happy to be given the opportunity to do some science learning at Clarence House.

And what a nice gesture to his son (the cake) and the troops (whiskey). Says a great deal about Charles as a person.

Agreed.

What nice gestures from Charles to both William and the troops.

The Prince of Wales toured the new Dorchester Sports Centre and met school children from Thomas Hardye School and
representatives from West Dorset District Council and Dorset County Council today, June 26. He also visited the Rainbarrow
Farm anaerobic digestor and met staff who work on the site.

Charles helped children from the school bury a time capsule in front of the Leisure Centre. HRHthen viewed an electric bus
which is now in operation on the no. 6 route between Dorchester town centre and Poundbury.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** photoshot/belga gallery **

** dorsetforyou.com: HRH The Prince of Wales visits new Dorchester Sports Centre **

Looks like His Highness had a great time.

Looks like His Highness had a great time.

He seems to always be having a good time these days.

I've noticed he really seems to be getting more enjoyment out of his public engagements now. Maybe being happier and settled in his private life is making him happier in his working life. It seems to be the case for many people so I can't see why the Prince would be any different.

Prince Charles at Wimbledon

I'm watching the tennis at Wimbledon & as I was walking out of the room they said Prince Charles had just arrived. I raced back in to see but missed it. Not sure if Camilla is with him or not, will have to wait until he gets to the royal box. But it got me thinking I don't ever remember Charles attending Wimbledon before, does anyone else know if he has or not?

Ok, so Camilla is there too although I still haven't seen her (aussie tv is showing a match on another court). Camilla arrived separately & had lunch with the members while Charles arrived after lunch. Apparently the last time Charles attended Wimbledon was in 1970.......

Last edited:
He seems to always be having a good time these days.

I've noticed he really seems to be getting more enjoyment out of his public engagements now. Maybe being happier and settled in his private life is making him happier in his working life. It seems to be the case for many people so I can't see why the Prince would be any different.

I think you're absolutely right. His Highness is in a good place privately, and that shows when he's interacting with others.

The Prince of Wales has been the guest of honour at this year's East of England Show in Peterborough yesterday, July 6.

According to one of the captions he "arrived wearing wellington boots, suitable for the very wet and muddy conditions but
changed into shoes resulting in very muddy feet" ;)

** zimbio/Bauer griffin gallery: Prince Charles Has Muddy Feet **

** itv.com: Prince Charles at East of England Show **

** peterboroughtoday.co.uk: Prince Charles wows crowds at East of England Show **

** cozycot gallery: Prince charles the prince of wales attends the 'east of england show' in peterborough **

Prince Charles visits the East of England Show at Peterborough July 6 2012 - YouTube

he "arrived wearing wellington boots, suitable for the very wet and muddy conditions but

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Prince Charles never fails to make me smile ;)

According to one of the captions he "arrived wearing wellington boots, suitable for the very wet and muddy conditions but

What possessed him to change? :huh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Prince Charles never fails to make me smile ;)

Same here :D. He knows how to lighten the mood.

What possessed him to change? :huh:

I thought the very same thing. When I saw him in his Wellington boots, I thought 'what a smart move...better to be a little less formal but with dry feet', but once I saw him in his no doubt expensive leather shoes, trudging through the mud, I wondered 'what possessed him to put those on?...don't think anyone would have stood on ceremony, since the weather was quite horrid'. But, you've gotta give it to the man; he wants to be as proper as possible, in any situation. That shows good upbringing and awareness of the fact that he represents himself, his family and his nation.

Prince Charles donation to Aberystwyth flood victims
Prince Charles has made a donation to help victims of flooding in mid Wales last month, as many areas of Wales undergo another summer storm battering. The donation is ahead of his annual Welsh summer visit next week when the prince and the Duchess of Cornwall will meet some of those affected in June. Hundreds of homes and businesses were damaged following torrential rain and overflowing rivers around Aberystwyth.

Royal Approval: Prince Charles employs Cheryl Cole's right-hand woman as one of his most senior members of staff | Mail Online
At first glance, the outspoken Geordie singer and the future king don’t appear to have that much in common.
But Prince Charles is so taken with Girls Aloud star Cheryl Cole that he has employed her right-hand woman as one of his most senior advisors.
Former music industry executive Kristina Kyriacou, who is director of the singer’s new charity, the Cheryl Cole Foundation, has also just joined the royal household at Clarence House.

Ms. Cole's ensemble is smart.

Prince joins paras at memorial site
The Prince of Wales has joined hundreds of current and former paratroopers at a ceremony to unveil a national memorial to those killed serving in the Parachute Regiment. Wearing ceremonial uniform in his role as Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment, Charles also dedicated a separate memorial to the work of Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) during a visit to the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire. Opting not to use an umbrella despite persistent rain throughout the half-hour service, the Prince was said to be impressed with the striking bronze statue honouring those killed since the creation of the Airborne Forces in 1940.

Prince Charles unveils sculptures at Staffordshire Memorial Arboretum
The Prince of Wales has unveiled two monuments at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire. Hundreds of veterans attended the ceremony at the Alrewas site that was set up in 2001. One memorial commemorates the work of the intelligence service GCHQ, while the second is dedicated to the soldiers of the Parachute Regiment. Prince Charles is colonel in chief of the regiment and royal patron of the intelligence agencies.

Pictured on their wedding day: The Tetra Pak heir and his doomed drug addict bride whose friend Prince Charles 'was like a father to her'
As the fragile body of Eva Rausing was being examined this week, having apparently lain for several days in the drug-induced chaos of the couple’s £70 million Chelsea home, one person who mourned her almost as much as any members of her family was the Prince of Wales. For behind the tragedy of Eva Rausing lies an extraordinary story of friendship and loyalty that she and Prince Charles struck up.

A wonderful article by Prince Charles about the Armed Forces.

An article by HRH The Prince of Wales to launch The Sun newspaper Military Awards, or the Millies
Once again, I find myself putting pen to paper to express my unending admiration for our Armed Forces. No matter what challenges they face, our servicemen and women are ready to give their all; and it seems to me that we are asking more and more of them.

Despite re-structuring and redundancies; despite danger, dust, heat and the most demanding of conditions, our troops soldier on with heads held high.
Their extraordinary resilience and humour are unique features of our Armed Forces.

Despite the most dreadful setbacks, possibly the worst being when infiltrators pretend to be Afghan policemen or soldiers and attack our troops, murdering them in cold blood, our troops somehow carry on with enormous fortitude to see the job through, often as a tribute to the memory of their fallen colleagues.
Full article here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom