The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 6: June-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I wasn't but I just read the article her nose is quite large on the coin. :D
But its interesting that Belgium minted a coin of the Princess?
I think it is a good likeness, it's probably based on some of Mario Testino's pictures. I don't think it is legal tender in Belgium, (perhaps someone from Belgium can tell us). In the UK we tend to stick with the Queen and national symbols.

Until 1975 she was only the honourable Diana Spencer, it was after her grandfather died that she was called Lady. So her title was not older anyway! :rolleyes:
She wasn't even born when he became Britain's Prince Philip so the gist of what they meant escapes us both. It might be something only the aristocrats and nobles know. Or it might be something Tina Brown made up.

She wasn't even born when he became Britain's Prince Philip so the gist of what they meant escapes us both. It might be something only the aristocrats and nobles know. Or it might be something Tina Brown made up.
Even if she meant lineage, she was wrong as Philips is older, the Spencers were only given the title of Earl in 1765.

But... we don't even know if this conversation took place! :flowers:

But... we don't even know if this conversation took place! :flowers:

True, it's the same thing for every conversation or fact published with no proof at all. It makes everyone think they know the royals after reading such a thing but unless living, seeing, talking with them every day, I hardly believe a commoner could pretend knowing them perfectly. Even with a close relationship you can't be sure to know them. It's the same thing in life, you live among people, friends, but how can you be sure to be aware of every side of their personnality ?
And that's why they are so popular, they keep the mystery alive.
There's a proverb which says :" Usually, the ones who know don't speak, the ones who speak don't know". Goes well to some writers :rolleyes:

Last edited:
does anyone know if their will be special magazines this week of her birthday vs her death? i want to collect a few. i know newsweek has one out about her that is excellent. any thoughts?

does anyone know if their will be special magazines this week of her birthday vs her death? i want to collect a few. i know newsweek has one out about her that is excellent. any thoughts?
Hello has one this week and imagine others will as well

There was one this week but it's a french magazine special issue and I doubt it will interest you. Anyway, here's the link : Point de Vue *.:.* Point de Vue .:. HS-DIANA

I've moved some posts, so a reminder that articles and reviews on Tina Brown's book should be posted in The Diana Chronicles thread in the Royal Library Forum.

IT would have been a bittersweet 46th birthday for Diana, Princess of Wales

News of the World: News

I know this piece is written by Morton, but this is just laughable..." Tony Blair was on the brink of giving her a roving role as an ambassador" :ROFLMAO:

The Princess of Wales would have been a great ambassador for England.

An Ambassador? Oh please. The woman was already attracting negative press for poking her nose into Britain's diplomatic affairs and was interfering in things that didn't concern her. Absolute rubbish.

I too think she would have made a great Ambassador for England. Perhaps it is how other countries viewed her that matters the most?

Lily

An Ambassador? Oh please. The woman was already attracting negative press for poking her nose into Britain's diplomatic affairs and was interfering in things that didn't concern her. Absolute rubbish.
Blair had only just come to power, he was hardly going to risk alienating many of his cohorts by appointing this troubled woman. Where could she have gone to 'sort out their problems', certainly not NI which needed careful negotiations. Not even a 'trouble zone' for the landmine cause (which Britain was not really involved in), when she had her famous photos taken, men had spent a long time in advance ensuring that there was no danger of any landmine in the vicinity.
Like so many things, this piece of news was just an overactive imagination...... :lol:

In fact her death made things changed a little. The Ottawa Treaty against Anti-Personnel Landmines was signed by 122 country in 1997 .

From Wikipédia : Ottawa Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Ottawa Treaty or the Mine Ban Treaty, formally the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction, bans completely all anti-personnel landmines (AP-mines)"

Maybe Diana was not entirely responsible for this descision, but at least she made people react.

In fact her death made things changed a little. The Ottawa Treaty against Anti-Personnel Landmines was signed by 122 country in 1997 .
Maybe Diana was not entirely responsible for this descision, but at least she made people react.
Her death had no effect on the signing of the treaty. Many governments were already working for an end to Landmines, she just gave attention to it for the celebrity minded, who don't normally see what is going on in the real world and have nothing to do with policy making. :flowers:

Vivienne Parry who worked closely with the late Princess on certain health programmes has this to say in the above article as posted on Times Online June 30, 2007:
'Even if her contribution to HIV had been just a handshake, she would have made an enormous contribution but there was so much more. The proof, if any were needed of the Diana effect, is what has happenned to HIV since her death; there has been a tremendous loss of focus......HIV is still rising dramatically in the UK but it has slipped off the news agenda'

The celebrity participation in modern life cannot be brushed off just like that. Why do you think the UN has resorted to using celebrities like Angeline Jolie, Nicole Kidman and others?

The celebrity participation in modern life cannot be brushed off just like that. Why do you think the UN has resorted to using celebrities like Angeline Jolie, Nicole Kidman and others?
Are you really saying you knew nothing about AIDS or the Landmines until Diana had her picture in the magazines? It is perhaps an American 'thing', to only listen to what celebs tell you. Angelina in particular is a very poor example
Angelina Jolie Facing Legal Woes Over Cambodian Exploitations - Associated Content
Unicef existed before the celebs were involved and some seem to do it for publicity reasons. Do you immediately think AIDS whenever you see Diana or Elton, no of course not.
Vivienne Parry should realise that AIDS is now a normal part of life for some, it is no longer new and frightening, although perhaps it should be. Very many people work hard to raise money for research, they always have and it didn't all begin and end with Diana.

Are you really saying you knew nothing about AIDS or the Landmines until Diana had her picture in the magazines? Very many people work hard to raise money for research, they always have and it didn't all begin and end with Diana.

Of course there is many people that work endlessly for a cause but the help of a celebrity is never refused. It can't be bad to give your image to a charity if it helps collecting fonds. It's very legitimate and makes people more aware of a disease or whatever. I'm okay with the idea but sometimes some celebrities use this way to get their popularity back (thank god, charities are not always too naive to accept their offers :rolleyes:). I will never critize Diana for involving herself in causes. It helped people and raised alot of money, which some association presidents never thought they would receive one day.

Are you really saying you knew nothing about AIDS or the Landmines until Diana had her picture in the magazines? It is perhaps an American 'thing', to only listen to what celebs tell you. Angelina in particular is a very poor example
Angelina Jolie Facing Legal Woes Over Cambodian Exploitations - Associated Content
Unicef existed before the celebs were involved and some seem to do it for publicity reasons. Do you immediately think AIDS whenever you see Diana or Elton, no of course not.
Vivienne Parry should realise that AIDS is now a normal part of life for some, it is no longer new and frightening, although perhaps it should be. Very many people work hard to raise money for research, they always have and it didn't all begin and end with Diana.

You are so right. It didn't all begin and end with Diana but it sure received a shot in the arm because she came into the picture. Reading Vivienne Parry's account gave me the perspective of how lonely and difficult the stuggle is for these hardworking people involved in these projects. It is often a case of :bang:. When a person like Diana shows up, they get the exposure they need. Al Gore is a good example for the current struggle for our environment. That is so sad about Angeline Jolie - she is only human and I pray that she recants of the hurt she has caused these fine people. However, let us not forget there is always two sides to a story.

Al Gore is a good example for the current struggle for our environment.

If only he had the resume and history of involvement in this area that the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales have. He's a johnny-come-lately compared to them.

His involvement goes back to the mid-1970s, which isn't bad for a politician!

You are so right. It didn't all begin and end with Diana but it sure received a shot in the arm because she came into the picture.
Yes it did, but sadly a friend who is involved with the Terrence Higgins Trust, set up in 1982, says more people became 'aware' of the struggles faced by anyone with HIV or aids, through the marvelous film 'Philadelphia'. :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom