The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

I think the cake is brilliant. Couldn't have been easy to whip up hahaha.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Video:
Home - ITNSource News

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
will Kate attend it too?
As we know, she didn't and it's appropriate that she didn't.

It appears that this is William's patronage and he took an interest in this organization before his marriage. Prior to William's interest, the Queen Mother and Charles have also been involved, in some capacity, with St Giles.

From the website: St Giles Trust - breaking the cycle of offending
Quote:
The Prince previously visited the charity in March 2009 when he met clients and staff at the charity’s head office in Camberwell, south London.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
I don't see how it's appropriate she didn't attend, just because it's Williams patronage and he has a history with it doesn't mean she couldn't have attended with him. It's nice to have some company on an evening out y'know.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You and me both.... His picture needs to be in the dictionary next to words like 'dapper', 'dashing', 'distinguished', 'debonair', as well as 'compassionate', 'sincere', and 'gentlemanly'.

Love the pictures. His smile is so sincere and warm. Makes you want to smile along with him .

That smile should be bottled up and sold to those who are feeling down. It would bring a great deal of sunshine.
Indeed- along with the page that has a list of the things that make women drool!
Agree with all the other statements!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post

It appears that this is William's patronage and he took an interest in this organization before his marriage. Prior to William's interest, the Queen Mother and Charles have also been involved, in some capacity, with St Giles.

From the website: St Giles Trust - breaking the cycle of offending
I'd add two thoughts. Every time the Duke and Duchess appear together (and especially in the evening), the focus comes off the event and onto Kate and her frock/hair/etc. I think the couple realize this and choose to NOT go together when they want the focus to be on the charity or event. It's a very mature choice to make.

Second, on the frock issue, since the press has decided to tote up every penny she spends, one less night out means one less gown needed.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd add two thoughts. Every time the Duke and Duchess appear together (and especially in the evening), the focus comes off the event and onto Kate and her frock/hair/etc. I think the couple realize this and choose to NOT go together when they want the focus to be on the charity or event. It's a very mature choice to make.

Second, on the frock issue, since the press has decided to tote up every penny she spends, one less night out means one less gown needed.

Just my opinion.
Well the press and public better get used to them appearing together because although they each have their own patronages, going forward the focus is on The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. That is to be their main charitable vehicle for the rest of their lives. I don't think it was planned for Catherine not to attend. The couple attend much higher profile events together than this and the tabloids will always focus on Catherine's hair and clothes because that's what winds up the tabloid readership
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see how it's appropriate she didn't attend, just because it's Williams patronage and he has a history with it doesn't mean she couldn't have attended with him. It's nice to have some company on an evening out y'know.
I meant that it's appropriate that each have their individual charities and interests as well as ones they do together.

It's a pattern that we will see more and more of - some individual, some joint engagements - similar to what Sophie and Edward do now.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

The reality is that just like all the other royal couples, William & Catherine won't always attend the same event together. It's not about one taking the attention off the other but from time to time the royal couple do separate official engagements. That's the pattern married royal couples have been doing for decades.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well yes, doing engagements separately makes sense and it's obvious to cover more ground. However I don't see why it's more appropriate for Catherine to attend one event with William instead of another. They obviously choose themselves when they want to do joint engagements, or they get invited together etc.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well yes, doing engagements separately makes sense and it's obvious to cover more ground. However I don't see why it's more appropriate for Catherine to attend one event with William instead of another. They obviously choose themselves when they want to do joint engagements, or they get invited together etc.
Yes, the royals tend to have loose areas of interest that they tend to focus their attention on.

This is explained by Prince Edward from approximately 3:10 to 5:00 in the following video (Sophie is likely to do 'children, animals, disease' - Edward more likely to do 'youth, sports, the arts' - although overlaps are common and willingly carried out).

Actually, the whole video is rather interesting - it's only 6 1/2 minutes long, but gives some insight - from Anne and Edward themselves - on how engagements are chosen and carried out.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Also, sometimes royal couples have private engagements or other commitments to attend to.

I'm sure both William & Catherine love doing their official engagements together. What I find very encouraging is that Catherine has gain a great deal of confidence to carryout some official engagements on her own. William is of course used to doing it but now his wife is able to handle this on her own too and I'm sure he's proud of her and the grace she has shown when she's doing solo engagements.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have always liked this video because I think Prince Edward & Princess Anne make things pretty clear about how things work within the royals interest and what they actually think about the impact they have on these different charities and organizations.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

I just thought Catherine had a previous personal engagement and as it was not her charity, it was William's it was ok that she chose to keep her personal commitment.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I just thought Catherine had a previous personal engagement and as it was not her charity, it was William's it was ok that she chose to keep her personal commitment.
There was an occasion very recently - but not this one - where it was announced that Kate would not attend a engagement with William due to a previous commitment. You might be thinking of that occasion - but it was not for occasion of the St. Giles dinner.

I think that generally when a royal couple are invited to an engagement, and subsequently one can't attend, an official announcement is made. (We also saw this recently when it was announced that William would attend a funeral and Kate would undertake the planned engagements - originally scheduled for both - on her own.)

ETA: It was the Hedge dinner where it was officially announced that Kate had a previous commitment.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Indeed- along with the page that has a list of the things that make women drool!
Agree with all the other statements!
Only too true .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

IS PRINCE WILLIAM READY TO HANG UP HIS WINGS?-
Is Prince William ready to hang up his wings? | Columnists | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Serene Highness

I am willing to bet my last dollar that William becomes a working royal next year when his current duty is up in 2013. The reorganising of Catherine's and his office and staff members only convinces me of this. Change is in the works with the Cambridges.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder if William will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on behalf of his father at the Remembrance Sunday Service?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

William lays a wreath on behalf of himself, but he may lay one on behalf of his father. Time will tell.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Closed Thread