The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you are members of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service makes the bond between you and the Crown a very special one: one that I believe has real substance.

As The Queen approaches her 90th birthday, it is worth reflecting on the unparalleled role that The Queen has played in foreign relations and with world leaders during 63 years of unbroken service to the nation and Commonwealth. This is the same of duty to the nation and commitment to the wider common good that I see in Her Majesty's diplomats as I travel around the world.

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge has handed out awards to graduates of the Foreign Office’s Diplomatic Academy in central London this morning, saying there is a strong and special bond between the UK’s diplomatic service and the Crown. Accompanied by the Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond MP, Prince William went on to praise Her Majesty’s Diplomatic Service for its hard work in projecting British values around the world.

Home - ITNSource News

A little context on the press' reaction to William's speech. Last year during a state visit to Germany, the Queen said the following

‘In our lives, Mr President, we have seen the worst but also the best of our continent.

‘We must work hard to maintain the benefits of the post-war world, she added. ‘We know that division in Europe is dangerous.’

The following is an example of how the press 'interpreted' her comments

The Queen wades in to EU debate 'Division in Europe is dangerous' | Metro News

Queen wades into Europe debate as she says division is 'dangerous' - Telegraph

Queen Calls For European Unity At German Banquet Attended By David Cameron And Angela Merkel

William didn't even mention Europe or the EU in his speech

The UK press has no scruples. It’s like last year when they portrayed The Queen as a Nazi sympathizer because of that childhood video of her mocking the Nazi salute, while they deliberately underplayed the year(pre-war) the video was taken and the culture in the UK at the time.

Stephen Glass was the laughing stock of American journalists because of his spinning yarns. In the UK, Mr. Glass would have probably been celebrated as he would be amongst his ilk.

I actually buy a paper every day; I subscribed to 2 UK paywalls and frankly I am hissed off.

I want my news to tell me the facts - I don't want my news "interpreted" anywhere but in opinion pieces. I am embarrassed how bad UK news media has become.

Just awful. It is painful for me.

I actually buy a paper every day; I subscribed to 2 UK paywalls and frankly I am hissed off.

I want my news to tell me the facts - I don't want my news "interpreted" anywhere but in opinion pieces. I am embarrassed how bad UK news media has become.

Just awful. It is painful for me.

Welcome to my world.

LaRae

I don’t know what’s more disgusting. The paparazzi using a funeral as a money making opportunity, or certain news sources greedily buying the pictures. I think I loathe both, equally. I will not be clicking on links that endorse this shoddy behavior.

Britain's Prince William is to raise awareness of male suicide.

The 33-year-old royal will reportedly join his wife, the Duchess of Cambridge, and his brother, Prince Harry, as they all fight to bring mental health issues into the forefront.

The Prince - who has two-year-old Prince George and nine-month-old Princess Charlotte with Duchess Catherine - has seen firsthand how these issues can affect people through his work with the charity Centrepoint, PEOPLE magazine reports.

Meanwhile, the 34-year-old royal previously spoke up about how mental health can affect children.

She said: "Every child deserves to grow up feeling confident that they won't fall at the first hurdle, that they cope with life's setbacks. This resilience - our ability to deal with stressful situations - is something we begin to learn in childhood, as we respond to each challenge and problem life presents.

"Many of us are incredibly fortunate that the issues we face in childhood are ones we can cope with and learn from. But for some children, learning to cope with life's challenges can be a struggle. While we cannot always change a child's circumstances, we can give them the tools to cope, and to thrive. With early support they can learn to manage their emotions and feelings and know when to seek help."
Read moreBritain's Prince William to Raise Awareness of Male Suicide

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 3m3 minutes ago
Prince William will present the traditional sprigs of shamrock to the Officers and Guardsmen of 1st Battalion Irish Guards on 17 March.
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/708250211567673344

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 1m1 minute ago
The Duke of Cambridge is Colonel of the Regiment and will be attending the St. Patrick's Day Parade at Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow.
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/708250524647292928

No Catherine this year.

Maybe she will be added later. Strange, she even attended while she was heavily pregnant.

Manchester United great Denis Law has described being awarded a CBE at Buckingham Palace as "fantastic".

The 76-year-old, who was given the honour for his services to football and charity, was honoured alongside actor Idris Elba and Blur frontman Damon Albarn.

Aberdeen-born Law, who scored 237 goals during his time at United and rounded off his career by representing Scotland at the 1974 World Cup in West Germany, said the royal recognition was unexpected.

Speaking after the ceremony he said: "I just think this is the type of honour that goes to other people. You do not expect to get something like this. It's fantastic."
Read more: Manchester United great*Denis Law*exchanges football banter with Prince William as he collects CBE (From )

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke praises teachers for their dedication in video congratulating finalists of @TeacherPrize #teachersmatter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78MWJ4vjnnw&feature=youtu.be

The Duke: A good teacher holds the power to influence, inspire and shape a young person's life for the better #TeachersMatter #teacherprize

"To teachers everywhere, thank you for your incredible work"- The Duke of Cambridge sends a message to @TeacherPrize #TeachersMatter

Find out more about The Global Teacher Prize here: #TeachersMatter

The Global Teacher Prize Ceremony Highlights

Harry Yorke ‏@HarryYorke1 1h1 hour ago Prince William in good spirits as he passes out the shamrock, wishes officers a good St Patrick's Day
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdvwQdmW4AAIckJ.jpg

Harry Yorke ‏@HarryYorke1 18m18 minutes ago Prince William sat for group photographs with the regiment's sergeants and officers
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cdv99StWEAIvN5Q.jpg

Harry Yorke ‏@HarryYorke1 1h1 hour ago Domnhall the wolfhound gets his Royal pat and shamrock
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cdvx9e8WAAAet1A.jpg

Last edited:
Court Circular 16 March 2016

The Duke of Cambridge received Ms Jane Powell (Chief Executive Officer, Campaign Against Living Miserably)

The Duke of Cambridge this afternoon received Mr Brent Hoberman (businessman)

Last edited:
What a crock of an article! Can't anyone at Mail Google? William isn't the first Royal male to pass out shamrocks. His Great Grandfather did it. Edward did it. Kate was never announced as doing it this year so she didn't pull out.

Hard hitting journalists quoting people on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge visited the1st Battalion Irish Guards Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow. The Prince met cadets and veterans alike, at the ceremony marking St. Patrick's Day. All stood to attention to be decorated with the three leaved Irish clover, including Domhnall the Irish wolfhound, the regiment's beloved mascot.

Home - ITNSource News

Hi, I'm new to the Royal Forums.

I really liked all of the photos/footage tweeted by Harry York@HarryYorke1 from Prince William's engagement today.

In case anyone should want to know more about the Irish Guards and their connection to the BRF, I think this book could be interesting.

Up the micks!: An Illustrated History of the Irish Guards [Hardcover] –
by James Wilson (Author)

Among other things, I quite like the foreword by the Duke of Cambridge.

From the amazon website:

"The unique history of The Micks – the Irish Guards – is chronicled in over 1000 images, starting with their formation in 1900 and taking the reader through to the
recent war in Afghanistan. It is the story of a remarkable family regiment that continues to enhance the values, standards and reputation of the British infantry in
an ever-changing world.

The two world wars are covered in detail with dramatic pictures. The First World War – the brick stacks at Cuinchy under fire, where O’Leary won his VC – and the Second World War – the inferno of the transport ship Chobry off the coast of Norway and the first ever German King Tiger tank seen in action brought to a halt by
the Irish Guards without firing a shot. More recently, the Micks were involved in internal security duties in Palestine, Cyprus, Malaya, Aden, Northern Ireland and the Balkans. They led the way into Iraq in the Second Gulf War and shed blood in Afghanistan.

The book shows the development of regimental soldiering from the rigidity of the Victorian era, through the horrors of the trenches to armored warfare in Europe and light infantry soldiering worldwide – all the time upholding the finest traditions of the Foot Guards. In an army that prides itself on the strength of the regimental
system, the Irish Guards have created a distinctive and enduring ethos of their own.

This is not just a cold regimental history but has been compiled to show the Micks’ ability to find humor even in the most adverse conditions while demonstrating excellence at both operational and ceremonial soldiering. It also contains, in an extensive set of appendices, a remarkable record of facts about the regiment –
the people, places and events in the history of the Irish Guards – which will serve as an invaluable source of information for future generations."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom