The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 5: April-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone always has to be negative. Diana's legacy his her children and her charity work.

ysbel said:
This is an interesting article but its a bit harsh on Diana. A quote from the article has an interesting snippet of fact about where Diana put her money. I don't think Diana was wrong to do so but the author makes an interesting conclusion. I admit I would have been very disappointed if Diana had left money to anyone other than William and Harry though. They are her flesh and blood.

Why would you have been disappointed? Her estate was so large that I think it would have been reasonable to leave some charitable bequests. Her sons are never going to be short of a quid.

How many favourite charities did Diana end up with? I can't remember, but say it was six. If she had left 500,000 pounds to each of the six, a total of 3 million, it would hardly have made a noticeable dent in what her sons will inherit from her yet it would have made an enormous difference to each of those charities.

Roslyn said:
How many favourite charities did Diana end up with? I can't remember, but say it was six. If she had left 500,000 pounds to each of the six, a total of 3 million, it would hardly have made a noticeable dent in what her sons will inherit from her yet it would have made an enormous difference to each of those charities.
I agree with all you have said. Some people say she 'left her name', but how many of them give even a penny to the charities she was associated with and how many give purely because she was associated with those charities? :ermm:

Roslyn said:
Why would you have been disappointed? Her estate was so large that I think it would have been reasonable to leave some charitable bequests. Her sons are never going to be short of a quid.

You're right Roslyn. I wouldn't have begrudged Diana leaving some of her money to charity. I would have only been disappointed if she had left one or both of her sons out of her will to donate to charity which has happened in some multimillion dollar estates.

Lohan will never get the part of the Princess.

sirhon11234 said:
Lohan will never get the part of the Princess.

Sirhon, it didn't mention who he might be considering in the article, but have read otherwise if this film would be getting done and who he might be considering?

Let's get the "banned postcards" nonsense in perspective. The article continues:

"A spokeswoman for the Royal Collection, which runs the souvenir shops at the royal residences, said: 'We do stock some Diana memorabilia, particularly books. It's just the postcards that we don't sell. We have this rule that we only stock postcards of current members of the British Royal Family.' "

It's an interesting "rule," since technically she wasn't a member of the Royal Family since 1996, and postcards have been sold until recently. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big anti-Diana plot, more probably some personnel got together and thought about updating the goods sold at the shops.)

Has anyone actually seen a postcard of Diana for sale in a royal gift shop recently? Without evidence to the contrary, the spokeswoman for the Royal Collections may very well be telling the truth, and they've been following this rule for years. For all we know, the press is only now deciding to make a brouhaha about it to fill some column space and stir things up.

Yes that's right sassie. The press always make a fuss with all subjects touching to Diana. Although after 10 years, Diana is still the one who sells the most memorabilia in royal gift shops.

iowabelle said:
It's an interesting "rule," since technically she wasn't a member of the Royal Family since 1996, and postcards have been sold until recently. (Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a big anti-Diana plot, more probably some personnel got together and thought about updating the goods sold at the shops.)
The Princess of Wales was still regarded as a member of the British Royal family after her divorce from Charles.

Warren said:
Let's get the "banned postcards" nonsense in perspective. The article continues:

"A spokeswoman for the Royal Collection, which runs the souvenir shops at the royal residences, said: 'We do stock some Diana memorabilia, particularly books. It's just the postcards that we don't sell. We have this rule that we only stock postcards of current members of the British Royal Family.' "

That's one example how some can slant the news. Journalists and people alike will take something and speak about it out of context and change the whole meaning of it. For those of us who have worked in newsrooms (both print & television), we can appreciate it more and can discern whether rumours and reporting are actual accurate or if it is to sway a viewer or reader.

Whether Diana was a member of the Royal Family or not at the time of her death, she did play a major role in providing a royal heir and thus should have some printed material about her as what is being done.:)

sirhon11234 said:
The Princess of Wales was still regarded as a member of the British Royal family after her divorce from Charles.

is this true? i'd always heard that she wasn't. i'd only heard her referred to as the mother of the future king.

A major role? Any moron can pop out a baby or two, it isn't exactly brain surgery. I think the Royal Collection is being sensible. Apart from Henry VIII and his wives, it would be impossible for them to keep producing and stocking postcards of every Royal who'd ever lived. And if they don't stock them of the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Princess Alice then they obviously won't stock them of Diana. What gets me is that there are hundreds of these postcards avaliable on the streets of London. Hoards of tourists wrapped in cellophane crowd round the racks of saccharine images, barring us normal folk access to Westminster Bridge and St Martin-in-the-Field. And these are the same awful stands that sell those ghastly dinner plates with a Queen Mother transfer crudely lasered onto them and t-shirts that read, "I went to London and all I got was this T-Shirt". The people who frequent these stalls are of course, the ones we'd rather hadn't visited London to buy the T-Shirt in the first place. Why demand the Royal Collection stock postcards when they can pick up 5 for a pound at any random caravan flogging the salmonella-on-legs that is a hot-dog or hamburger.

Duchess said:
is this true? i'd always heard that she wasn't. i'd only heard her referred to as the mother of the future king.

Exactly. As the mother of the future king, she was considered a member of the royal family.

sassie said:
Exactly. As the mother of the future king, she was considered a member of the royal family.

However, she was removed from the prayers for the Royal Family, so there's evidence she was not considered part of them, too.

In any event, the most recent photograph that the shops could offer was from 1997, and any admirers have probably seen that photograph many times over.

Obviously, I'm not a Diana basher, but they probably don't sell many postcards of the Queen Mother, George VI, or other deceased members of the family.

And Diana's not forgotten, we still remember her. That's the main point!

iowabelle said:
However, she was removed from the prayers for the Royal Family, so there's evidence she was not considered part of them, too.

In any event, the most recent photograph that the shops could offer was from 1997, and any admirers have probably seen that photograph many times over.

Obviously, I'm not a Diana basher, but they probably don't sell many postcards of the Queen Mother, George VI, or other deceased members of the family.

And Diana's not forgotten, we still remember her. That's the main point!
Exactly it really isn't a big deal if the royal gift shops doesen't sell her postcards anymore. And as BeatrixFan said there are many other gift shops in London that sell The Princess of Wales's postcards.

iowabelle said:
Elizabeth II has given every indication, since the divorce, that she considered Diana a part of her family, before her death and afterwards. Diana is included in everything HM can possibly include her in: websites, etc. The prayers are for the senior members of the RF, not divorced spouses. Mark Phillips and Sarah Ferguson are not included in them, either.

??? Well, yes, any 'recent' photo of Diana would be from 1997. There certainly wouldn't be any taken after that.

They don't sell any postcards of deceased members of the family. That's the whole point. They didn't single Diana out for exclusion.

BeatrixFan said:
A major role? Any moron can pop out a baby or two, it isn't exactly brain surgery.

Well, in this case, I would hope Diana played a major role, because otherwise, Prince Charles gave birth, and the newspapers missed it.

and t-shirts that read, "I went to London and all I got was this T-Shirt".

I hate those t-shirts. It was funny for about half a second with the very first shirt of that ilk, and then it got old.

BeatrixFan said:
A major role? Any moron can pop out a baby or two, it isn't exactly brain surgery.

So true and a statement that sounds like it came from myself as I make statements like yours.:) But the "moron" here in question is the former Princess of Wales who is the mother of the heir and the spare.

However, from what I've since read, there are other reading materials available about Princess Diana. In my opinion, the only reading material that should be available is when she was married to the Prince and with her two sons.

Why demand the Royal Collection stock postcards when hey can pick up 5 for a pound at any random caravan flogging the salmonella-on-legs that is a hot-dog or hamburger.

I guess the next time I'm in London or in the vicinity, I'll have to skip those caravans for the ever so pleasant Tom Aikens.

Last edited:
Diana was still the princess of wales after divorce and when she died HRH Kimetha.

sirhon11234 said:
Diana was still the princess of wales after divorce and when she died HRH Kimetha.

No, after the divorce, she was Diana, Princess of Wales...not THE Princess of Wales.

Rather than have the same discussion of her post-divorce title over and over again, please refer to the Diana's Titles thread, where all is explained.
ps.. Sassie is correct.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom