The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I think William in particular ended up parenting Diana in a sense. I think he realised that his mother needed him and relied on him in a way that other mothers don't. He and Harry obviously felt very protective of her, and felt that she was hounded by the press in a way that was utterly wrong.

But ultimately, Diana was taken from them when they were very young. It's natural that they idolise her in a sense and try to remember only the good things. All parents are imperfect, but their kids still adore them. And as much as Diana loved her boys to distraction, it didn't stop her from hurting them very deeply.
It's also not like William or Harry would ever say anything negative about their mother in public. If their parents' misadventures with the press in the 90s taught them nothing else I imagine it taught them that any negativity or ambivalent feelings regarding family relationships should be kept private.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Majesty

I took a good, long look at Diana's "Panorama" picture in the article. Most women put an up-flick on with their eyeliner to "lift" their eyes. Diana's eyeliner actually goes down below the outside corner of her eye. She was trying to make herself look sadder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the Panorama interview was a catastrophically stupid idea that not only damaged Charles, but also the institution of the monarchy and her own children.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Courtier

For those of you too young to actually remember all these years, it was quite obvious from the beginning that Charles and Diana were a mismatch. The depth of the trouble was not spelled out, but the body language told all.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It's also not like William or Harry would ever say anything negative about their mother in public. If their parents' misadventures with the press in the 90s taught them nothing else I imagine it taught them that any negativity or ambivalent feelings regarding family relationships should be kept private.
Absolutely agree, camelot. William in particular is extremely private, maybe even too much so. I imagine seeing all your parents' dirty laundry all over the papers and TV makes you pretty determined not to follow their lead. Great point.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't find anything in the article very surprising or terribly unbelievable.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

You know, as I've thought about it, I have to agree with you, NGalitzine. There's not really anything there that hadn't at least been hinted at before. Not really surprising either, as you say.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember reading that Diana supposedly had a long talk with William about her interview either before or after it. This article states that she essentially had to be forced to talk to him and it wasn't actually a loving bonding moment between mother and son. I do admit that bit of the school aid having to beg Diana to come down seems sketchy to me.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I remember reading that Diana supposedly had a long talk with William about her interview either before or after it. This article states that she essentially had to be forced to talk to him and it wasn't actually a loving bonding moment between mother and son. I do admit that bit of the school aid having to beg Diana to come down seems sketchy to me.
I'm not sure if the Headmaster is still alive, but it would be interesting if he responds. I think that it would be natural not to want to talk about it, but if she lied to him (possibly in a misguided attempt to protect him) then that would be wrong.

We'll never know until perhaps Charles authorises a biography later in his life. I say that because he's already admitted he was in a relationship with Camilla before the divorce; I think he personally isn't into having to justify it again (he's married and his boys are accepting of it); he wouldn't want to hurt Camilla, and I also think that he views it as past news. Perhaps we should all do the same.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Prince Harry may have joked about entering William and Kate into the London Marathon, but his brother has serious hopes of running an African marathon. William, 29, wants to enter the Safaricom Marathon in Kenya’s Lewa Downs – the wildlife resort which is owned by Jecca Craig’s family and is where he proposed to Kate. An aide says he will not enter ‘this year’, but added: ‘It is something he would like to to do in the future.’
Is it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...elsy-Davy.html
Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I thought Junor got that from William's Master at Eton?

For me it doesn't really matter how long Diana spent explaining that interview, it was a very cruel thing to do to her boys. In a divorce parents should never, ever criticise their ex if their children can hear it. Diana chose to eviscerate Charles in front of 20 million people. I can only imagine how hard it was for William and Harry to be at school the morning after the interview was shown. No doubt they will have received some abuse as a result of Diana's actions.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent

RAF tells William he has to make a decision
RAF tells Prince he has to choose between flying and Royal duties | Mail Online
Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Majesty

A typical tour for an RAF pilot is 30 to 36 months. If William does go into full-time royal duties after that, it's his decision because his time will have been served. It's reasonable to think that the decision will have been made by December 2012, but I think it's a stretch () for the writer to suggest that William has somehow been forced into making a decision because he's been putting too much time into royal duties. That's certainly what the headline implies.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Isnt the SAR due to be privatised by the end of 2013?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Due to be but not official, the most "preferred" bidder dropped out last year.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

DM repeating information that we already knew (and they had already reported).

I think a lot depends on the health of the Duke of Edinburgh and the support the Queen feels she needs. If he signs up then its for another 3 years from 2013 - which (all being well) will have the Queen at 90; Prince Philip 94 and Prince Charles at c. 68 by 2016. That's seems to be too long to me.

There is an alternative in returning to his regiment and taking on more administrative roles which could stand him in good stead for the future but there may still be an issue about the split between military service vs royal duties.

My opinion is that he should commit to being a full-time royal and help Prince Charles bring about the necessary changes to ensure the continuation of a monarchy in the UK.

It also gives the public clarity to his and Catherine's role.
But I empathise with Prince William - to have to put one's own wishes aside for, in many ways, an undeserving public, is very difficult.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Courtier

William won't be the first royal who has had to negotiate the change from the military to full time royal service. The question as to when and how quickly the change will occur may still be up in the air and I agree with cepe in that it probably very much depends on how things go with The Queen and the DoE over the next couple of years. Unfortunately, trying to make plans based on the future health of people in their 80s and 90s is a dicey endeavour.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Heir Apparent

So here's part 2 of the excerpts from the new book
How William met 'the Rottweiler'... and she came out saying: 'I need a drink' | Mail Online
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Royal Highness

Nice article , Thank’s For Posting ghost_night552
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Personally I find the article's headline quite offensive. I understand it points Charles and Camilla in positive light, while making veiled attacks on Diana. And I suspect some, if not most, of it is probably true. But really - Diana has been dead for 15 years now: let her rest in peace!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Personally I find the article's headline quite offensive. I understand it points Charles and Camilla in positive light, while making veiled attacks on Diana. And I suspect some, if not most, of it is probably true. But really - Diana has been dead for 15 years now: let her rest in peace!
The more I read these excerpts it sound as though this biography for Williams 30th birthday is a move by the POW office to cast Camilla in a positive light and an opportunity to provide spin on old stories. I won't be buying this book ... I didn't like witnessing the train wreck in real time, so no need to read the damage control 15 yrs later.

Closed Thread