The Prince of Wales Current Events 11: November 2009-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the exact same thing- did a double take, and thought it was a screen- cap of Siegfried. Wondered where the heck Robert Hardy( Siegfried on All Creatures Great and Small) was. If the show still aired, that pic would make a great billboard.:D
It looks just like the scene in Every Dog His Day, ( 3rd ep. Season 3) where Siegfried is cuddling a baby piglet, and the farmer goes, " Mr Farnon, you have a way with pigs. They look at you and see a kindred spirit."
Made me laugh because what animal doesn't Siegfried have a way with?
Who doesn't see him as a kindred spirit?:lol:;)
Sorry if this is going off topic.

I remember that episode, and that line as well. The owner was very fond of pigs and always loved to say who was and wasn't a 'pig' person :D. I think the Prince of Wales has a way with animals. They certainly don't run away from him, and allow him to touch and pet them, which is saying a great deal. Of course I agree with you in regards to Siegfried and his way with any living creature.

And I should think so too. Polls are immaterial of course, he will be the next monarch but it's about time he had some recognition of his life long service to this country. That's not to disparage the Duke of Cambridge's merit but I'm glad to see a news story that supports the Prince of Wales for once.

I don't think, as I stated before, that the succession going from QE2 to William would be a good idea. There are many things that the PoW will do differently from his mother, but more will stay the same. William has stated, and somewhat complained, that when visiting with his father, they always dress for dinner. I think Charles still believes that there is a hierarchy in the household, and people must be allowed to do their jobs. Can you picture Charles and Camilla standing at the sink at Windsor wash and drying dishes? William and Catherine have stated many times that this, along with preparing meals is one of the things that they enjoy doing together. I am sure this is not something that they do on a daily basis considering their schedules, but I am sure they do this from time to time. Charles does not hit me as the kind that walks around in a "Kiss The Cook" apron and asking Camilla and others if his Fish & Chips are seasoned properly. I think when we move on from QE2 to Charles, hopefully many years from now, more will stay the same rather than change. The fact that he frequently does interviews, and his stint as a weatherman poking fun, is a huge change from the past. If he has been properly trained, which I am sure QE2 has done due to her own inexperience, he will make a great king. Queen Elizabeth is not doing to Charles what Queen Victoria did to Edward. I think Victoria figured that no matter what she did, the monarchy would survive. I think QE2 is knowledgeable that this is not the case any longer. I think her number one job priority is to assure the continuation of the monarchy long after she is gone. William will make a great king someday, but Charles has work to do before that day will come.

I think Charles had a good Jubilee. His speech was just so pitch perfect; brilliantly capturing the mood of the nation in a witty and fun way. The papers sometimes depict him as kind of jealously waiting for his mother to finally kick the bucket so he can get his turn; but no-one could doubt the very deep love and affection between Charles and his mother particularly following his wonderful tribute to her in his documentary.

I genuinely believe that people are reassessing Charles and Camilla, and generally like what they see.

If you really think about this, it makes sense. All living things respond to love, so why should plants be any different? Interesting indeed.

Sound - they respond to sound waves - as they do to light. Long been known to be so. Plants in a classroom filled with singing children thrive. Play music to plants - they thrive. Its been a known for decades and I've never understood why the British seemed so behind the times with this little bit of science.

Sound - they respond to sound waves - as they do to light. Long been known to be so. Plants in a classroom filled with singing children thrive. Play music to plants - they thrive. Its been a known for decades and I've never understood why the British seemed so behind the times with this little bit of science.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm such a sentimental human being that I tend to believe that love is a cure for pretty much all things :D. Also, science was never my strong point in school (along with math), so I tend to take a bit longer to understand things that have to do with those subjects. Again, thank you so much for the explanation. I'm glad I've learned something new today in an area that doesn't particularly hold my interest.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm such a sentimental human being that I tend to believe that love is a cure for pretty much all things :D. Also, science was never my strong point in school (along with math), so I tend to take a bit longer to understand things that have to do with those subjects. Again, thank you so much for the explanation. I'm glad I've learned something new today in an area that doesn't particularly hold my interest.

But LOVE is just another name for what it's all about. Love is the universe seen through the prism of the human being. :)

Sound - Light - Magnetism ..... the power of the word has always been honored, known as sacred .... we just lost the thread of the story ... science brings us back to it .... sometimes ...

Symphony of Science - the Quantum World! - YouTube

But LOVE is just another name for what it's all about. Love is the universe seen through the prism of the human being. :)

Sound - Light - Magnetism ..... the power of the word has always been honored, known as sacred .... we just lost the thread of the story ... science brings us back to it .... sometimes ...

Symphony of Science - the Quantum World! - YouTube

Thank you very much, Tyger, for that link - it's great.

Because it didn't fit with the newspapers' desire to imply that Prince Charles was off his rocker. It's a favoured line of attack when it comes to Charles - that he's some kind of strange creature from another planet; or more succinctly 'out of touch'.

HRH the Prince of Wales is these days in Romania where he visits his different properties.
During the meeting with Traian Basescu, the leader of the romanian republicans (and main enemy of the Romanian Royal House), congratulated the Prince of Wales for the "60 years of Jubilee of the marriage of Queen Elisabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh" but the translator understood the mistake and said" the Jubilee of Queen Elisabeth II".

Vezi ce gaf

Last edited:
We will see if the Prince of Wales will meet today HRH Crown Princess Margareta of Romania.

Interesting language - sounds in the lineage of Spanish with an Italian accent, does not sound Slavic. I think my assumptions and ignorance in the matter are showing. What is the lineage of the Romanian Language?

Can anyone say what the announcers are saying at the end of the clip? They seem to be sharing an amusing observation.

Interesting language - sounds in the lineage of Spanish with an Italian accent, does not sound Slavic. I think my assumptions and ignorance in the matter are showing. What is the lineage of the Romanian Language?

Can anyone say what the announcers are saying at the end of the clip? They seem to be sharing an amusing observation.

Romanian doesn't sound like a Slavic language because it isn't one. :)
It developed from non-standard Latin (also known as Vulgar Latin). During the middle ages, it was influenced by Slavic languages and Greek, but the basis remains Latin.

Last edited:
HRH the Prince of Wales with HRH Crown Princess Margareta of Romania and Prince Radu of Romania celebrating the Diamod Jubilee of Queen Elisabeth II in Bucharest:

Împreun

Romanian doesn't sound like a Slavic language because it isn't one. :)
It developed from non-standard Latin (also known as Vulgar Latin). During the middle ages, it was influenced by Slavic languages and Greek, but the basis remains Latin.

Thank you, Artemisia - now I know. :flowers: And why I heard an 'Italian accent' - the Latin base did it!

Last edited:
Prince Charles - Fashion Icon. Really great article and so funny!

Prince Charles: Fashion Icon? Me? - Telegraph

Its obvious that Charles marches to his own drummer when it comes to fashion. That's what makes him an icon. He doesn't follow trendy leads but rather sets them himself to his own taste.

From the article...

Heaven forfend: The Prince of Wales wore a Turnbull & Asser shirt, tie and hankerchief with an Anderson & Sheppard suit (double breasted) and a pair of 43-year old black Lobb shoes.

Talk about recycling shoes! Ever since I read about these shoes, whenever I see a picture of Charles in black shoes, I look to see if they're his old trusty ones.

And the designer JW Anderson, whose (male) model teamed a pinstripe smock with a black silk headscarf, noted the The Prince seemed particularly taken with the headscarf: "He said it reminded him of somebody," Anderson reported.

Hmmm... could it perhaps be a certain grey haired lady that wears her Hermes headscarves majestically? :D

'I am the stopped clock of fashion, I tell the right time once every 25 years': Prince Charles downplays sense of style as he launches first men's catwalk even

Prince Charles was dubbed one of the world's most stylish men by GQ magazine this year, earning him place in a weekly picture gallery alongside stars such as Ewan McGregor, Damian Lewis and Benedict Cumberbatch. Sticking to his smart Savile Row tailoring, Charles opted for a navy double breasted Anderson & Sheppard suit, Turnbull & Asser shirt, tie and hankerchief and a pair of 43-year old black Lobb shoes.
He told guests: 'I'm finding it very hard to live with myself, ladies and gentlemen. Because someone suggested that I might be an icon of fashion. After 64 bleeding years. I don't know why. I have lurched from being the best-dressed man to being the worst dressed man. I don't know why - presumably it sells publications. Meanwhile I have gone on, like a stopped clock - and my time comes around every 25 years.'

OK, I'm officially ready to join a "Prince Charles Fan Club"; LOVE his sense of humour (and style). :cool:

Great sense of humour.

Agree 100% - he gets better and better. Excellent speech and he is able to weave into it, in a very intelligent way, aspects of his other interests, the organic and natural, the landscape. He is not a dilettante (as so many have claimed in the past) - he understands of what he speaks. There is real depth there. He has a truly comprehensive vision. I wish Britain would wake up to the gem they have in this man - who happens as well to be the heir and who - fortuitously - is their future King. The UK will have every reason to be proud of this man as their Head of State.

On another thread someone mentioned that they would attend a university course by him if offered - and I have to agree. Great delivery, good sense of humor, fine intelligence and worthy ideas - he is worth listening to.

Last edited:

The man certainly knows how to capture and audience. He has no problem laughing at himself sometimes. His style is that of an upper class English gentleman, which never gets old, or out of fashion (he certainly knows how to carry it off too). I also like that he's more about himself than following a specific trend. Shows that he's comfortable with who he is :cool:.

Video of the Prince's speech.
Great sense of humour.

Thank you for the video. I always enjoy listening to His Highness speak. His speeches are always well-researched and the little ad libs he puts in make the even more delightful. He is a very intelligent man, and it shows.

I personally think Charles is the best-dressed man in Britain. Everything he wears is high quality, fits him so well and is always elegant.

A bespoke pair of Lobb shoes cost at least £3,000, so I'd hope they'd be long-lasting and durable!

:previous:
If he's had the shoes for 40 years, that averages out to £75 per year (not a bad investment)! :D

I personally think Charles is the best-dressed man in Britain. Everything he wears is high quality, fits him so well and is always elegant.

Mr Cameron is running a tight second - very dapper fella! :)

OK, I'm officially ready to join a "Prince Charles Fan Club"; LOVE his sense of humour (and style). :cool:

Welcome! :D But its more than what he says - its his delivery, his timing. His stage training shows. Beautiful command of language, too, as well as a rich voice. Overall, its nice to see him finally coming into his own. Its happening because of a lot of hard work on his part in spite of everything.

Not quite 'current' - here is his lecture in 2009 - contrary to the spin given in the Daily Mail, Charles' ideas and views are relevant and well-evidenced in the debate - his amiability and humor come through as well as his sharp intellect -

The Prince of Wales delivers the BBC Richard Dimbleby Lecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4l0fES43nc&feature=relmfu

Last edited:
BBC News - Prince Charles awarded highest military ranks by Queen

The Prince of Wales has been awarded the highest rank in all three military services by the Queen.

Prince Charles becomes a Field Marshal, Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force.

Now that is really impressive and, I think, well earned by the Prince of Wales.

To me it seems like HM is more and more for want of better words, getting things in order and will be asking Charles and Camilla to do more
duties and engagements as she and the DoE take things a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom