The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 7: October 2007-June 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Guardian about the Di-Express - quite amusing:

Tim Dowling: No more Maddy, no more Diana - what now for the Express? | Media | The Guardian

No more Maddy, no more Diana - what now for the Express?

Yesterday, the Daily Express was obliged to print a front-page apology after publishing scores of defamatory headlines about the parents of Madeleine McCann. Inside a small article noted that Mohammed Al Fayed had lost a legal bid to force the Queen and Prince Philip to give evidence to the Princess Diana inquest, which means the coroner's inquiry is now in its last days. In one week, the two main sources for Daily Express stories have dried up. If it can't implicate the McCanns or trumpet wild theories about Diana's death (DID PHILIP ORDER DIANA'S MURDER?, et al), what will the Express front page of the future look like? Here are some possible new directions:

I admit, it sounds interesting, but I shall sum it up, in a word (unusual for me, I know)--the whole thing sounds: Tacky.

It does, I would hve preferred seeing a motion picture. But there is that rumour going around that Scarlett Johanson will play the Princess in a movie.

It does, I would hve preferred seeing a motion picture. But there is that rumour going around that Scarlett Johanson will play the Princess in a movie.

A movie I could deal with--"The Queen" was well done, something along those lines. These made-for-tv movies just don't cut it when it comes to the Royals.

There's something superficial and tawdry about made-for-tv movies about the Royals, yes. The characters are almost like caricatures rather than 3D people.

Yes this article was a good read sirhon. I always feel that night in Paris was tragic, but the guilt lies earlier in Diana, Princess of Wales short life.:flowers:
Some quotes from Jephson's article:

Diana's divisive potential only asserted itself when she felt she was the victim of an injustice.
...the awkwardness of "the whole truth" is that it spreads responsibility for Diana's fate widely.

I wonder if we will ever reach the stage where Diana is treated as a mature adult wholly responsible for her own decisions and actions? Yet again, Jephson portrays her as a "victim" at the hands of, well, just about everyone with whom she was in close contact at some stage of her life.

Last quote:

But follow the trail of evidence and you may find that it leads to the steps of St Paul's Cathedral on a day of hope and sunshine in 1981.

Sort of stating the obvious. If she hadn't married who she did she would not have become cloaked in the mantle of the royal mystique and in all likelihood the world would never have been aware of her existence.

Diana's end was tragic, but as the Inquest has shown us, one that was entirely avoidable.

Now how did I guess that this was an offering from Tina Brown, before I had read past the first lines? :whistling: I have always thought the girl in the shown photo, looked very unhappy and embarrassed with this photo op.

How strange that this girl came back to see Princes William and Harry and celebrate the concert for Diana with her daughter if this experience had been so embarrassing for her.:rolleyes:

How strange that this girl came back to see Princes William and Harry and celebrate the concert for Diana with her daughter if this experience had been so embarrassing for her.:rolleyes:
Why is it strange? They were probably brought over as a publicity stunt.:whistling: It doesn't alter my view that she looked far from happy in the photo.

Diana's privately nurtured last project - which she hoped would be in partnership with a British TV company - was to produce documentaries, modelled on the much acclaimed BBC film of her trip to Angola that highlighted her landmine campaign. She had asked friends to seek out a media coach to help improve her broadcast skills so she could front the documentaries herself. She had already chosen the subject for her next campaign: adult illiteracy.

After reading the article I was happy to learn that the Princess had already chosen the role and path she would follow in life; while everyone else was wondering what her future role would be. It is truly a shame that Diana passed so young, IMO she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians.

Why is it strange? They were probably brought over as a publicity stunt.:whistling: It doesn't alter my view that she looked far from happy in the photo.

Yes, I agree that there are happier pictures with happier faces anyway. Frankly, I wouldn't have liked to be this girl. She's sitting in front of crazy paparazzi who don't even care about who she is. They only want to get a good picture and sell it.

After reading the article I was happy to learn that the Princess had already chosen the role and path she would follow in life; while everyone else was wondering what her future role would be. It is truly a shame that Diana passed so young, IMO she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians.

Yes sirhon, she would have done something great as a humanitarian for this world if she was given more time here on earth.:flowers:

The girl in the photo looks sad. How would you look if you were deformed from a landmine? I don't think I would smile for a photo. In my opinion the girl not smilimg made the photo's reason even more telling to ban landmines.:flowers:

IMO she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians.
Oh please, there are some things which really need to be placed in perspective. Making a hagiography of Diana's future-that-never-was is not only absurd by its over-statement but merely serves to diminish her real and concrete achievements.

After reading the article I was happy to learn that the Princess had already chosen the role and path she would follow in life;
We have no idea as to the accuracy of Browns opinion, further to this, nobody else has in the past 10 years spoken of it.

We do know that she wanted to be involved with Blair, we don't know if he wanted to be involved with her, (from Campbells report, he didn't).

We have no idea as to the accuracy of Browns opinion, further to this, nobody else has in the past 10 years spoken of it.

We do know that she wanted to be involved with Blair, we don't know if he wanted to be involved with her, (from Campbells report, he didn't).

One thing we do know since the inquest: that Diana told each and any person a different story. So even if she told friends that she'd like to do such documentaries, it's not necessarily what she actually planned.

Oh please, there are some things which really need to be placed in perspective. Making a hagiography of Diana's future-that-never-was is not only absurd by its over-statement but merely serves to diminish her real and concrete achievements.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think "discussing what could have been"
diminishes her real and concrete achievements such as her work with AIDS and Red Cross causes.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think "discussing what could have been"
diminishes her real and concrete achievements such as her work with AIDS and Red Cross causes.

Sirhon, I AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION about Diana, Princess of Wales. She was just getting somewhere in her charities when she died. I will try to repect other opinions on this site, but truly it is hard to see a dead person diminished because Diana fans will always wonder what other wonderful causes Princess Diana would have champion if she lived.:flowers:

She was just getting somewhere in her charities when she died. I will try to repect other opinions on this site, but truly it is hard to see a dead person diminished because Diana fans will always wonder what other wonderful causes Princess Diana would have champion if she lived.:flowers:
She had dropped most of her charities!

Makes me wonder how some people would have reacted if she had decided to continue being a party girl, we know her popularity was diminishing here in the UK, (my opinion and based on newspaper articles at the time) where she was being portrayed having holiday after holiday.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think "discussing what could have been" diminishes her real and concrete achievements such as her work with AIDS and Red Cross causes.
Discussing "what she could have been" is somewhat different to stating, as you did, that "she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians".

This type of projection based on nothing but wishful thinking serves no purpose other than to perpetuate the "sainted" Diana myth. People's lives should be commemorated for their achievements, not for overstated fantasy.

Discussing "what she could have been" is somewhat different to stating, as you did, that "she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians".

This type of projection based on nothing but wishful thinking serves no purpose other than to perpetuate the "sainted" Diana myth. People's lives should be commemorated for their achievements, not for overstated fantasy.

And I think Diana was well thanked for her work and achievements. We had a perfect demonstration of people's gratitude in 2007, for the 10th anniversary of her death. She's one of the most commemorated person in the world and I doubt she would have had this impact if she had died later than in 1997. Like Skydragon said, her reputation was going down and I really don't know what future would have turned her into.

I doubt she would have had this impact if she had died later than in 1997. Like Skydragon said, her reputation was going down and I really don't know what future would have turned her into.

I don't think a summer of fun ruined her reputation. Diana, Princess of Wales always had a way of coming back to the graces of her fans. We really don't
know what the future could have been, but Princess Diana, in a documentary in Africa, STATED that she wished she could become an ambassor for her homeland.

Discussing "what she could have been" is somewhat different to stating, as you did, that "she was on her way in becoming one of the world's greatest humanitarians". This type of projection based on nothing but wishful thinking serves no purpose other than to perpetuate the "sainted" Diana myth. People's lives should be commemorated for their achievements, not for overstated fantasy.

The statement right above is true about what could have been, but Princess Diana fans do not think of her as sainted, but a very troubled woman that wanted to do good on this earth. After this inquest how could you think we fans don't know Princess Diana with all her troubles? I believe even people on this forum who didn't like Princess Diana, like other famous people who have troubles.:flowers:

I don't think a summer of fun ruined her reputation. Diana, Princess of Wales always had a way of coming back to the graces of her fans.
She had not, until that point had the tabloids turn against her and where the tabloids led, the Diana fans appeared to follow. There were mutterings from all but the hardcore fans, about the dropping of the charities, the Panorama disaster and what were seen as constant holidays.
We really don't know what the future could have been, but Princess Diana, in a documentary in Africa, STATED that she wished she could become an ambassor for her homeland.
She could state it all she wanted, but it would have been reliant on Blair, the government and HM.
I believe even people on this forum who didn't like Princess Diana, like other famous people who have troubles.:flowers:
Not me.

Well, she went the way most artists do to become immortal: she died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom