The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Such a tragedy. I am sad for William and RAF.
My condolences as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Yes Prince William has been reckless.The Prince got a very fast and expensive motorcycle. William tries to lose is body guards by going very fast to get away from them.

What I got out of the article was that William love the thrill of the speed.

MARG think about what he does for a living. He love the excitement of rescuing people in very tough conditions.
Like almost every military person doing a job that commands total concentration and dedication, William loves his job and gets satisfaction from doing it well. I am sorry but I do not find this "reckless" and certainly not "irresponsible"! He is well trained and certainly well able to do such a job.

Having said this, he might get run over crossing the road when coming out of the supermarket because in the end, none of us are promised tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no idea where to put this but can someone also post this in Harry's CE thread? Thank you
PRINCE CHARLES: MY BOYS ARE ALWAYS PULLING MY LEG

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Charles: My boys are always pulling my leg
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It would perhaps be best suited in the British Royal Family thread.
But my, what a wonderful article - and coming from Express no less!
Prince Charles sounds like a wonderful man and a very proud father.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I have no idea where to put this but can someone also post this in Harry's CE thread? Thank you
PRINCE CHARLES: MY BOYS ARE ALWAYS PULLING MY LEG

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Charles: My boys are always pulling my leg
There was a similar article from 'The Telegraph', and I posted it in the Prince's 'Current Events' thread. This was a very enjoyable read. The interview will be very interesting, if it's anything like the little snippets we got from this article. I can only imagine the banter between Charles and his sons . Would love to be a fly on the wall for one of those conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

It would perhaps be best suited in the British Royal Family thread.
But my, what a wonderful article - and coming from Express no less!
Prince Charles sounds like a wonderful man and a very proud father.
I completely agree with your sentiments regarding Prince Charles. He's very proud of his sons, and loves them to pieces. It's great that they can enjoy a good rapport, even when 'the boys' are all grown up, and starting their own families.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Wounded by his warring parents: How Prince William overcame the trauma of witnessing his parent's disintegrating marriage | Mail Online

Sorry I was confused whether to put this here or in the books section.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Just read this article and shared it on my facebook page. I'm beginning to think that the mud-slinging won't stop until the cows come (or people lose interest). I wish there was some consideration for William and Harry when putting things like this in the press.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Wow! That was eye opening. I knew Diana had mental health issues, but did not realize how bad they were or that people close to her knew before she married Charles.

If William really did learn from watching what his parents went through, and recognized that he needed/wanted a woman who was not like his mother, kudos to him. My fiancé chose his aunt and uncle to be role models instead of turning to his own parents, which would seem natural. His aunt and uncle have a healthy happy marriage.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for posting that ghost_night. That article was really long and despite reading various books on William, Charles, and Diana I did get a new perspective from this article. Unfortunately I feel it was too anti-Diana; she definitely wasnt a saint like her friends try to portray her as, but I just feel the article was too skewed against her.
Daria u do bring up some good points, despite William being 30 and Harry being in his late 20's this is still their mother and hearing either parent be dragged through the mud must really hurt.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Thanks for posting that ghost_night. That article was really long and despite reading various books on William, Charles, and Diana I did get a new perspective from this article. Unfortunately I feel it was too anti-Diana; she definitely wasnt a saint like her friends try to portray her as, but I just feel the article was too skewed against her.
Daria u do bring up some good points, despite William being 30 and Harry being in his late 20's this is still their mother and hearing either parent be dragged through the mud must really hurt.
I think this is something those who are in the press completely forget, or ignore, because their goal is to make a buck. I too felt that the article was indeed too harsh on Diana. She was by no means a saint, but I for one cannot see her smacking her children. I feel that the issues that developed during the marriage and had a profound effect on William and Harry are a lot deeper than any article or book could describe. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but just saying that we will never know the full extent of what went on behind closed doors. I will say that both boys loved both of their parents. Their grief for their mother was evident when they appeared in public days before the funeral, and during the funeral procession. It's one thing I'll never be able to forget. This kind of grief stems from very deep love, and cannot be orchestrated. They also loved their father, and that can be seen through their interactions as well as pictures. I think it's tragic that any child should have to be a witness to such an atmosphere at home, and watch two people that are supposed to be examples of stability basically crumble to pieces.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
She was by no means a saint, but I for one cannot see her smacking her children.
This was the only time I member her smacking William. It's also been brought up in a couple of books I've read
Diana, William, and Harry Also another incident that happened in the gardens of BP apparently has been discussed in some books.

But ya it's terrible to hear both your parents names dragged in the mud like that especially when one is not here to defend herself in any way. Also we have to remember this is by Penny Junor who famously wrote the very anti-Diana book back in 98 "Charles: Victim or Villain?' I believe the palace even dismissed some of the claims in that book. Sadly though I fear this will never stop especially since Diana and the marriage will probably a very popular topic for years to come.

Ugh I find this article awful. If William gets joy in flying a helicopter then let him plus he's doing his duty, for gods sake Charles isn't even King yet there's still time and plus William is helping alot of people out there.

Carlos Tevez and Prince William: drop the self-pity and do your duty | Tanya Gold | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well from what I've read William was a kid who definitely needed some discipline, and I grew up getting spankings so Diana smacking William isnt some huge controversy for me.
As for the other article, wth is the rush?! His father was forced to sprint on his duties to prepare to be king and here he is in his 60s still waiting.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Exactly plus what William is doing now like I mentioned is helping alot of people out there. So in a sense he is serving his country/his people.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is the article by Penny Junor not only part 1 of several excerpts? The reason I feel that this article might be seen as harsh on Diana is that it was primarily dealing with William and Diana. I think articles to come will focus more on the Charles/Camilla side of things.

But, ultimately, given that Diana is generally perceived as the 'good parent' to Charles's 'bad parent', this article is inevitable as those with more knowledge of both sides of the issue try to set the record straight. There have been innumerable articles and books (written with Diana's assistance) bashing Charles down the years and his reputation and public standing have never recovered. I can't feel too sorry that Diana's getting a bit of her own medicine. I think one thing we can all agree on is that the Panorama interview was a catastrophically stupid idea that not only damaged Charles, but also the institution of the monarchy and her own children. Agreeing to it and saying what she said was unutterably cruel and selfish. She obviously didn't care if she damaged her children.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

Isn't Penny Junor one of the "Highgrove"-Set of Charles and Camilla? I recall reading her biography on Charles some twenty years ago and she seemed to be totally in love with Charles back then. Not in an eriotic way, but she seemed to adore him absolutely. That was pre-Diana's Morton-book but she already was critically of her.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

For two young men that appear to be so totally committed and in love with their mom it makes no sense to assume all the allegations about her very questionable behaviour to be true. Most people have love and respect for our parents but Williams's and Harry's love and devotion to their mom is much beyond that. She was most likely a much more loving and caring mother than how she is presented here.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think William in particular ended up parenting Diana in a sense. I think he realised that his mother needed him and relied on him in a way that other mothers don't. He and Harry obviously felt very protective of her, and felt that she was hounded by the press in a way that was utterly wrong.

But ultimately, Diana was taken from them when they were very young. It's natural that they idolise her in a sense and try to remember only the good things. All parents are imperfect, but their kids still adore them. And as much as Diana loved her boys to distraction, it didn't stop her from hurting them very deeply.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, the tone of the article isn't surprising since it was written by Penny Junor

I'm 22 and I find it astounding how some feel the need to put down one person to boost up the other. I think its been well established that both Diana and Charles love their children immensely and sadly deeply hurt them during the divorce. IMO both share equal blame. It appears that Will & Harry have forgiven them and moved on with their lives.

The question I have is why was this article even published? This isn't news and hasn't been for over 16 years. William appears happy with his new wife and someone feels the need to drudge up a painful period from his childhood...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Book promotion - so its to make £ for the Mail and Penny Junor. And this site now has a thread dedicated to said book!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's been written because our future King is about to hit a landmark birthday - his 30th. It's entirely natural to profile public figures when they reach important milestones. It's interesting for me, as one of his future subjects, to know a bit more about what sort of person he is and part of that will entail the people and experiences that led him to become that person.

There are lots of books out at the moment about the Queen as she's hit the milestone of 60 years on the throne. Like Penny Junor's book, those books have looked back at those things which have shaped HM, and made her the monarch she is.

I take all books on the royals with a grain of salt, as everyone has different opinions. But I feel this book will be very interesting and a worthwhile study of Prince William.

Closed Thread