The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats for sure. Gap year just didnt sound right to anyone. It made it seem that William was going to take a long vacation and think about what he wanted to do next. Transitional is a much better word to use. I for one am glad they changed the terminology.

I don't remember ... was it ever called a "gap year" in the official announcement? I thought "transition" was the word always used.

Yup, I do believe it was " gap year " that was initially used.

Awesome! He did a great job with the sword. Thanks for posting that Dman, I enjoyed it.

I don't remember ... was it ever called a "gap year" in the official announcement? I thought "transition" was the word always used.

KP never called it a "gap year." According to a number of reporters, KP referred to it as a "transitional" year. It was the media that decided to call it a "gap year."

BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt tweeted that royal officials said the next 12 months would be "transitional" for Prince William.

BBC News - Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties

Last edited:
I think the media was pretty confused like a great of others by the official statements.

Yup, I do believe it was " gap year " that was initially used.

I'm not so sure. All the news media on the day of the announcement used the word "transitional" to have been announced from Clarence House.

BBC News - Prince William to swap armed forces for royal duties
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/world/europe/prince-william-to-leave-british-military.html?_r=0

The first time I read the words "gap year" was in the Daily Mail's headline that day, but the DM article, when quoting the announcement, uses the word "transitional".

After the phrase "gap year" began being used, Clarence House removed all mention of the word "transitional".

Edited: Ooops ... sorry, soapstar ... I didn't see your post before I sent this one.

Last edited:
I think the media was pretty confused like a great of others by the official statements.

Honestly, there was nothing in the statement that was confusing. It was when everyone else (i.e. the media) started making up stories disguised as 'reports' that the uproar happened. Overreacting as usual. It's actually been really annoying to watch play out. It's happened on this forum where everyone makes an assumption or believes what they read when it has no basis. Transitional year, to me and obviously to Kensington Palace, always meant he would be slowly increasing his duties and getting involved in more organizations and with his patronages and Foundation.

Maybe everyone should have waited the 'further announcements' before jumping to conclusions as usual. It should have been about the excitement of him starting a new chapter in life and the work he would be doing in conservation not tearing down his character, starting a William v. Harry debate, or making other assumptions and accusations.

Sorry rant over, but this has been extremely annoying and ridiculous.

Dman:
Thank you for the video, It was nice to see. Prince William to me looked rather stately and handsome. I think it's great that he takes time to learn the ropes so to speak about all that he will be responsible for in the future. Wonder what his grandmother the Queen thought?

Not wielding the sword, but there's a video here of William pinning someone and then speaking with them:

BBC News - Prince William hosts his first investiture

Love this. He looks so natural- like a duck in water. No offence to the Queen or Charles, but he looks like the King already. And yes, very dashing in his uniform.:D

I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes.

I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?

He reminds (rather his mannerisims) me more of his father here lately...I see a glimpse of Diana now and then but mostly Charles now.

LaRae

To me he has always been Philip - from a baby onwards those Mountbatten genes dominate.

I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes.

I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?

When it comes to pomp and circumstance and formality, William is all Charles. In a relaxed mode, its very easy to catch glimmers of Diana.

I've see William greet his grandmother at the RAF base in Anglesey and he was the epitome of the proper gentleman and did a very correct bow. I'm sure if he was among the ranks somewhere being presented to the Queen, he would salute his sovereign right along with his troops.

At the investiture he did recently I would presume that William did not salute as he was the representative of HM The Queen and was taking the salutes for her.

I find that, physically, William is a mix of both parents, but in terms of things like facial expressions, postures, gestures, he's so much like his mother it's eerie sometimes. I noticed the member of the armed forces behind William was saluting during God Save The Queen. Did William not do the same because he was the ranking member of the royal family present? If he was at a similar occasion with The Queen, would he salute?

Others may be more knowledgeable than I, but I believe you have the right idea. William was standing in for the Queen so he takes on her status for the event. I think he would salute if she were present. IIRC when Harry represented HM last summer at the paraolympics closing he stood for the anthem as though he were the Queen, too.

Others may be more knowledgeable than I, but I believe you have the right idea. William was standing in for the Queen so he takes on her status for the event. I think he would salute if she were present. IIRC when Harry represented HM last summer at the paraolympics closing he stood for the anthem as though he were the Queen, too.

Correct but you would not salute if not in uniform. So if the Queen is present, then only officers in uniform would salute

Love this. He looks so natural- like a duck in water. No offence to the Queen or Charles, but he looks like the King already. And yes, very dashing in his uniform.:D

You hit the nail on the head; he looks as if he has been doing this all his life, and yes, he's very dashing in his uniform. He is carrying himself like a monarch that he will become.

There is really nothing in those photos to suggest he was hunting. There are people in tweed but he could have been visiting duchy of Cornwall lands. It was reported that William was going to spend time learning the ins and outs of the duchy. It just seems weird to be going hunting on a Tuesday a day before your kid is christened.

What a wonderful human being
He matured exceptionally
He better...he looks very comfortable
So proud of him
His mother would be ..;)

Yes he is. He has grown into a very good man and Diana would be exceptionally proud of him Im sure. It would have been so nice if she could have held his little son as well.

We are delighted to announce that HRH The Duke of Cambridge will visit St Giles Trust on Wednesday 6 November-
St Giles Trust - breaking the cycle of offending

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 47m
The Duke of Cambridge, vice patron Welsh Rugby Union, will watch Wales and South Africa play for the Prince William Cup in Cardiff Nov 9.

Last edited:

We are delighted to announce that HRH The Duke of Cambridge will visit St Giles Trust on Wednesday 6 November-
St Giles Trust - breaking the cycle of offending

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 47m
The Duke of Cambridge, vice patron Welsh Rugby Union, will watch Wales and South Africa play for the Prince William Cup in Cardiff Nov 9.
First- The Duke + people = magical. Love those photos. Prince William in a tuxedo= :D
Second- Really looking forward to this. Love that William shares compassion, not judgement. Good for a future king.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3m
The Duke of Cambridge will represent the Queen at a groundbreaking ceremony for a Korean War Memorial in London on November 5.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
Prince William will join South Korean President Park Geun-hye at a Korean War memorial ceremony on Nov 5 during her state visit to the UK.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 4m
William will join the president for the ground-breaking ceremony of a new Korean War Memorial at Victoria Embankment Gardens on November 5

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2m
But the prince won't be joined by wife, Kate. Neither will they take part in the glittering state banquet at Buckingham Palace next week....

Last edited:
It's good to hear about William stepping up his official duties.

Another milestone for Prince William as he is set to represent the Queen at State visit-
Another milestone for Prince William as he is set to represent the Queen at State visit | Royal | News | Daily Express

"The Duke of Cambridge, who went with his then new wife Kate to meet US President Barack Obama during his State visit to Britain in May 2011, will take no further part in the three-day State visit. Kate, who is still officially on maternity leave, will not be involved at all.

Aides have insisted that she and William have no plans to attend State banquets and formal welcomes for visiting heads of state at Horse Guards Parade until they become fulltime working royals.

However, in contrast, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, who do not carry out official duties on behalf of the Queen, often attend State banquets."

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 34m
Prince William will attend The British Military Tournament on Sunday 8 December -he missed last year's event due to Kate's pregnacy sickness

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom