The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Prince Charles - Fashion Icon. Really great article and so funny!

Prince Charles: Fashion Icon? Me? - Telegraph
Its obvious that Charles marches to his own drummer when it comes to fashion. That's what makes him an icon. He doesn't follow trendy leads but rather sets them himself to his own taste.

From the article...

Heaven forfend: The Prince of Wales wore a Turnbull & Asser shirt, tie and hankerchief with an Anderson & Sheppard suit (double breasted) and a pair of 43-year old black Lobb shoes.

Talk about recycling shoes! Ever since I read about these shoes, whenever I see a picture of Charles in black shoes, I look to see if they're his old trusty ones.

And the designer JW Anderson, whose (male) model teamed a pinstripe smock with a black silk headscarf, noted the The Prince seemed particularly taken with the headscarf: "He said it reminded him of somebody," Anderson reported.

Hmmm... could it perhaps be a certain grey haired lady that wears her Hermes headscarves majestically?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

'I am the stopped clock of fashion, I tell the right time once every 25 years': Prince Charles downplays sense of style as he launches first men's catwalk even

Quote:
Prince Charles was dubbed one of the world's most stylish men by GQ magazine this year, earning him place in a weekly picture gallery alongside stars such as Ewan McGregor, Damian Lewis and Benedict Cumberbatch. Sticking to his smart Savile Row tailoring, Charles opted for a navy double breasted Anderson & Sheppard suit, Turnbull & Asser shirt, tie and hankerchief and a pair of 43-year old black Lobb shoes.
He told guests: 'I'm finding it very hard to live with myself, ladies and gentlemen. Because someone suggested that I might be an icon of fashion. After 64 bleeding years. I don't know why. I have lurched from being the best-dressed man to being the worst dressed man. I don't know why - presumably it sells publications. Meanwhile I have gone on, like a stopped clock - and my time comes around every 25 years.'
OK, I'm officially ready to join a "Prince Charles Fan Club"; LOVE his sense of humour (and style).

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Video of the Prince's speech.

Great sense of humour.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Great sense of humour.
Agree 100% - he gets better and better. Excellent speech and he is able to weave into it, in a very intelligent way, aspects of his other interests, the organic and natural, the landscape. He is not a dilettante (as so many have claimed in the past) - he understands of what he speaks. There is real depth there. He has a truly comprehensive vision. I wish Britain would wake up to the gem they have in this man - who happens as well to be the heir and who - fortuitously - is their future King. The UK will have every reason to be proud of this man as their Head of State.

On another thread someone mentioned that they would attend a university course by him if offered - and I have to agree. Great delivery, good sense of humor, fine intelligence and worthy ideas - he is worth listening to.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The man certainly knows how to capture and audience. He has no problem laughing at himself sometimes. His style is that of an upper class English gentleman, which never gets old, or out of fashion (he certainly knows how to carry it off too). I also like that he's more about himself than following a specific trend. Shows that he's comfortable with who he is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Video of the Prince's speech.
Great sense of humour.
Thank you for the video. I always enjoy listening to His Highness speak. His speeches are always well-researched and the little ad libs he puts in make the even more delightful. He is a very intelligent man, and it shows.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I personally think Charles is the best-dressed man in Britain. Everything he wears is high quality, fits him so well and is always elegant.

A bespoke pair of Lobb shoes cost at least £3,000, so I'd hope they'd be long-lasting and durable!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Nobility

If he's had the shoes for 40 years, that averages out to £75 per year (not a bad investment)!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I personally think Charles is the best-dressed man in Britain. Everything he wears is high quality, fits him so well and is always elegant.
Mr Cameron is running a tight second - very dapper fella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
OK, I'm officially ready to join a "Prince Charles Fan Club"; LOVE his sense of humour (and style).
Welcome! But its more than what he says - its his delivery, his timing. His stage training shows. Beautiful command of language, too, as well as a rich voice. Overall, its nice to see him finally coming into his own. Its happening because of a lot of hard work on his part in spite of everything.

Not quite 'current' - here is his lecture in 2009 - contrary to the spin given in the Daily Mail, Charles' ideas and views are relevant and well-evidenced in the debate - his amiability and humor come through as well as his sharp intellect -

The Prince of Wales delivers the BBC Richard Dimbleby Lecture

Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

BBC News - Prince Charles awarded highest military ranks by Queen

The Prince of Wales has been awarded the highest rank in all three military services by the Queen.

Prince Charles becomes a Field Marshal, Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
BBC News - Prince Charles awarded highest military ranks by Queen

The Prince of Wales has been awarded the highest rank in all three military services by the Queen.

Prince Charles becomes a Field Marshal, Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force.
Now that is really impressive and, I think, well earned by the Prince of Wales.

To me it seems like HM is more and more for want of better words, getting things in order and will be asking Charles and Camilla to do more
duties and engagements as she and the DoE take things a bit easier.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very interesting appointments. I think HM is being very shrewd about bringing Charles more and more into the public's mind as the man who is going to be our King sooner rather than later.

Along with the very encouraging public approval figures for Charles that we've seen today, you get the feeling that things are changing.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles awarded highest rank in all three armed forces - Telegraph
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

I finally got a chance to listen to those videos. Prince Charles is very funny. Something I noticed that he does that many in the Royal Family should try to do, is to look at the audience they are speaking to and not looking down at their notes. He actually seems to have memorized most of his speech. It gives the speech a more natural feel.

PC will make a wonderful King.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post
I finally got a chance to listen to those videos. Prince Charles is very funny. Something I noticed that he does that many in the Royal Family should try to do, is to look at the audience they are speaking to and not looking down at their notes. He actually seems to have memorized most of his speech. It gives the speech a more natural feel.

PC will make a wonderful King.
He does something else, too: when he does look down at his notes, he waits to look up and look at his audience before he speaks again. A mistake many (of us) make is that we look at our notes and begin to speak as we are looking at them - hence 'reading' them in front of our audience. Watch Charles - he looks down during a natural pause, clearly checking his notes - but then looks back up, waits a beat, and then speaks out to the audience as he looks at them. In a sense, he never 'turns his back' on his audience.

It helps that he knows his material well. He probably can hold forth at length in a conversation at a dinner party - so his speeches are an extension of that extemporaneous ability. He knows his subject matter and has a lot of experience behind him in dealing with an audience. I'm sure in his earlier years he read his speeches - I know he did as I recall videos of him doing so. It takes a while to develop his kind of finesse - even his mother sticks to closely reading her speeches. I don't think I've ever seen her do one 'off-the-cuff' - or not of any length. (Some of that may have to do with her role and not wanting to deviate from what she is given or has carefully written).

I have long ascribed his finesse to his theater training at university - but while that gave him a good grounding in public/stage presentation and public speaking, much of what we now see (I think) is the outcome of his long experience. He is a seasoned public speaker now.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Majesty

HRH The Prince of Wales: Address to the Nobel Laureates Event at the Sustainable Development Conference Rio+20
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I have long ascribed his finesse to his theater training at university - but while that gave him a good grounding in public/stage presentation and public speaking, much of what we now see (I think) is the outcome of his long experience. He is a seasoned public speaker now.
I had actually forgotton about his theatre training. That does explain a lot. I think i'm becoming obsessed with Prince Charles lol. Yesterday i watched on youtube all 6 parts of PC at 60, which led me to other speeches. He is a fascinating individual. Someone said on this board an I agree William has a lot to live up too.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

'Once the worst does happen it will be too late to act': Prince Charles warns of the 'catastrophic' impact of climate change
Quote:
The Prince of Wales has urged world leaders to adopt a better, more integrated approach to issues like climate change. In a pre-recorded speech to a UN sustainability conference in Brazil, he warned of the potentially 'catastrophic' consequences of inaction on issues such a climate change and global food security.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

The Prince of Wales has launched the National Insect Week with a "Bioblitz" of the Clarence House garden today, June 22,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** itv.com: Prince Charles de-bugs Clarence House **

and he made a visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham - also today:

** birminghammail.net: Prince Charles takes home a doggy bag for Prince William after Birmingham hospital visit **
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Love this man. Doggy bags for his son and whisky for soldiers. Brilliant

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Prince of Wales has launched the National Insect Week with a "Bioblitz" of the Clarence House garden today, June 22,

** itv.com: Prince Charles de-bugs Clarence House **

and he made a visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham - also today:

** birminghammail.net: Prince Charles takes home a doggy bag for Prince William after Birmingham hospital visit **
Thank you for the video, pictures and article . Charles was as interested in the insects as much as the kids were, and the kids seemed happy to be given the opportunity to do some science learning at Clarence House.

And what a nice gesture to his son (the cake) and the troops (whiskey). Says a great deal about Charles as a person.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
charles, prince of wales