The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Courtier

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, not all portraits in the NPG collection can be on display at the same time. The collection is just too huge. I highly doubt that there were 41 portraits of Diana on display at the same time.

For example, the NPG cites 147 portraits of HM Queen Elizabeth II. However when you check their site for "portraits on display", you see 1 of her alone and 1 of her with others. Now, surely, no one thinks that 145 portraits of HM are being hidden so as not to offend/upstage anyone.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, not all portraits in the NPG collection can be on display at the same time. The collection is just too huge. I highly doubt that there were 41 portraits of Diana on display at the same time.

For example, the NPG cites 147 portraits of HM Queen Elizabeth II. However when you check their site for "portraits on display", you see 1 of her alone and 1 of her with others. Now, surely, no one thinks that 145 portraits of HM are being hidden so as not to offend/upstage anyone.
I agree but they were apparently taken down for 'restoration' and it seems there is only one now of Diana and her children-and it is just that the timing seems suspect. If the portraits never appear again then I am going to have to believe it was due to consideration for Royal sensibilities. I could be very wrong of course so I will give the NPR the benefit of the doubt.

edited for typos. :/

Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think they only said that one was being restored; that one was the damaged one by Bryan Organ, which might need more frequent restoration since that idiot took a knife to it a while back. The others may have been removed for different reasons, although I don't know how many of them were actually hanging during her lifetime.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think they only said that one was being restored; that one was the damaged one by Bryan Organ, which might need more frequent restoration since that idiot took a knife to it a while back. The others may have been removed for different reasons, although I don't know how many of them were actually hanging during her lifetime.
I hope the NPR answers my email. But if it is true they have been bombarded by emails it may be a while until they get to little insignificant me lol! I suppose I must give them the benefit of the doubt as well.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wait for a answer to my my mail too.:)
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
I agree but they were apparently taken down for 'restoration' and it seems there is only one now of Diana and her children-and it is just that the timing seems suspect. If the portraits never appear again then I am going to have to believe it was due to consideration for Royal sensibilities. I could be very wrong of course so I will give the NPR the benefit of the doubt.

edited for typos. :/
Yes, but my point was about the implication that 41 portraits were "taken down" at the same time. I wonder if all 41 were ever "up" at the same time.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Yes, but my point was about the implication that 41 portraits were "taken down" at the same time. I wonder if all 41 were ever "up" at the same time.
No, I have read that they went 'disappearing' one by one.
[ed]
Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

If the portrait were known to have been taken down, then they didn't just "disappear". A choice of word that made the whole thing more sinister. It's a big deal for so many pieces to go missing, no matter the subject.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
No, I have read that they went 'disappearing' one by one.
[ed]
Over what period of time?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Paranoia is running rampant on this one.

As has been asked previously, were all 41 or whatever portraits of Diana on display at the one time? Were all 147 portraits of the Queen on display at the one time?
A painting comes down for maintenance/cleaning/restoration and immediately there are allegations of dark plots and conspiracies.

Time for a cup of tea? :)
Old 01-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Commoner

Queen's letter reached after 8 yrs!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1363672.cms
Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana's Elvis dress to go on show
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4605548.stm
Old 01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
I had no idea Franklin Mint owned that gorgeous and famous dress!!
How cynical of them to first milk the poor late princess for all she was worth through doll products wearing replicas of the exact dress, and then purchasing the real one! Or..did they purchase the gown <in order to> be able to replicate the dress?!

By the way, this dress is one of the few outfits Diana wore that I really really agree with. She looked so stunning in it, it really did her justice. If only the Emmanuels could have created something equally classy for her wedding outfit..
Old 01-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I had no idea Franklin Mint owned that gorgeous and famous dress!!
How cynical of them to first milk the poor late princess for all she was worth through doll products wearing replicas of the exact dress, and then purchasing the real one! Or..did they purchase the gown <in order to> be able to replicate the dress?!
Well, the dresses were put up for public auction and therefore anyone could buy them. As to the Franklin Mint Diana Dolls, they wouldn't produce them if Diana fans didn't buy them.
So it's not cynical, it's just business.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Well, the dresses were put up for public auction and therefore anyone could buy them. As to the Franklin Mint Diana Dolls, they wouldn't produce them if Diana fans didn't buy them.
So it's not cynical, it's just business.
true, it takes two to tango: as unbelievable as it may seem to me, you are right that it is a fact that masses of people actually bought those dolls.
And yes anyway, business=cynical by its very nature period. (I wonder though how copyright laws apply to this kind of thing, i.e. regarding an individual's right to own the copyright to their own likeness, as in..doesn't Diana's family, or her sons, own some sort of copyright regarding products that depict her and are they thus owed part of Mint's profits theoretically....but that's another topic entirely.)
Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Commoner

what kind of flowers did Diana have in her wedding bouquet?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

You might find your answer in this thread in our royal wedding section:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...81-a-4327.html

If not, feel free to ask there.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

From newscom

1.- Memo to Ex Royal chef CAROLYN ROBB from Princess Diana.

2.- Birthday card from Princess Diana and Prince Harry to Ex Royal chef CAROLYN ROBB

3.- Royal household photograph before the 1991 tour of Brazil. CAROLYN ROBB is 5th left back row (white).

'I taught Harry to cook Spaghetti, made Charles his favourite ice cream in hospital and cooked Camilla Christmas dinners to heat up, so why have they treated me so badly?' The woman who for 16 years catered for Prince Charles's every culinary whim, however eccentric, today reveals the extraordinary feud that has left her estranged from the Royals. Carolyn Robb, who was a key member of the heir to the throne's staff, began working as Charles and Princess Diana's personal chef in 1989 and taught Princes William and Harry how to cook
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zunique040535.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	225456   Click image for larger version

Name:	zunique040536.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	225457   Click image for larger version

Name:	83.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	225460  
Old 01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness

Does anybody think Charles PR machine hurted Diana's memory? The boys never talk about her. The negative tell all books in recent years by his friends. The portraits coming down in the national gallery.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

the boys never talk about her, only one time I see william talk about her mother and his voice was very very low. I think that diana's boys is dificulted talk about her.

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Closed Thread

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana