The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Yes, that's what I mean. I am one of very few who think William is only mildly attractive; he's not my cup of tea. Willem-Alexander is my kind o' guy.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, that's what I mean. I am one of very few who think William is only mildly attractive; he's not my cup of tea. Willem-Alexander is my kind o' guy.

Is that the Dutch Crown Prince ? He's a little bit stocky ? IMO, the Danish Crown Prince is so cute. Lucky Mary, I say ! :flowers:

Yes, the Prince of Orange. I like a bit of heft in men.

I can't get over how much Princess Anne looks like HM in that photo of the younger Queen with her two grandsons. And I think William is nice looking but not extremely handsome; Haakon of Norway wins hands down! I've got this date circled on my calendar for the special, and thanks for posting the story, Ghost.

I was really lucky that my granny lived across the street, literally, from my primary school. So while all my school friends were eating the awful school dinners (ugh semolina), I was allowed to pop across the street to my granny's for a brilliant home cooked meal. After school I would also head over for a cup of tea and a slice of Victoria sponge.

So William and I have that in common, although I think his granny's house probably beats my granny's house by a pretty long way.

:previous: Yes, he is handsome, in a chipmunky kind of way. LOL

:ROFLMAO: I love your sense of humor, even if I find Wills quite good looking (in a very nerdy/professor kind of way, which is what I'm attracted to :D).

Is that the Dutch Crown Prince ? He's a little bit stocky ? IMO, the Danish Crown Prince is so cute. Lucky Mary, I say ! :flowers:

Oh, Frederik is definitely handsome. He looks better in person than in pictures :D. He looks very sophisticated and distinguished.

I was really lucky that my granny lived across the street, literally, from my primary school. So while all my school friends were eating the awful school dinners (ugh semolina), I was allowed to pop across the street to my granny's for a brilliant home cooked meal. After school I would also head over for a cup of tea and a slice of Victoria sponge.

So William and I have that in common, although I think his granny's house probably beats my granny's house by a pretty long way.

You have some lovely memories with your Granny (just like Her Majesty's grandkids). I remember enjoying tea with my gran too. She was an excellent baker.

:ROFLMAO: I love your sense of humor, even if I find Wills quite good looking (in a very nerdy/professor kind of way, which is what I'm attracted to :D).

Oh, Frederik is definitely handsome. He looks better in person than in pictures :D. He looks very sophisticated and distinguished.
QUOTE]

Yes, Prince William looks more proper and his brother, more casual. I think Harry may be more fun to go out with but if one is to have a relationship, maybe, it's better with William ? LOL

But noone can beat Frederick. He is so cute and he comes across as such a lovely, kind and gentle person !

It also wouldn't surprise me if the US networks and their interviewers are a bit more respectful and pliable than the British press. The networks see the interviews as a real special occasion, whereas over here it's about how much you can get out of them or if they slip up and say something that's not PC or whatever. I could be talking out of my rear end with this though.

I think you're right about how the U.S. press treats the British royals. This goes back to a prior discussion on a thread that Americans are fascinated by royalty, especially the British, since we would have been ruled by them if we hadn't rebelled back in the day! So whenever they come to visit or are interviewed by the American press, there will be that aura of deference and fascination that perhaps the British press doesn't have. Although we're glad we don't have a monarchy, we can't help being drawn to it!:lol:

Last edited:
I think Haakon with that beard is to die for. I believe Frederik had a beard for awhile to.

I think Haakon with that beard is to die for. I believe Frederik had a beard for awhile to.

That's the Norwegian Crown Prince. Yes ? He is handsome, too, like the Felipe of Spain. There are so many handsome princes in Europe !

Any single one available now ? :lol:

So, what is Prince William's current activity ?

mariaantoniapia said:
So, what is Prince William's current activity ?

He's at work in Wales. We'll be seeing him and Catherine next weekend to take part in the Jubilee celebrations.

I tear up at the love and respect that the Queen and Prince William show in this picture. It was a taken a few years ago and I had forgotten how close they are. He looks so proud...so tall. An amazing picture of love and pride.

The Thistle is the Scottish equivilent of the Garter. They are the 2 most senior orders of knghthood in the UK and are in the personal gift of the monarch.

Wow, what a nice gift. Now what is the reason for giving this to William? Is it just because or is it for something he did? Just trying to understand. :)

So, am I right in saying that William has been given the Thistle before either Andrew or Edward? HM is making some interesting decisions at the moment.

So, am I right in saying that William has been given the Thistle before either Andrew or Edward? HM is making some interesting decisions at the moment.
Absoluely correct. Currently, only the following members of the Royal Family are (extra) Knights and Ladies:
- Prince Philip (since 1952)
- Prince Charles (since 1977)
- Princess Anne (since 2000)
- Prince William (since 25 May 2012)

Unlike the Garter, this honour appears to be given to very few members of the Royal Family. Prince Philip and Prince Charles were created Knights of the Order for obvious reasons - as the prince consort and Duke of Rothesay respectively. Prince William is most likely honoured acknowledging his status as the Heir to the Throne and future Duke of Rothesay. However, I cannot understand the logic behind creating Princess Anne a Lady of the Order of Thistle, without extending the same honour to Prince Andrew and/or Prince Edward.

Splendid news for William; as I see it, it's a clear signal that Her Majesty has utmost trust in her grandson.

Last edited:
I think it's also a signal that William will become an increasingly more active part of the 'Firm'. I think the days of squirrelling away in Anglesey are numbered.

Anne has an affinity with Scotland. She always supports the Scotland rugby team, even when they're playing England. She's patron of Scotland Rugby, the game's governing body in Scotland. Peter played for the Scotland Under 18 rugby team when he was at school at Gordonstoun. Zara also chose to get married in Edinburgh.

I think Scottish people find Anne a down to earth, unfussy sort of person, which is what Scots like to think they're like too.

O.k., so now I understand that this gift to William from the Queen is another stepping stone in his position as a senior member of the family.

Congratulations to the Duke of Cambridge! :scotflag: :thistle:

I would not be surprised if Her Majesty made this appointment in consideration of William's ties to Scotland, particularly St. Andrews. Or maybe she really liked how his interview with Katie Couric turned out. ;)

I would not be surprised if Her Majesty made this appointment in consideration of William's ties to Scotland, particularly St. Andrews. Or maybe she really liked how his interview with Katie Couric turned out. ;)
So what did Harry say wrong during the interview to be snubbed? :whistling: :D

So what did Harry say wrong during the interview to be snubbed? :whistling: :D

Nothing! But Harry other than William and Catherine has not shown a special relationship to Scotland. So while it is fitting that the Heir to the Duke of Rothesay and Scion of the Stuarts should become a Knight of the Thisle, there is in addition the fact/hope that this honour means more than just an obligatory honour to William.

Nothing! But Harry other than William and Catherine has not shown a special relationship to Scotland. So while it is fitting that the Heir to the Duke of Rothesay and Scion of the Stuarts should become a Knight of the Thisle, there is in addition the fact/hope that this honour means more than just an obligatory honour to William.
Oh, I was just joking. :)
I agree with the symbolism; it's fitting that Scotland's highest honour should be given to the future Duke of Rothesay.

What great news! I think this is a definite sign that William, in the eyes of the Queen is doing a fabulous job when it comes to his royal duties (as well as serving his country as a SAR pilot). I agree with EIIR, that this is also a sign that in the very near future, William (along with is wife) will be taking a more prominent role as the member of the Royal Family and taking on more duties and engagements.

What great news! I think this is a definite sign that William, in the eyes of the Queen is doing a fabulous job when it comes to his royal duties (as well as serving his country as a SAR pilot). I agree with EIIR, that this is also a sign that in the very near future, William (along with is wife) will be taking a more prominent role as the member of the Royal Family and taking on more duties and engagements.

I've been having strong feelings that after the heart problems of the DoE last winter, both the Queen and the DoE have perhaps reached the decision that once the milestone of the Diamond Jubilee has been passed, it is time to slow the pace down a bit and gradually put more and more focus on their main support system in Charles and Camilla and the Wales grandchildren and spouses.

As we have heard, the balcony appearance this upcoming weekend will include only the above mentioned, perhaps HM's honoring William with the Order of the Thistle is another nuance to gradually usher in the era of a downsized royal family in the UK. As Charles gradually takes on more and more of duties he will be required to do as King, William also will be gradually stepping into roles as his father's heir. I guess you could say in a way it'll be a gradual ascension over time.

In this way also, with HM and the DoE taking it easier, the better chances I think we'll have of seeing a Platinum Jubilee in 10 years time too.

Congratulations to the newest Knight of the Order of the Thistle, another indication of the trust and confidence that HM has in her grandson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom