The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
Well, I'll have to disagree. The Emanuels designed the gown, they did the work to create it, and they did not 'exploit' private memories of Diana, but confined themselves to sharing memories of the creation of the gown. The book was respectful, and beautifully done, and the silk remnants were offered to collectors who wanted a little something extra in memory of the Princess' wedding day.

It was the story of a beautiful and historic gown, not of the girl who wore it. They didn't make money off Diana, they made money off the gown they created. If anyone bought that book thinking it was about anything but the gown, they were disappointed.
Let us agree to disagree.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Thanks for the link sassie. I thought it was strange for them to drop off the map entirely.

I'm still not that convinced of the tastefulness of selling scraps of remnants of Diana's gown. It reminds me of selling locks of hair of the Beatles.
Looking at that web site, it is a pity Elizabeth didn't drop off the map. The David and Elizabeth Emmanuel brand went into liquidation owing over 250,000GBP.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Shame that Diana's death has turned into a lucrative business. I know that the junior Princes of Wales cherish their mother's memory in their hearts but there is not a day that goes by that they aren't reminded of her tragic death. Shame that everyone's trying to make a pound, dollar, etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Calls For Diana Documentary To Be Axed

The Conservatives want Channel 4 to cancel a documentary featuring pictures of the car crash that killed Diana, Princess of Wales.

Calls For Diana Documentary To Be Axed - Yahoo! News UK

Pressure On Channel 4 Over Diana Show

Channel 4 has found itself at the centre of another storm after refusing to cancel a documentary showing graphic images of the crash which killed Diana, Princess of Wales

Pressure On Channel 4 Over Diana Show - Yahoo! News UK
Old 05-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Calls For Diana Documentary To Be Axed

The Conservatives want Channel 4 to cancel a documentary featuring pictures of the car crash that killed Diana, Princess of Wales.

Pressure On Channel 4 Over Diana Show

Channel 4 has found itself at the centre of another storm after refusing to cancel a documentary showing graphic images of the crash which killed Diana, Princess of Wales
There's no reason to show those pictures, other than sensationalism and a wish to gain ratings.

Whatever happened, I wonder, to that vow all the media took the day after the crash to "never" show those pictures? I guess "never" isn't as long as we all think.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

I just read about this show on another website and I think it is disgusting. I completley agree with sassie that it is just sensationalism. I hope they do cancel the show. I'm sure her family and friends don't want this show to air. Has the royal family commented on the show yet?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

i agree, what be the point in showing the pictures of the crash. there's never any point in showing anything like that. it's morbid. as much as i dislike al fayed, he did lose a son and i'm sure he has no desire to see anything like that either.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
The Royalist - Channel 4 Defends Diana Crash Photos Documentary

It seems that they aren't dropping the idea ...
Although, if the royal family makes a statement they will give up.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Knightley to play Princess Diana?

Actress Keira Knightley is being lined up to play Diana, Princess Of Wales in a movie based on the late royal's life

Knightley to play Princess Diana? - Yahoo! News UK

"For every pound The Queen makes, a film about Diana will make ten."

That is why books, films and documentaries by channel 4 will continue.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Shame that Diana's death has turned into a lucrative business. I know that the junior Princes of Wales cherish their mother's memory in their hearts but there is not a day that goes by that they aren't reminded of her tragic death. Shame that everyone's trying to make a pound, dollar, etc.
I agree with you.There are so many people out there willing to make a quick dollar by putting out trash... I've read about a biography that is coming out about Diana that doesn't sound too trustworthy,completely researched and well-rounded.What's salacious and scandalous seems to be what sells these days and that's sad.I don't mind so much if an author gives a complete telling of Diana's life,giving an honest,balanced,truthful accounting,but it just seems to me that unscrupulous people just stick Diana's face and name on anything that is negative and hurtful and then make their rounds to all of the talk shows selling their slime.

And I am not interested in seeing pictures of poor,unconscious Diana receiving medical aid;don't these people understand that Diana died because she was being chased by paparazzi?!?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thats great that Keira might play Diana.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Knightley to play Princess Diana?

Actress Keira Knightley is being lined up to play Diana, Princess Of Wales in a movie based on the late royal's life

Knightley to play Princess Diana? - Yahoo! News UK

"For every pound The Queen makes, a film about Diana will make ten."

That is why books, films and documentaries by channel 4 will continue.
True. But, in the case of the Channel 4 documentary, it doesn't have to include the last pictures.

I know a lot of 'forbidden' pictures are out there-the JFK autopsy, etc, etc-but the Paris crash was one instance where the blanket press, publicly, agreed that the pictures would never be published. Largely because the media had such a direct hand in Diana's death. It's not so hard to honor that-there are certainly enough photographic images of Diana to supply 100 documentaries without using the final ones-so their use is just pointless.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There's no reason to show those pictures, other than sensationalism and a wish to gain ratings.

Whatever happened, I wonder, to that vow all the media took the day after the crash to "never" show those pictures? I guess "never" isn't as long as we all think.
Like treaties, vows can be broken, especially if money is involved. I bet channel 4 will reap a lot of money from sponsors, unless of course, the public somehow forces those sponsors to back out after a fear of a boycott of their products. Another example of exploitation that has gripped pretty much of the world when dealing with Diana memorability and press on the 10th anniversary of her death.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
True. But, in the case of the Channel 4 documentary, it doesn't have to include the last pictures.

I know a lot of 'forbidden' pictures are out there-the JFK autopsy, etc, etc-but the Paris crash was one instance where the blanket press, publicly, agreed that the pictures would never be published.
The press only withheld publishing the last photos because the public was a howling mob that was looking for their blood after it was found out that the car crashed after being chased by the papparazzi. There was no altruistic motive for withholding the pictures, just the press trying to save its own hide.

The tabloids had only just adroitly turned all that hate and fury away from themselves and channelled the mad and extreme anger towards the hapless Royal Family and the Queen. It was a remarkable stroke of genius for the tabloid media although in my mind, it was totally and irreversibly reprehensible. In that one gutless and cowardly act, the press affirmed that its only goal was to serve itself and that Diana and the Royal Family be damned.

In that terrible environment so filled with hate and anger and the public needing an object for all that hatred, the press would have brought all that hatred back on the press if they had published crash photos of Diana. There was no concern for the families of the deceased in their agreement not to publish the photos, but rather concern for their own hides.

They were as slimey then as they are now. The leopard has not changed its spots although now 10 years after Diana's death, we can see the spots a bit better now. And now, especially after the coroner's report, we know that the papparazzi chasing Diana's car wasn't the sole (or even the primary) cause of the crash so its harder to whip the public in a frenzy against the papparazzi again.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Broadcaster Defends Plan to Air Diana Photos
Top News - Broadcaster Defends Plan to Air Diana Photos - AOL News
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
AOL also has a poll asking should the photos be aired or not. Almost 70% polled think not. I voted no.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
AOL also has a poll asking should the photos be aired or not. Almost 70% polled think not. I voted no.
Me to Kerry.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

How could Channel 4 show a picture of her death?

For virtually her entire adult life, Princess Diana was pursued by photographers, an endless chase that frequently reduced her to furious tears.

How could Channel 4 show a picture of her death? | News | This is London
Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
The italian magazine, 'Chi', published a photo of the dying Diana in July 2006. It was totally condemned by all the press in the world and by the princes. Channel 4 is going to sink if they decide to broadcast it ! Why are they so stubborn ?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

They're stubborn because money is involved.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana