The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 5: April-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the post, sirhon11234. I remember watching that on the news years ago. She was quite wonderful with her boys.

I hadn't seen the ones of her in the blue poofy blouse before, karla64. I thought they looked terrible. The other ones aren't particularly flattering, except for the one where she smiles... but I've seen those before and gotten used to them. Too bad the taste in the late 70s/early 80s was so glam and over the top... she was a natural beauty.

HRH Kimetha said:
Yet another exploitation of anyone being associated with Diana from the past. They come out of the woodwork from everywhere. It's a wonder the store that sold Diana her lingerie hasn't come out to sell exclusive "Diana" undergarments that she bought.:ohmy:
The Emanuels aren't being exploited. They put together a very nice, very discreet volume about the making of Diana's gown, not tittle tattle and lies about her private life. Their book didn't hurt anyone, and it didn't 'betray' Diana. In any case, and the article leaves this out, the silk remnants were sold with the special collector's edition of the book, which was a rather fancy volume with a special binding, endpapers, etc., not the regular edition.

Last edited:
iowabelle said:
I hadn't seen the ones of her in the blue poofy blouse before, karla64. I thought they looked terrible. The other ones aren't particularly flattering, except for the one where she smiles... but I've seen those before and gotten used to them. Too bad the taste in the late 70s/early 80s was so glam and over the top... she was a natural beauty.

The blue blouse overwhelmed her. It was no doubt a hit when it was taken but no classic today. Looks like she was drowning in that top. Still she was quite beautiful.

sassie said:
The Emanuels aren't being exploited. They put together a very nice, very discreet volume about the making of Diana's gown, not tittle tattle and lies about her private life. Their book didn't hurt anyone, and it didn't 'betray' Diana. In any case, and the article leaves this out, the silk remnants were sold with the special collector's edition of the book, which was a rather fancy volume with a special binding, endpapers, etc., not the regular edition.

Rereading my response, I have to reword that I didn't mean that the Emanuels were being exploited, but that their association with the late Diana gave them reason to 'exploit' her memory. It was another way to make money off of Diana, whether one donates the money or not. Princes William and Harry can also be accused of exploitation, if their aim is to use their mother's memory and pictures to 'sell' for charitable organisations and thus are morally permitted to do so. However, they also 'own' the rights to do such a thing as they are her children. Elvis was a smart man in that he left even his 'likeness' to his daughter, which through Priscilla made a lot of money for Lisa Marie's and future descendants welfare.

HRH Kimetha said:
Rereading my response, I have to reword that I didn't mean that the Emanuels were being exploited, but that their association with the late Diana gave them reason to 'exploit' her memory. It was another way to make money off of Diana, whether one donates the money or not.
Well, I'll have to disagree. The Emanuels designed the gown, they did the work to create it, and they did not 'exploit' private memories of Diana, but confined themselves to sharing memories of the creation of the gown. The book was respectful, and beautifully done, and the silk remnants were offered to collectors who wanted a little something extra in memory of the Princess' wedding day.

It was the story of a beautiful and historic gown, not of the girl who wore it. They didn't make money off Diana, they made money off the gown they created. If anyone bought that book thinking it was about anything but the gown, they were disappointed.

The gown that Emmanuel designed didn't get glowing reviews from the fashion experts at the time as I recall and Diana reportedly was quite embarassed by it later so I don't know how she'd feel if she were alive about the Emmanuel's bringing up one of her fashion disasters again.

I think its possible that the interest in the gown is more in the fact that Diana chose it for her wedding rather than for any intrinsic worth the gown had. That's not always the case; I know some people who are fascinated by Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe in Breakfast at Tiffanys but they don't particularly like the actress or the movie; they just like the clothes.

I think its also possible the Emanuels used the book for publicity for their other fashions which wouldn't necessarily be wrong in my opinion (designers do it all the time) but it would be capitalizing on their association with Diana to sell their other clothes. But I haven't really seen their name in the news other than in association with Diana's wedding dress which was designed almost 30 years ago so I don't know how they're doing on the fashion scene.

ysbel said:
I think its possible that the interest in the gown is more in the fact that Diana chose it for her wedding rather than for any intrinsic worth the gown had. That's not always the case; I know some people who are fascinated by Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe in Breakfast at Tiffanys but they don't particularly like the actress or the movie; they just like the clothes.

True, and that could also be said of any of the royal wedding gowns. "Historic" was probably the wrong word for me to use-except that it was the gown that featured in one of the larger public spectacles of the 20th century, which gives it some cachet.

I think its also possible the Emanuels used the book for publicity for their other fashions which wouldn't necessarily be wrong in my opinion (designers do it all the time) but it would be capitalizing on their association with Diana to sell their other clothes. But I haven't really seen their name in the news other than in association with Diana's wedding dress which was designed almost 30 years ago so I don't know how they're doing on the fashion scene.

True, but in that case, they've been cashing in on their association with Diana since 1981, so the book wasn't anything new. "Capitalizing" on a client is more accurate than 'exploiting'.

ysbel said:
The gown that Emmanuel designed didn't get glowing reviews from the fashion experts at the time as I recall ....
...I think its also possible the Emanuels used the book for publicity for their other fashions which wouldn't necessarily be wrong in my opinion (designers do it all the time) but it would be capitalizing on their association with Diana to sell their other clothes. But I haven't really seen their name in the news other than in association with Diana's wedding dress which was designed almost 30 years ago so I don't know how they're doing on the fashion scene.
I clearly remember the horror at the design and the creases in it.

The Emmanuels divorced some time ago and in 1996 Elizabeth lost the right to trade on the name even!
Elizabeth

Thanks for the article. It was the first thing I saw when I logged onto AOL this morning.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I clearly remember the horror at the design and the creases in it.

The Emmanuels divorced some time ago and in 1996 Elizabeth lost the right to trade on the name even!
Elizabeth

Ah THAT'S the reason they haven't been in the news as of late. I wondered why a Google search yielded no website for their designs. Most designers have quite smart websites.

If the Emmanuel's don't have a business to attract new clients to, then it does look like they're milking their 15 minutes of fame with Diana.

Seems like that was a waste to go to court. Not using the name was well established at the time of sale. She waited this long to get her hands in the Diana "pie". Who will cash in next?

ysbel said:
Ah THAT'S the reason they haven't been in the news as of late. I wondered why a Google search yielded no website for their designs. Most designers have quite smart websites.

If the Emmanuel's don't have a business to attract new clients to, then it does look like they're milking their 15 minutes of fame with Diana.

Elizabeth Emanuel Home

Thanks for the link sassie. I thought it was strange for them to drop off the map entirely.

I'm still not that convinced of the tastefulness of selling scraps of remnants of Diana's gown. It reminds me of selling locks of hair of the Beatles.

ysbel said:
Thanks for the link sassie. I thought it was strange for them to drop off the map entirely.

I'm still not that convinced of the tastefulness of selling scraps of remnants of Diana's gown. It reminds me of selling locks of hair of the Beatles.

Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it individually. The special edition of the book is quite unique, and beautifully done, and, due to the hefty price, intended for serious collectors, so for those who buy one, a remnant from the bolt of silk is probably something the buyer will treasure.

I don't think it is as distasteful as selling locks of hair or snippets from the gown itself. Just my opinion. :flowers:

sassie said:
Well, I'll have to disagree. The Emanuels designed the gown, they did the work to create it, and they did not 'exploit' private memories of Diana, but confined themselves to sharing memories of the creation of the gown. The book was respectful, and beautifully done, and the silk remnants were offered to collectors who wanted a little something extra in memory of the Princess' wedding day.

It was the story of a beautiful and historic gown, not of the girl who wore it. They didn't make money off Diana, they made money off the gown they created. If anyone bought that book thinking it was about anything but the gown, they were disappointed.

Let us agree to disagree.:flowers:

ysbel said:

Looking at that web site, it is a pity Elizabeth didn't drop off the map. The David and Elizabeth Emmanuel brand went into liquidation owing over 250,000GBP. :ohmy:

Shame that Diana's death has turned into a lucrative business. I know that the junior Princes of Wales cherish their mother's memory in their hearts but there is not a day that goes by that they aren't reminded of her tragic death. Shame that everyone's trying to make a pound, dollar, etc.

Skydragon said:
Calls For Diana Documentary To Be Axed

The Conservatives want Channel 4 to cancel a documentary featuring pictures of the car crash that killed Diana, Princess of Wales.

Pressure On Channel 4 Over Diana Show

Channel 4 has found itself at the centre of another storm after refusing to cancel a documentary showing graphic images of the crash which killed Diana, Princess of Wales

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070528/tuk-pressure-on-channel-4-over-diana-sho-45dbed5.html

There's no reason to show those pictures, other than sensationalism and a wish to gain ratings.

Whatever happened, I wonder, to that vow all the media took the day after the crash to "never" show those pictures? I guess "never" isn't as long as we all think.

I just read about this show on another website and I think it is disgusting. I completley agree with sassie that it is just sensationalism. I hope they do cancel the show. I'm sure her family and friends don't want this show to air. Has the royal family commented on the show yet?

i agree, what be the point in showing the pictures of the crash. there's never any point in showing anything like that. it's morbid. as much as i dislike al fayed, he did lose a son and i'm sure he has no desire to see anything like that either.

Knightley to play Princess Diana?

Actress Keira Knightley is being lined up to play Diana, Princess Of Wales in a movie based on the late royal's life

Knightley to play Princess Diana? - Yahoo! News UK

"For every pound The Queen makes, a film about Diana will make ten."

That is why books, films and documentaries by channel 4 will continue. :neutral:

kerry said:
Shame that Diana's death has turned into a lucrative business. I know that the junior Princes of Wales cherish their mother's memory in their hearts but there is not a day that goes by that they aren't reminded of her tragic death. Shame that everyone's trying to make a pound, dollar, etc.

I agree with you.There are so many people out there willing to make a quick dollar by putting out trash... I've read about a biography that is coming out about Diana that doesn't sound too trustworthy,completely researched and well-rounded.What's salacious and scandalous seems to be what sells these days and that's sad.I don't mind so much if an author gives a complete telling of Diana's life,giving an honest,balanced,truthful accounting,but it just seems to me that unscrupulous people just stick Diana's face and name on anything that is negative and hurtful and then make their rounds to all of the talk shows selling their slime.

And I am not interested in seeing pictures of poor,unconscious Diana receiving medical aid;don't these people understand that Diana died because she was being chased by paparazzi?!?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom