The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 6: June-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While not wishing to be too controversial, grief and pain at loss in one's private life is often obvious and understandable.

What I imagine that commentators who compliment Diana's 'human face' of royalty mean is that she was able to show compassion and pain and pleasure towards others, and with such seeming ease.

To my mind, it's churlish to deny that Diana had excellent and quite natural communication skills; it's equally unfair to blame The Queen for her more formal and reserved nature. It's what she was born with and trained to be, after all.

Not really. Diana was born in the very reserved English upper crust that the Queen was very familiar with and Diana definitely didn't fit into the mindset. Her older sisters fit much more into the stiff upper lip mentality that we associate with the upper class Brits and were born into the same family that Diana was. I think it is rather temperament that a person is born with. Diana could never be as reserved as the Queen (if she could have she would have had an easier time in the Royal Family). By the same token, the Queen cannot become as open to someone she doesn't know as Diana was. I believe that Princess Margaret could have been.

Rather than say someone has it and someone doesn't, its perhaps more accurate to say that people's human touch is shown in different ways and in different situations. The Queen's humanity is perhaps best seen when she is around people she knows and trusts. She has the bond with people that is built up over several years and responds naturally and quite warmly to that. For someone like Diana, I think her humanity was best shown when she was with people she didn't know that well and wouldn't be around for too long - like that person with AIDS that Diana hugged. Each of her magic moments with a member of the public existed for a short period of time with someone she would never see again and wouldn't have to worry about. If the Queen is reserved like I am, she would be worrying about that person with AIDS for a long time after she met him and after being in too many situations like that, it would drain on her energy. Diana probably could reach out to the person, make a connection, and then forget about the incident and go to the next person or event.

From what has been written about Diana, I think on the other hand her humanity did not show through in one on one relationships over a long period of time. Her relationships were not long lasting or stable.

Both of these traits of Diana seemed like two sides of the same coin. The same trait that influences her ability to reach out to someone she doesn't know also could have an influence in an inability to evolve a one on one relationship past a certain point. So it may have been easier for her to drop that friendship or relationship and go on to another one.

I totally agree with you ysbel. Although I remember reading that Diana stayed in contact with a few of the persons she has met through the years. There's Simon Barnes, a paraplegic that she had met in 1986. They were friends and saw each other until her death. Of course it's maybe a unique situation but I think Diana kept a place in her heart for the ones she could trust and those who had touched her in a special way.

Both of these traits of Diana seemed like two sides of the same coin. The same trait that influences her ability to reach out to someone she doesn't know also could have an influence in an inability to evolve a one on one relationship past a certain point. So it may have been easier for her to drop that friendship or relationship and go on to another one.
Very well written ysbel, I had a 'friend' like that. She seemed to find it easier to show 5 minutes affection to strangers in short bursts, than to commit to anyone for any period of time. The sort of 'friend' that pushes you away and within a few days or weeks regrets it and expects you to drop everything to take up where you left off. :rolleyes:

Of course this is what is wanted in todays world it would seem, the shallow celebrity type culture, a culture I am glad to say, the older members of the RF want no part.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Diana would have visit mainland of China if there were no the car accident? It is said that she would visit Hong Kong because she told Tina Brown on the lunch meeting in NY. Diana said she would visit Hong Kong in September for some charity work to help PM Blair's matters. If she did visit China, which identity do you think she possibly take?

I always have my doubts about the role that Diana would have from Blair's promises or his ideas. I do think PM will find out the real difficulties and conflicts with British royal family he would have if he pushed Diana to act as a major international ambassador for Britain.So I don't think Diana can play a major formal role as a working royal or having another chance to upstage the royal family.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you ysbel. Although I remember reading that Diana stayed in contact with a few of the persons she has met through the years. There's Simon Barnes, a paraplegic that she had met in 1986. They were friends and saw each other until her death. Of course it's maybe a unique situation but I think Diana kept a place in her heart for the ones she could trust and those who had touched her in a special way.

Oh of course, TheTruth, just because she excelled at showing affection in the short term, I don't mean to imply that Diana never had a long-standing relationship with anyone, :) I only meant that it was harder for someone of her temperament to have a successful longstanding relationship than someone with another temperament. The example you brought up about Simon Barnes is a good example of a long relationship of Diana's although I don't know how frequently they stayed in touch.

But we all act out of character sometimes. Even the Queen dropped her normal guard one day. Two little girls were in the crowds arguing between themselves who she was and whether she really was the Queen. The Queen reached down to one of them, put the little girl's face between her hands and said with a smiling beaming face, "It's me!" :lol:

Very well written ysbel, I had a 'friend' like that. She seemed to find it easier to show 5 minutes affection to strangers in short bursts, than to commit to anyone for any period of time. The sort of 'friend' that pushes you away and within a few days or weeks regrets it and expects you to drop everything to take up where you left off. :rolleyes:

Thanks skydragon. :flowers: Well I'm learning a lot about this personality because I learned that my boss is like that. She drove me crazy when I first started to work for her because it seemed like everyone she met was her next new best friend. But she really is a good person and she does try to support everyone around her. I've learned to take what she says with a hefty bucket of salt. I never understood before I met my boss how Diana could have ever sworn that Paul Burrell was her Rock and not mean it but after hearing my boss swear by the next new person she met and forget who she swore by before, I can definitely understand how Diana could call Paul Burrell her Rock and then forget about it later.

Last edited:
from “Diana in search of herself” by Sally Bedell Smith written that
“in a luncheon conversation with Tina Brown, then editor of the New Yorker, Diana said she was thinking about traveling to China becasue Blair "wants me to go on some missisions... I'm really like to go to China.I'm very good at sorting people's heads out" Tina Brown noted in The New Yorker that Diana's manner was "devoid of irony"

I thought it was mentioed that Diana thought she can go to Northern Ireland on some missions as well. Mr Campell may have told the truth, but I don't know whether they both sides had their own agendas,but Diana died in August so there was no further disucussion any way. But Diana would have visited Hong Kong on September 26 for a charity evening if she were alive.

from “Diana in search of herself” by Sally Bedell Smith written that
“in a luncheon conversation with Tina Brown, then editor of the New Yorker, Diana said she was thinking about traveling to China becasue Blair "wants me to go on some missions... I'm really like to go to China.I'm very good at sorting people's heads out" Tina Brown noted in The New Yorker that Diana's manner was "devoid of irony".
Now that I do find unbelievable, what 'missions' could Diana have undertaken on behalf of the UK government, that other well trained men and women couldn't do?

Diana could never have been sent to NI, the IRA hated anything and anyone even remotely connected to the British monarchy.

It's very sad that Diana never seemed to realise that she wasn't good at sorting anyones head out, especially her own. :neutral:

Last edited:
This is a wonderful tribute. Thank you for posting the link PrincessDi. It was just wonderful to recapture the warmth and genuineness of the Princess. To see the special bond between Princess Diana and her sons; and that bond which she had carefully nurtured is very much evident when we watch them interact with one another. This came thru very well during their interview.

Last edited:
Never Say Diana

Princess Diana - Queen of Hearts, celebrity princess, spurned wife of Prince Charles (tampon to Camilla), lover to Dodi Fayed (son to corner shop owner Mohamed al Fayed), mother to princes William and Harry, blonde, non-seatbelt wearer - is not dead. Not really.

Never Say Diana » News & Views: Anorak

I thought it was funny, they have one on Charles as well, but I was unable to open it! :lol:

Wonderful news of Diana, the Princess of Wales this exhibition will surely be a hit.

So much for all those accusations a while back that the National Portrait Gallery was removing all the Diana portraits under orders from Clarence House as part of an attempt to airbrush Diana from history, or whatever the specific accusation was.

So much for all those accusations a while back that the National Portrait Gallery was removing all the Diana portraits under orders from Clarence House as part of an attempt to airbrush Diana from history, or whatever the specific accusation was.

Well, somebody must have changed his mind :rolleyes:. Good thing, though.

How awful, even in death they are making money out of her and her 'fans'! :rolleyes:

since after their death they are part of history of a country they become automatically part of the touristindustry

Hmm, reminds me of that old song by Steve Martin:
King Tut

Dancing by the Nile,​

(Disco dancing)​

The ladies love his style.​

(Fox Tut)​

Rockin' for a mile,​

(Rockin' Tut)​

He ate a crocodile.​

He gave his life for tourism.

(King Tut)​

(Tut, tut. Tut, tut . . .)​