The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4m
The Duke of Cambridge will visit The Royal Marsden, Chelsea, London, on November 7.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
Prince William will watch two operations during that visit to the Royal Marsden: a breast reconstruction and removal of a bladder tumour
I do hope both these patients choose to remain anonymous. I can just see if one speaks to the DM; "The Prince was entranced with my new breasts"

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry - what is the point of William seeing live operations? Apart from giving the press the opportunity to mention his mother (which I dont think is the case)?

I've never SEEN an operation but I know the work, dedication and stress it causes for the surgical team. As a patient I've known the stress it caused me. Just don't see the point.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sorry - what is the point of William seeing live operations? Apart from giving the press the opportunity to mention his mother (which I dont think is the case)?

I've never SEEN an operation but I know the work, dedication and stress it causes for the surgical team. As a patient I've known the stress it caused me. Just don't see the point.
TBH, I don't see the point either. William isn't likely to have much of a clue as to what is going on during the operation and I'd be really surprised if he is allowed inside the OR itself. If it was me, I'd kind of shy away from having a procedure done knowing it was going to be a royal spectacle. I'd prefer to have a staff of doctors and nurses that had my procedure as the #1 priority while it was going on.

I know William means well but a breast reconstruction surgery? As you said... what's the point.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:

I agree - seems rather odd. A big ick factor. Surgery is serious business. Can you image if anything goes wrong during the surgery? Even if it has nothing to with his being present, many people will believe his presence was distracting.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Oh here we go again. Can't William do ANYTHING right.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm guessing he'll be in the operating room or in the gallery overlooking the operations.
William will be in the OR with the nurses and doctors. He will likely see the surgery on television monitors, or from a safe distance but still able to view - his height will definitely come in handy here. Modern hospitals no longer have galleries and I would be very surprised if any OR in the western world has a gallery.

I work with surgeons and have been in the OR, as an observer not a patient, in a number of facilities and can speak to this with a certain amount of authority (for anyone who wants me to cite my sources ).
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Being able to see what is done in the OR is quite exciting and extremely impressive. Your perspective is vastly different than even an observer. I think it's great he will get the opportunity to observe a surgical procedure, it's to bad not everyone else can.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Oh here we go again. Can't William do ANYTHING right.
Whooaaaa! Of course he can, all I want to know is why he is doing this? I cant see what the purpose is. I like that engagements have a purpose. Ususally if a royal wants to know how something works/happens it is a private visit, so this (to me) begs the question why?

I really think that William is trying v hard to overcome the almost claustophobic life of a royal - he has another 50 years of this? I think he is ok and I'm generally in his court.

I haven't said it's wrong - I have asked why? Big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
Being able to see what is done in the OR is quite exciting and extremely impressive. Your perspective is vastly different than even an observer. I think it's great he will get the opportunity to observe a surgical procedure, it's to bad not everyone else can.
Thank you for your 2 posts. It helps clarify why he wouyld be doing this. I wasn't asking to be contrary, I just wanted to understand. Appreciate your detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
William will be in the OR with the nurses and doctors. He will likely see the surgery on television monitors, or from a safe distance but still able to view - his height will definitely come in handy here. Modern hospitals no longer have galleries and I would be very surprised if any OR in the western world has a gallery.

I work with surgeons and have been in the OR, as an observer not a patient, in a number of facilities and can speak to this with a certain amount of authority (for anyone who wants me to cite my sources ).
Well I've been a patient and cant remember a thing!

This = happiness.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you for your 2 posts. It helps clarify why he wouyld be doing this. I wasn't asking to be contrary, I just wanted to understand. Appreciate your detailed response.
You're welcome! I love surgery and while working with surgeons can be a pain in the arse, I realize that comes with the territory. It really amazes me how doing an operation can in some cases cure a person's problem or alleviate symptoms.

I didn't think you were being contrary, and I apologize if my post came across like that.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well I've been a patient and cant remember a thing!

This = happiness.
It's probably best that way. Or, those were some really good drugs your doctors used.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I always LOVE the anaesthetist - always a girls best friend. Buyt my abiding memory is coming round and it hurt (low pain threshold) and yellling at my Dr "you said it wouldn't hurt" and him holding my hand, winking and saying "I lied". Nearly bust my stitches laughing!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You're spot on there. This man has the 'people' skills most politicians and public figures would only dream of possessing, and his compassion, and kind heart only add to this charm.

This will be an interesting visit for sure. I'm glad William is taking such interest in the happenings of his charities, as well as in those who benefit from them. Says a lot about him as a human being.

You're spot on again. I give him a great deal of credit for being able to do something like this. I know that I have trouble staying calm when students get a scratch with a drop of blood, so to watch an entire operation would probably send me to the nearest Emergency Room, due to a fainting spell.
First- Nice article. Love the photo of Diana. She looks divine.
@ Daria- about my quotes- Thank you! You are able to express my thoughts better than I can sometimes. Very handy.
As to why William should do this- to be a hands on patron. You want to know about homelessness, you visit a homeless shelter, Aids an AIDS ward, addiction a treatment center, life after jail a youth charity end of life care a hospice. Hospital you see surgery. When William meets people in the future, who have been through that, he can connect to them with ease. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Royal Highness

The Express article said the William is going to meet the surgical team but not the patients whose surgery is going to watch but KP didn't rule out him meeting them at a later date.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Majesty

Another milestone for Prince William as he is set to represent the Queen at State visit-
Another milestone for Prince William as he is set to represent the Queen at State visit | Royal | News | Daily Express

"The Duke of Cambridge, who went with his then new wife Kate to meet US President Barack Obama during his State visit to Britain in May 2011, will take no further part in the three-day State visit. Kate, who is still officially on maternity leave, will not be involved at all.

Aides have insisted that she and William have no plans to attend State banquets and formal welcomes for visiting heads of state at Horse Guards Parade until they become fulltime working royals.

However, in contrast, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, who do not carry out official duties on behalf of the Queen, often attend State banquets."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Sorry if this puts a damper on this for some - but what is the point?
As someone who works in the medical education world, I think it'd be cool for leaders and politicians to watch the work of a hospital or operating theater - only then, can they see the type of coordination that needs to happen and the resources that go into quality care.

Also, the fact that the Duke will be witnessing a breast reconstruction is huge, since that field of plastic surgery is currently undergoing a revolution that is hugely important to millions of women all over the world. The Express article mentioned that the other procedure is pretty innovative, too, but I just don't know as much about it. Hopefully, this visit raises awareness for these procedures.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Nobility

William is president of the Royal Marsden Hospital. Why is he doing this? Who knows? Maybe he's trying to get a feel for different areas of the hospital. I've had two operations in my lifetime, and don't remember a thing about them, but back in the day when the Discovery Channel aired surgeries, I usually watched. Some people find surgery fascinating. Back on topic, there's no doubt the two patients whose surgeries William will observe have signed consent forms. I doubt the fact that they'll be observed will be kept secret from them.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
William is president of the Royal Marsden Hospital. Why is he doing this? Who knows? Maybe he's trying to get a feel for different areas of the hospital. I've had two operations in my lifetime, and don't remember a thing about them, but back in the day when the Discovery Channel aired surgeries, I usually watched. Some people find surgery fascinating. Back on topic, there's no doubt the two patients whose surgeries William will observe have signed consent forms. I doubt the fact that they'll be observed will be kept secret from them.
It did say in the article that they have already consented to it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 18m
Prince William, president, will visit BAFTA HQ on Nov 18 to launch a campaign to help young people enter the film, TV and games industries.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 34m
Prince William will attend The British Military Tournament on Sunday 8 December -he missed last year's event due to Kate's pregnacy sickness
Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

From the Court Circular, 4 November.

the Duke of Cambridge, this afternoon, attended a Centenary Campaign Luncheon at the Imperial War Museum, London.

Not mentioned anywhere in advance. why not??

Closed Thread