The Prince of Wales Current Events 11: November 2009-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Prince of Wales has received the Prime Minster of the German state Niedersachsen
David McAllister (1&2) and the German ambassador to Britain Georg Boomgaarden at
Clarence House in London on December 21, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife gallery **

The Prince of Wales looks sharp here, what a great dresser! I understand that he and the Duchess of Conwall will be one of the last to arrive at the the Queen's Country estate for Christmas.

Last edited:
Daria_S said:
Prince Charles reads 'My Heart's In The Highlands' by Robert Burns, to mark 'Robert Burns Night' at Clarence House. I think His Highness is a very expressive reader. You can almost feel his emotions as well as those of the author; the longing for the place that one loves the most. Very touching and nostalgic.

The Prince of Wales reads My Heart's in the Highlands by Robert Burns by Clarence House on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Such a lovely reading!. Thanks for the link! :)

Such a lovely reading!. Thanks for the link! :)

I'm glad you liked it. I'm sick in bed with a cold, and hearing him read was extremely soothing. Reminds me of times when I was sick during childhood, and my mom or one of my grandmothers would read to me.

Prince Charles reads 'My Heart's In The Highlands' by Robert Burns, to mark 'Robert Burns Night' at Clarence House. I think His Highness is a very expressive reader. You can almost feel his emotions as well as those of the author; the longing for the place that one loves the most. Very touching and nostalgic.

The Prince of Wales reads My Heart's in the Highlands by Robert Burns by Clarence House on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Very nice, very soothing. Thank you. :flowers:

He does such a great job public speaking and now public reading. It's a skill and I think it takes quite a bit of honing. Impressive.

The Prince of Wales attended an Investiture at Buckingham Palace today, January 26, 2012.

** Pic **

Can someone who is British comment on Prince Charles's elocution a bit more? I know there are many ways of speaking in Britain, and to me, his accent is very understandable and pleasing. Is that how he sounds to most British/English people? I'd be interested in comments from English people specifically, but also from the wider British viewpoint.

If I do not know how to pronounce a word, British-style, I usually reference the Queen or Prince Charles. So I'm asking if I'm setting myself up to sound unusual from the English ear's point of view.

Can someone who is British comment on Prince Charles's elocution a bit more? I know there are many ways of speaking in Britain, and to me, his accent is very understandable and pleasing. Is that how he sounds to most British/English people? I'd be interested in comments from English people specifically, but also from the wider British viewpoint.

If I do not know how to pronounce a word, British-style, I usually reference the Queen or Prince Charles. So I'm asking if I'm setting myself up to sound unusual from the English ear's point of view.

I am not British, but I recall listening to an interview of his father, Prince Philip, and recognized Charles' inherited tone and learned patterns of speech - he's very much his father's son from what I heard - except that Charles' intonation and manner of delivery is very distinctive - 'chocolaty', 'delicious' - its like he revels in the sound and very formation of the words. I have surmised that this is his 'stage training'. At Cambridge he had a brief stint on stage - and I suspect he learned elocution and delivery then. He speaks like someone who enjoys language - the exercise of language.

Thank you, Tyger! I had no idea that Charles had studied stagecraft a bit - it does show, I think. He does speak like someone who enjoys language and has deliberately developed confidence in his own speaking abilities. You're right that he does sound a lot like his father, although to me (as an American) the entire family seems to have a similar accent (not tone or anything). Still, in ways I can't quite put in words, the Queen's English seems to have changed a bit over time.

It is true that any language is a living thing and it will change with time and the influence to those speaking it. How lucky we are that Charles language and accent has evolved in the same way everone else's has and how wonderful he has such a beautifully speaking voice.

Yesterday, January 26, the Prince of Wales also visited the Islamic art exhibition "Hajj: Journey To
The Heart Of Islam" at the British Museum in central London. The exhibition includes one of the
oldest known copies of the Koran, dating from the 8th century, and is dedicated to the spiritual
journey, which is central to the Muslim faith. On pic 4 he's pictured with Prince Abdulaziz bin Abdullah.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

This is one idea being floated.

As Charles is the Patron of the show it makes sense to have him lead the parade as a lead in to the monarch's barge. It also makes sense from the point of view of security. If a terrorist decided to take out the barge, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, the last thing that they would want to happen is to lose the Queen, the heir apparent and the next three or so in line. This way if the barge was lost then the government could still continue.

Not unusual actually to have lesser royals come ahead of the monarch - it is actually normal.

I am pleased that they appear to have squashed the idea of William, Kate and Harry going on their own - too divisive and would be saying to the world that they are trying to establish their own court separate to either the monarch or their father's.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Prince Charles attened Hugh Grosvenor's 21st birthday party in Cheshire?

I read an article saying he was expected (since he is Hugh's godfather); however, the only royal attendant mentioned was Harry.

The Prince of Wales attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace on Thursday February 9, 2012.

** Pic **

The Prince of Wales at an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, February 14, 2012.

** Pic **

The Prince of Wales has visited the Bromley by Bow Centre, a multi eight faceted community
enterprise centre in Tower Hamlets, London, on February 16, 2012.

The pic with the flower girl is really cute :)

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Prince Of Wales Visits Bromley By Bow Centre **

Bold- Adorable! I have said it once, will say it again! Charles will make a great Grandpa! Love the other pics too- everyone is so happy. That pic where he is looking at the dragon is caption worthy!:lol:

The Prince of Wales has visited the Bromley by Bow Centre, a multi eight faceted community
enterprise centre in Tower Hamlets, London, on February 16, 2012.

The pic with the flower girl is really cute :)

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Prince Of Wales Visits Bromley By Bow Centre **

** PA: Charles visits community centre **

Thank you for the pictures! It's always nice to see Prince Charles interact with the public.

Bold- Adorable! I have said it once, will say it again! Charles will make a great Grandpa! Love the other pics too- everyone is so happy. That pic where he is looking at the dragon is caption worthy!:lol:

Yes, indeed. Another royal who's wonderful with little ones.

I like the look on his face in the third picture. :lol:

His facial expression there is saying basically 'what in the world...:eek:?'

These are great photos. Charles looks so happy and at ease and the people he is visiting all look just as relaxed. The photo of him receiving the daffodils was a real cracker. I guess we are used to the ladies of the BRF getting flowers but I don't remember the last time I saw one of the men receive them. He really looked like "Grandpa" and the wee girl looks so expectant she gave them. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom