The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if William will lay a wreath at The Cenotaph on behalf of his father at the Remembrance Sunday Service?

I don't recall substitutes laying wreaths for other members of the Royal family in the past when they have missed the Cenotaph service because they have been attending services elsewhere. The only exception would be the Queen who doesn't lay her wreath on her own behalf but lays it on behalf of the nation.

In any case, the Prince of Wales will lay his own wreath, just not in London. I think William will lay his wreath on his own behalf only.

In any case, the Prince of Wales will lay his own wreath, just not in London. I think William will lay his wreath on his own behalf only.

That's what I would have thought, as well.

Not surprised in the least..... he comes first with good reason! Congrats to HRH.:D:cool:

I really like William but I don't agree this. HMQ, Prince Philip, Charles, Anne, Edward and Sophie work far harder at royal duties than William. This was young people pushing the poll for William And Catherine higher than the others so I'd love to see the age profile in detail.

This is a good thing for the future of the monarchy but I don't think he "deserves" it

I imagine if the poll had asked who's the most admirable or distinguished or hard working member of the royal family the results would have been different, (for me the answer to all three of those questions would be the Queen). But if the question asked was something along the lines of "who's your favourite royal", that, to me, means who is the most likeable and, (again IMO), that's William, hands down.

These types of 'popularity' polls need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I mean, in 2002 Princess Diana came above Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton in the BBC's 100 Greatest Britons poll (which still makes me ashamed of my fellow countrymen and women). William and Harry are young, handsome and currently putting their lives on the line to serve Queen and country.

Much as I like them both, ageism plays a big part in this. The young royals are seen as fun and cool, while the Queen is now at the sweet little granny 'national treasure' end of the scale. It's the royals in the middle - Charles, Camilla, Andrew etc. - who are stuck in the uncool middle-aged no man's land.

I think this is a hugely positive poll for the monarchy as a whole. The Queen is almost universally admired and respected, and support for retaining the monarchy is almost 80%. The institution is probably in its strongest position for the last 60 years, which is perhaps not surprising given our other major institutions have let us down lately - the BBC, the police, MPs, the press more generally.

I loved the blog on Will's RAF job. He works the same number of shifts as everybody else. After a 24hr shift the outgoing crew is on 2nd team standby mode the day their shift ends so he has to stay in the area. I did find it funny in all of the shots, the guys are drink from RAF mugs but the shot with Wills on the computer there is a mug with a close up of a pig on it. Just seems weird.

LOL, I'm guessing they have all kinds of mugs there. Very nice pictures. Must be a hard job.

Here is the link to the Telegraph article about the release on the official webpage. RAF Valley: revealing pictures show Prince William in barracks - Telegraph

There were photos in the Telegraph article not on the official website - meaning, probably, that there was a press release that went out as well? The Telegraph also noted the personal nature of the photos, "some of which are blurry and out of focus." The six year commitment to the job was mentioned, but no mention of the transition to privatize the service.

The timing of this release is odd. On Nov 14 there was also a release from the Prince praising the April Jones rescue teams and their connection to SAR teams. Prince William thanks April Jones rescue teams - Telegraph

Many people are betting William leaves SAR to become a full time royal - yet these releases plump for the rescue service. By earlier press reports, William was to recommit to another tour (although for another SAR location - as it is required that staff rotate their tour locations) about this time of year. the next tour would start (or this tour would end) mid 2013. See Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph.

Maybe Wills is just doing some PR for SAR before he leaves. Who knows - but I am less sure then ever what choice the Prince has made/will make.

I think this has less to do with William's career and more to do with the re-design of the PoW's website. I was one (of probably thousands) who responded to the PoW's survey to make improvements to the website several months ago. I can't speak for others, but I requested more photos and more insight into their day-to-day lives. I think this is a direct result of such feedback and I commend them for giving us this glimpse of William's life. Personally, I think the website has gone a little too heavy on the photos....but we got what we asked for! :flowers:

I think this has less to do with William's career and more to do with the re-design of the PoW's website. I was one (of probably thousands) who responded to the PoW's survey to make improvements to the website several months ago. I can't speak for others, but I requested more photos and more insight into their day-to-day lives. I think this is a direct result of such feedback and I commend them for giving us this glimpse of William's life. Personally, I think the website has gone a little too heavy on the photos....but we got what we asked for! :flowers:

I too requested the website should give the media and public more insight into the royals lives and their work. I also think the Official Monarchy site should do the same.

There were photos in the Telegraph article not on the official website - meaning, probably, that there was a press release that went out as well?

Well, now we know why the pics I saw in the press and the pics on the POC site did not match. I caught them in the middle of sorting out the SNAFU. :lol:

Well, now we know why the pics I saw in the press and the pics on the POC site did not match. I caught them in the middle of sorting out the SNAFU. :lol:

Shows to go ya just how easily something can be given away these days by a haphazard photo. It was very easy probably to overlook that there may have been sensitive information in the background. To be honest, I would never have thought about it looking at the pics.

How on earth did an RAF photographer not realise that taking pictures that showed usernames and passwords of staff in the background might not have been the best idea?

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the Daily Mail, though. On their article about the photos they described William as '2nd in line to the thrown', which even by the DM's almost non-existent standards is a new low as regards their staff's literacy capabilities.

How on earth did an RAF photographer not realise that taking pictures that showed usernames and passwords of staff in the background might not have been the best idea?

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the Daily Mail, though. On their article about the photos they described William as '2nd in line to the thrown', which even by the DM's almost non-existent standards is a new low as regards their staff's literacy capabilities.

Isn't he though? First in line to the thrown is Charles. Second in line is William. Or am I missing something?

Isn't he though? First in line to the thrown is Charles. Second in line is William. Or am I missing something?

The correct word is "throne" not thrown which reflects on the DMs writers and editors.

At least it didn't say 'second in line to BE thrown.'

Not sure what's worse when it comes to the wrong word, but sounds the same so must be right, but it's not category...

What the DM posted about William and the "thrown" or the three articles in various online publications I saw this week about the Duke and "Dutchess" of Cambridge.

Sadly, I'm not kidding about that.

Sigh...How in the name of all Holy did that RAF Photographer *not* catch that? *groan*

I guess we will soon know what he and Catherine will do.

The telegraph article about William returning to the Blues and Royals is from the gossip writer Mandrake not the a news reporter so I don't know how true it is.

IMO, it does not make sense for William go back to the his old army job. What is going to do there ? It is the same problem he had before, we was a tank commander but he couldn't go to Afghanstan with his men. That is why he switched to the RAF where he could do something usefull but not be in a warzone.

Harry (also in the Blues & Royals) even had to go on attached to the Air Corps to get back to Afghanstan since it was to dangerous for the other troops for him to go back how he did the first time undercover.

William tour in SAR ends in the spring or summer, the KP palace apartment should be done in the summer. Kate maybe pregnant by the summer. However neither the Queen or the DoE are getting any younger. Once Prince Phillip dies, there is no way that William can stay in the military.

Before the wedding there was talk of two years for William & Kate for them to be normal military couple like the Queen & Phillip had in Malta after their marriage before she became Queen. The two years are coming up, I think William will leave the military altogether and become a full time royal in next fall.

Intrepid reporting there lol. Of course they are the 3 options haha.
One thing I know for sure, William will leave the RAF. There is no point having KP renovated for 2013 or the hiring of additional staff if the couple don't plan on moving in for another 3 years.
One way or the other, W&C will be based in London and carrying out royal duties on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
Kate Debate ‏@RoyalKateDebate "It’s a long old process but she is getting there. She feels like it is going to go on forever.” Will on Kate

William is going to the British military tournament tomorrow. Press is saying Kate won't there but she's apparently still listed as attending on the official diary same for the Hobbit premiere.

ETA: Luisa Baldini ‏@LuisaBaldini1 @RoyalKateDebate I was told Kate definitely isn't going tomorrow. No decision had been made yet re.Hobbit

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Kate may not be here - but James Middleton is: in the next box along to press box #Katebyproxy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom