The Prince of Wales Current Events 10: October 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Frankly," Prince Charles tells me, "if you really want to know, it is very frustrating that I'm ahead of my time."Some of my ideas take 25 or 30 years to get through. In this case, I passed the ideas to a person who understood their significance. And now, or so I am told, these ideas are starting to bear fruit."

Prince Charles's day on the other side of the tracks | News

STAFF at the Met Office have been told by the Prince of Wales their work is vital in combating climate change.
Prince Charles was in Exeter yesterday to visit the Met Office and Exeter Cathedral, after arriving by private train.

Prince keeps a weather eye on climate change

IT WAS business as usual yesterday for Britain’s “real” royals, with Prince Charles admiring colourful displays in the gardens of a stately home

Sunday Express | UK News :: So this is why Charles was too busy to attend

The Duke of Rothesay is witnessing first hand the devastation caused by the recent severe floods in the north of Scotland.
Hundreds of homes were evacuated after torrential rain left the Moray area flooded earlier this month.
The rivers Lossie and Spey burst their banks bringing devastation to Elgin and Fochabres in particular

Prince Charles visits flooding victims | Aberdeen and North | STV News

Here are some more pics of Charles' visit in the flood area,
in pic 1 of the gallery you can also see an example of the
terrible damages..

The Prince of Wales visits a flood damaged area of Fochabers
in Scotland:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

SHOCKED Prince Charles yesterday saw at first-hand the devastation wreaked by recent flooding in the Highlands.

Hundreds of homes had to be evacuated and cars were left submerged after torrential rain hit the Moray area earlier this month

Prince Charles sees damage caused by recent Highland flooding | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News
Do they ever shovel sand for bags to stop the water or help dig out houses, etc.? Just wondering. Not trying to be sarcastic here.

:previous: Yes they do Russo, I think this caught them unawares - again.
-------------------------
VIDEO

PRINCE Charles is to give cash to a special fund set up to help people hit by the Elgin and Fochabers floods

Video: Prince Charles pledges cash for flood victims - Evening Express

-----------------------------
Celebrity photographer Duncan Ridgely quit five years ago and relocated to Breb, a horse-and-cart village where Prince Charles owns two homes.

During his life as a paparazzo, Duncan Ridgely spent years photographing Prince Charles: now the two are neighbours

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property...d-neighbours--Transylvania.html#ixzz0RAITjlSR

:previous:

I'm glad Prince Charles decided to take concrete actions to help people hit by the floods.

Just wondering why the floods took people unawares though: as far as I remember, there have been floods in those parts of Scotland pretty much every year for the past 4-5 years. Surely, the local authorities should have been ready for the possibility of floods this year, at the very least.

Just wondering why the floods took people unawares though: as far as I remember, there have been floods in those parts of Scotland pretty much every year for the past 4-5 years. Surely, the local authorities should have been ready for the possibility of floods this year, at the very least.

I'm not sure, but it seems a month's rain fell in 24 hours, the heaviest night of rain in nearly 40 years. That sort of deluge would take you by surprise.

The flooding, IIR, in 2002 was the South side, 2007 - East side, 2008 - South, this year it appears to have hit the Southeast. The measures that were put in place, flood barriers to all external doors, did not cope as well as expected in the torrential rain, which quite simply exceeded the amount forecast.

The flood defense systems that they hope will stop the problem is causing problems in itself, some are suggesting that it will simply move the problem to other areas in and around Elgin. At least they appear to have dealt with the problem at Forres, and I think that has only suffered 4 times.

Thank you very much for your explanations, Roslyn and Skydragon. :flowers:
It appears that little could have been done to prevent flooding. Hopefully, those hit by the floods will receive all the necessary assistance.

Do you have flood plain maps, etc. there? I used to be in mortgage in the US and before purchaing a house, if you were in a flood plain, they MADE you purchase flood insurance. To protect the house, the homeowner and the mortgage company.

Do you have flood plain maps, etc. there? I used to be in mortgage in the US and before purchaing a house, if you were in a flood plain, they MADE you purchase flood insurance. To protect the house, the homeowner and the mortgage company.
The insurance companies use the flood plain maps to refuse to insure or to load the premiums to beyond many budgets. Add to that the many, who are unemployed, (it was mainly council housing that was hit this time), they simply can't afford insurance in the first place.
Private houses, if they have a mortgage on them, will have buildings insurance but contents insurance is optional. :flowers:
--------------------------
Prince Charles has given his backing to a Workington school’s campaign to grow their own vegetables.

Jade Murphy, Patrick McNicholas and Chanel Evans with the seeds sent by Prince Charles

Pupils at St Joseph’s Catholic High School are taking part in a project called Plant it, Grow it, Pick it where they are growing fruit and vegetables in the school greenhouse

Times & Star | Prince Charles backs Workington school's 'grow its own veg' campaign

PRINCETOWN certainly lived up to its name on Friday when it received a welcome visit from Prince Charles, who came to celebrate and see for himself the results of the village’s recent multi-million pound regeneration projects.

TAVISTOCK TODAY | NEWS | Centres receive the royal seal of approval | 2009

Mandrake can disclose that the Knightsbridge fragrance house agreed to make a top-secret hair preparation for Prince Charles, which it would not sell to anyone else.
"The Prince swears by it," a courtier says of the Bayolea hair tonic. "He is adamant that it should not be made available to the general public and its ingredients are a closely guarded secret. It appears to have extraordinary results. His hair on official occasions always looks immaculate."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...finds-just-the-tonic-for-immaculate-hair.html

:previous:

Interesting information about the hair tonic, thanks for the link Skydragon! :flowers:
Charles is certainly always well-groomed. Since the beginning of Prince William’s hair problems, it often looks like his father can boast more hair than his son: I wonder if the ‘secret tonic’ could help William as well.

The Royal Family has always been among the faithful costumers of Penhaligon’s: Charles, Diana and William all used its perfumes at some time or the other.

:previous:Yes, who could forget Diana when wearing Royal Water, among others.:flowers:

Last edited:
The insurance companies use the flood plain maps to refuse to insure or to load the premiums to beyond many budgets. Add to that the many, who are unemployed, (it was mainly council housing that was hit this time), they simply can't afford insurance in the first place.
Private houses, if they have a mortgage on them, will have buildings insurance but contents insurance is optional. :flowers:
--------------------------
Thanks Sky! I know things operate a bit differently than here. Info. is much appreciated!

:previous:]Yes, who could forget Diana wearing Royal Water, among others.:flowers:

I do love Oliver Creed: Royal Water is quite amazing.
Isis and Hermes 24 Faubourg, also preferred by Diana, are among my top favourite fragrances as well.

Charity Commission investigation

The Charity Commission is investigating the relationship between Prince Charles and his charity the Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment.
The move follows a complaint made by anti-monarchy group Republic, which questioned the independence of the charity and whether it acts for the public good or is pursuing the prince's own personal agenda.

I'm not sure I entirely follow the logic: if it's Prince Charles' charity, doesn't it follow that it must pursue the goals and 'personal' agenda' set by the Prince? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales has been criticised by some vetrans of the Parachute Regiemnt of which he is honory Colonel in Chief after he didnt attend the 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
Arnhem remembered: Veteran heroes return to battlefield on 65th anniversary | Mail Online

Personally i am surprised by this given that Charles seemed to push for an invitation to the D Day anniversary. I know the two events are different but the sentiments invloved are similar. If Charles saw it as necessary to attend the D-Day commemorations i would have expected him to want to attend this.

The Prince of Wales has been criticised by some vetrans of the Parachute Regiemnt of which he is honory Colonel in Chief after he didnt attend the 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
Arnhem remembered: Veteran heroes return to battlefield on 65th anniversary | Mail Online

Personally i am surprised by this given that Charles seemed to push for an invitation to the D Day anniversary. I know the two events are different but the sentiments invloved are similar. If Charles saw it as necessary to attend the D-Day commemorations i would have expected him to want to attend this.

I noticed in the article that the invitation wasn't sent until June and yet we do know that the royals calendars are done six months or more in advance so he was only give three months notice.

The article also says that he declined due to 'other commitments' and then notices that he had no engagements on that day. Engagements don't necessarily equate to commitments as the commitments could have been private ones that don't make it into the official engagements category.

I just love the way The Mail (and other press) play with words to make the royals (except for their darling late Diana, Princess of Wales) look bad and so many of the British public fall for it hook, line and sinker.

I wonder who The Mail will turn on when they have successfully turned Britain into a Republic and it doesn't have the royals to pick on - and I do see that as the agenda of much of the British Press.

As Charles has never been know to shirk his duty to the armed forces, whatever the regiment, I would imagine it would have been impossible to cancel any engagements at short notice, (yes it was short notice), the fault lies with Shaw!

The two events are different, the D Day celebrations commemorates the end of the conflict, The Arnhem anniversary commemorates one event that took place during the war.
----------------------------
The spectacle on Saturday was watched by around 100 former paratroopers, veterans of the battle who attended the memorial service in the southern Dutch city where troops landed in September 1944.
However, there was one notable absence at the commemorations, the Parachute Regiment's Colonel-in-Chief, the Prince of Wales.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...emorated-with-spectacular-parachute-jump.html

The Prince of Wales intervened on behalf of farmers during the collapse of Dairy Farmers of Britain this summer, it has emerged.

Waitrose MD Mark Price revealed this week that at the time the prince had written to him, other retailers and administrators Pricewaterhouse*Coopers calling for their support. The prince also donated money to help struggling farmers

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/articles.aspx?page=articles&ID=203506

The Court Circular for 22nd September states that the Scottish 1st Minister Alec Sammond MP has just departed Balmoral having stayed for the weekend. This would esplain the 'private engagement' that had to take precedence over the Arnhem celebrations, as the Prince always helps the Queen entertain him when he stays on the Scottish estate. No doubt if Prince Charles had opted to visit Arnhem instead of staying at Balmoral the Scottish edition of the Daily Mail would have given him a kicking!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom