The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
It's not as if he needs a country pile. William and Catherine are probably glad to be able to use Highgrove and Birkhall as country retreats without having to manage such a household. They surely have enough on their plate as it is! The day will come when William inherits several homes in the countryside anyway, so why bother with that now? If you compare the costs of buying and maintaining a proper country home to going on holiday whereever they want to, of course it makes absolutely no sense to invest in their own place.

It's different for Harry, he will need such a place one day but then there's his father to help him as the queen did for her younger children.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Did the official website really write "THE Prince William, Earl of Strathearn"? Expect better from royal.gov.uk :whistle:
Sorry for the delay in replying. The answer is yes it did. All Royal titles have "The" in front. From today's Court Circular:

"The Queen..........................
The Prince of Wales ...................
"The Duke of York.........."

Standard formal mode of address.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name. Princess Anne was The Princess Anne before receiving the title Princess Royal, as her brothers were The Prince ______ before receiving their respective titles. When Charles ascends the throne, Harry, for example, will be The Prince Henry.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope
Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name. Princess Anne was The Princess Anne before receiving the title Princess Royal, as her brother were The Prince ______ before receiving their respective titles. When Charles ascends the throne, Harry, for example, will be The Prince Henry.

Thank you!! Someone finally understands!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

No doubt Buckingham Palace will have to hold an internal inquiry to try and find out how this completely insignificant mistake was made.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Now now EIIR, don't ruin William's day the added The is a big step for him
Old 06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

He's had quite a few promotions lately, what's one more?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Nobility

Does it have something to do with it being in Scotland? His father is "The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothsay" in Scotland. I know that English practice has evolved so that only the monarch's children have "The" before their names but perhaps the monarchy is reverting to what was Scots practice before the Act of Union to reflect the times? Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Wills’ brekkie in bed and watch for 30th | The Sun |News
Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
Only the sovereign's children have "The" preceding the name...
The British Monarchy website is very free with the use of "The".
For example, this is the Line of Succession:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Succession.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	285800  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

I would be curious to know the distinction between Mr Samual Chatto and Master Arthur Chatto - both being young boys. I always had heard the cut off age was 18... but perhaps it is younger.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think that might be another error, unless it has to do with something whichever brother is page to the the Queen.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I would be curious to know the distinction between Mr Samual Chatto and Master Arthur Chatto - both being young boys. I always had heard the cut off age was 18... but perhaps it is younger.
My mother taught me to use Master up to age 8. I'm not sure if there is an official cutoff age but I'd never go against my mother ;-)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I could be wrong, but I wonder if this has anything to do with Arthur being the younger of the two brothers and therefore being called 'Master' to show that particular distinction.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
My mother taught me to use Master up to age 8. I'm not sure if there is an official cutoff age but I'd never go against my mother ;-)
I was taught the same thing csw. I have no idea where my parents got this idea though. They called my son Master Ryan until he was 8 and then it became Mister. My parents are kind of nutty though. My dad still calls me Madame Kazonga. Again, no idea where that came from!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I was taught the same thing csw. I have no idea where my parents got this idea though. They called my son Master Ryan until he was 8 and then it became Mister. My parents are kind of nutty though. My dad still calls me Madame Kazonga. Again, no idea where that came from!
Madame Kazonga is an AWESOME name!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Duke of Edinburgh's health scare puts Prince William's career as RAF pilot in doubt
Quote:
Just days after celebrating his 30th birthday, has Prince William already made a decision about his future with the RAF? One senior officer tells me they are not hopeful that the Duke of Cambridge will resume his service as a search-and-rescue helicopter pilot when his current tour of duty ends next year. ‘He has a tour review date to discuss his next posting pencilled in for the final quarter of the year, but first he has to tell us if he wants to continue. We realise there are other demands and William has this unique, dual role.’
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Wet Wills | The Sun |News
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

My word the papers scrape the bottom of the barrel with articles like that one. I'm sure the whole nation was on tenterhooks waiting to hear how cold William was while being pulled along by a speedboat in the sea off Anglesey. We can all rest easy now we know.

Apparently while bobbing about in the sea William became 'soaked to the skin'. Cutting edge journalism there from the Sun.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Courtier

It also may not be entirely William's decision; I'm sure his employers at the RAF have issues of their own that would need to be discussed. The longer William continues with the forces, the greater the likelihood that his father will become King while he, (William), is employed full time as a pilot. I'm sure William's employers appreciate the unique nature of his other job, but the fact is they have scheduling and staffing concerns and they need to be able to make plans based on the assumption that their pilots will be fully committed for the full length of their terms of service.

Closed Thread