The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: A typical tour for an RAF pilot is 30 to 36 months. If William does go into full-time royal duties after that, it's his decision because his time will have been served. It's reasonable to think that the decision will have been made by December 2012, but I think it's a stretch :)whistling:) for the writer to suggest that William has somehow been forced into making a decision because he's been putting too much time into royal duties. That's certainly what the headline implies.:ermm:

Isnt the SAR due to be privatised by the end of 2013?

Due to be but not official, the most "preferred" bidder dropped out last year.

Last edited:
DM repeating information that we already knew (and they had already reported).

I think a lot depends on the health of the Duke of Edinburgh and the support the Queen feels she needs. If he signs up then its for another 3 years from 2013 - which (all being well) will have the Queen at 90; Prince Philip 94 and Prince Charles at c. 68 by 2016. That's seems to be too long to me.

There is an alternative in returning to his regiment and taking on more administrative roles which could stand him in good stead for the future but there may still be an issue about the split between military service vs royal duties.

My opinion is that he should commit to being a full-time royal and help Prince Charles bring about the necessary changes to ensure the continuation of a monarchy in the UK.

It also gives the public clarity to his and Catherine's role.
But I empathise with Prince William - to have to put one's own wishes aside for, in many ways, an undeserving public, is very difficult.

William won't be the first royal who has had to negotiate the change from the military to full time royal service. The question as to when and how quickly the change will occur may still be up in the air and I agree with cepe in that it probably very much depends on how things go with The Queen and the DoE over the next couple of years. Unfortunately, trying to make plans based on the future health of people in their 80s and 90s is a dicey endeavour.

Personally I find the article's headline quite offensive. I understand it points Charles and Camilla in positive light, while making veiled attacks on Diana. And I suspect some, if not most, of it is probably true. But really - Diana has been dead for 15 years now: let her rest in peace!

Artemisia said:
Personally I find the article's headline quite offensive. I understand it points Charles and Camilla in positive light, while making veiled attacks on Diana. And I suspect some, if not most, of it is probably true. But really - Diana has been dead for 15 years now: let her rest in peace!

The more I read these excerpts it sound as though this biography for Williams 30th birthday is a move by the POW office to cast Camilla in a positive light and an opportunity to provide spin on old stories. I won't be buying this book ... I didn't like witnessing the train wreck in real time, so no need to read the damage control 15 yrs later.

Again, nothing new or surprising in todays exerpts. It would, I think, be impossible to write a bio of Prince William without going into the impact of his parents marital breakdown and his mothers death had on him.

The article reeks of cheap political campaigning. I thought this phase was completed after Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, was re-branded.

To me, that article wasn't particularly either pro-Camilla or anti-Diana. If Junor had wanted to be pro-Camilla surely she would be playing up William and Harry's relationship with Camilla, but she doesn't - she admitted that the relationship was difficult for several years.

It also wasn't particularly pro-Charles. One comes away from it with a feeling that the boys spent most of their time with their nannies, as Charles and Diana were wrapped up in their own lives. She admits that Charles can be difficult and prone to bouts of self-pity. If, as some here are suggesting, this is all a grand conspiracy on the part of Clarence House to make Charles look better they should be asking for their money back.

This article was slightly better than the last. It doesn't seem as biased because it doesnt paint a picture of William and Camilla becoming BFFs after their first meeting. It also gave me the impression that the 2005 wedding went ahead despite William and Harry's hesitations, and they just decided to put their father first. Its a little sad that the children would have to do that in such a situation. These articles make me think that the drugs and Nazi uniform weren't even the peak of the iceberg that could have gone wrong with these kids. I'd be in a mental institution if I had to go through that kind of crap with my parents.

Are these new?
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Prince Harry of Wales and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge attend a polo even in Carworth Park Berkshire, England

British Royals ‏ @britishroyals RT @HWalesWatch: Prince Harry and Prince William will be playing in the Audi Polo cup at Coworth Park again tomorrow.
Bigger pics
Princes William and Harry enjoy the glorious weather by horsing around at a star-studded charity polo match | Mail Online

Princes take part in charity polo match - Telegraph

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I think ABC are showing a lot of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

William and Harry probably give more interviews to the American press than the British. Not complaining, just something I've noticed.

Heads up the Duke of Cambridge will give a rare interview along with his brother Prince Harry on May 29th

Preview here
Katie Couric Interviews the British Royal Family | Video - ABC News

Thank you for the heads-up. I'll keep my eye out for a link to watch it over the Internet when the time comes.

Looks interesting. I think ABC are showing a lot of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

William and Harry probably give more interviews to the American press than the British. Not complaining, just something I've noticed.

It does indeed look very interesting and yes, I also noticed that they are more willing to talk to the US press. Wonder why that is (and there's no sarcasm there, I'm just genuinely curious).

I wonder if perhaps they're trying to increase their fundraising activities in the US, for their Foundation? They have played polo and attended fundraising dinners with wealthy Americans on their visits there.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the US networks and their interviewers are a bit more respectful and pliable than the British press. The networks see the interviews as a real special occasion, whereas over here it's about how much you can get out of them or if they slip up and say something that's not PC or whatever. I could be talking out of my rear end with this though.

I wonder if perhaps they're trying to increase their fundraising activities in the US, for their Foundation? They have played polo and attended fundraising dinners with wealthy Americans on their visits there.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the US networks and their interviewers are a bit more respectful and pliable than the British press. The networks see the interviews as a real special occasion, whereas over here it's about how much you can get out of them or if they slip up and say something that's not PC or whatever. I could be talking out of my rear end with this though.

It would not be unheard for ABC to agree to allow William and Harry to set parameters on what questions will be asked, or even go so far as to agree in writing that William and Harry could not only see the final cut, but sign off on it, before the interview was distributed. Can't really see the British press doing that.

It would not be unheard for ABC to agree to allow William and Harry to set parameters on what questions will be asked, or even go so far as to agree in writing that William and Harry could not only see the final cut, but sign off on it, before the interview was distributed. Can't really see the British press doing that.

Very valid and interesting points. I think that having some control over how this interview may turn out will make the Princes feel more relaxed and at ease during the process.

Nice article.:flowers: BTW am I the only person who thinks that William's head looks odd in the first photo. It looks like it's been photoshopped on. :)

:previous: Yes, he is handsome, in a chipmunky kind of way. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom