The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 6: June-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana...blew the door wide open for what it means to be a "modern royal", for any and ALL of the royal families left in Europe..

I often wonder...would Juan Felipe have married Letizia, Haakon married Mette Marit, Willem marry Maxima, and Frederik marry Mary...had it not been in some way for Diana...

Maybe they thought a little "Well if she could do it so could we"

King Harald & Queen Sonja married in quite controversial (for those times) situation, and that was before anyone had ever heard about Diana. So I think yes, we would still have Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima and Mary, whether the world ever learn of Diana, or not.

I think Diana's contribution to the British Monarchy is a matter of different opinions. For me, Diana contributing to ruining the 'mystique' image Monarchy had, made it more Hollywood/soap opera like, which personally I don't welcome.

Many Royals before her managed to reach out to people, while not forgetting they were Royals, and least of all, not trying to destroy the institution they were part of themselves.

I don't minimize Diana's deeds, I liked her and I still do. But if I like a person, it doesn't mean I want to see only good in them, while keeping a blind eye on the less flattering things she did.

That second article was interesting but also pointless.

Diana was 'devious, slow and disturbingly neurotic,' mocks Germaine Greer | News | This is London

Very good article for those who raed it!

!0 years further down the line, Diana will just be a distant memory for all but the hard core fans. Camilla is already replacing Diana in people's minds in the UK, IMO. Very few 'normal' people say 'do you remember when Diana' did this or that.

An icon is someone who is seen as someone who's behaviour is worth living up to. Diana had many advantages over most children from one parent families and they don't make a meal out of having all her 'problems'.

She is certainly not someone I would want any girl to aspire to be like! :eek:

That's an extremely interesting article. I agreed with some points in it. Yes, Diana was not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and she could be a bit neurotic. But she didn't have an easy life, I wouldn't blame anyone in that situation if they went a bit batty.

I also disagree with some of your points. People are not forgetting Diana and replacing her with Camilla. It will be a VERY long time before anyone forgets who Diana was. Camilla has earned a name for herself, not so much in Diana's shadow. She is being recognized not as much for being Charles' lover, but his beloved wife and for being the good person that she is.

And no, I wouldn't want my daughter to be neurotic, bulimic, have retaliatory love affairs, and take on a new lover by the day after a divorce. But I would want her to be loving, compassionate, a good mother, and a great humanitarian, all of which Diana was.

I'm not sure if this has been posted already as I have only scanned the last 2 pages of this thread, but this coming Sunday, on the TLC channel, there is going to be 2 specials aired about Diana.
One is called something like "Diana: 10 years in pictures" and the 2nd one is a documentary "Diana: the last days of a Princess".

Not sure of the exact titles, or the times, but I will check and post again later. I know the documentary is a couple of hours long and will be shown at least 4 times in a row that night.
I only caught it as I was scrolling thru my DVD thing last night to record some other show. But I'll check and post more info again later.

UPDATE: You can go to www.tcl.discovery.com and they have a nice layout on Diana. The show I mentioned above will air on Sunday Aug12th at 8/7c.

Last edited:
'Diana' docudrama lacks tact and TLC
stars_1.0.gif

'Diana' docudrama lacks tact and TLC

FYI, for those of you in the US that may be interested, tonight TLC is airing a documentary on Diana at 8pm :flowers: For those of you anywhere else in the world, I'm not sure if you get this channel.

TONIGHT: "Diana: Last Days of a Princess" is an ambitious docudrama that revisits Diana's activities leading up to her untimely death 10 years ago this month. The program weaves together dramatic portrayals and revealing interviews with close associates of Diana and Dodi Fayed, including the latter's father. 8 p.m., TLC.

Around the Remote
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 08/12/2007 03:06:01 AM PDT

http://www.mercurynews.com/tv/ci_6606643

A moment of madness? | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

A moment of madness?

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ten years ago Britain mourned the death of Princess Diana with an intensity that took many aback. Today, that feels like another era. So was that week of high emotion a bizarre lapse - or something far more significant? By Jonathan Freedland[/FONT]

French TV broadcast 'Diana' docudrama on Thursday, August 30 on TF1 at 8.50 PM. Followed by doucmentary on the Princess : Le droit de savoir - Magazines

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II has decided that the Union Jack will not be flown at half-mast above the Buckingham Palace on Princess Diana's tenth death anniversary slated for later this month

'No flag on Princess Diana's 10th death anniversary'-UK-World-The Times of India
That is a very weird article. "Diana's first Death Anniversary" makes it sound as if she died more than once? To me at least.
As for flying the flag on the anniversary of her death, is that something normal?
I know here in the States, we fly the flag on their actual death, but NOT on their anniversary.
I don't know why they would consider flying the flag at half mast on her anniversary unless of course it is something that has been done before in the past.

Last edited:
The movie was okay the actress who played Diana annoyed me in the beginning.

The movie was okay the actress who played Diana annoyed me in the beginning.

Thanks for giving me your thoughts :flowers:. I'll see that when it will be aired on August 30. But France is not a good country to broadcast shows in original version so there will be the dubbing ... again :neutral:

There will be many shows and documentaries on Diana this week. Here are some broadcast infos (only French TV ... sorry )

August 25, 10.55 PM, France 3 : Diana et les fantômes de l'Alma (docu.)
August 26, 4.35 PM, Arte : Le destin de Lady Di (docu.)
August 26, 4.40 PM, M6 : Diana, les derniers jours (docu.)
August 29, 8.40 PM, Arte : Lady Diana contre Elizabeth II (docu.)
August 30, 8.50 PM, TF1 : Diana, les derniers jours d'une princesse (docudrama)
August 30, 10.35 PM, TF1 : Le Droit de Savoir (docu.)
August 31, 3.05 PM, France 3 : Diana, princesse du Peuple (Tv show)

Last edited:
Oh dear, some of this headlines seem rather interesting, don't they? I particularly like the 4th and 6th ones. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, some of this headlines seem rather interesting, don't they? I particularly like the 4th and 6th ones. :rolleyes:

I agree with 4th one, sounds silly :D. The 6th is just the title of the documentary. It's a monthly documentary so it always has this title and a sub-title depending on what is going to be broadcast. The sub-title is : 'Diana, les derniers mystères' or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ninemsn

Germaine Greer has launched a scathing attack on the late Princess of Wales, labelling her a "devious moron".

Greer lashes out at Princess Diana

My two cents: This is a pathetically sour indavidual! She certainly isn't thought of warmly here, in her homeland, by the greater majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom