The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Courtier

I thought William was pretty candid about his military and royal commitments becoming harder to juggle. It seems to me a pretty clear indication that he will be out in 2013 when his current service term is up. Full-time royal duty based in London, living at their newly refurbished apartment in KP, and Kate expecting baby number one: doesn't sound like a bad proposition to me for next year!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Aristocracy

Full episode with William and Harry's interviews...

20/20 Season 31 Episode 107 | Full TV Episode Online - ABC.com

Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

'Middle-aged' Prince William enjoys a night out with close friend Guy Pelly
Quote:
Prince Harry has often joked that his brother has become decidedly middle-aged since his wedding to Kate Middleton last year. The Royal couple are said to prefer nights in front of the TV watching their favourite DVDs and eating home-cooked meals at their Anglesey home rather than enjoying a night on the tiles. So it was rather surprising to see William enjoying an evening out with close friend Guy Pelly at a private member's club in Mayfair.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Majesty

Stupid as usual from DM. When in Angelsey the Prince is on duty and therefore cannot drink. And meeting up with old friends when in London seems a natural thing to do. I also note (again) the sly (implied) comments about the relationship in the Cambridge marriage. So it's nasty and stupid.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe

Stupid as usual from DM. When in Angelsey the Prince is on duty and therefore cannot drink. And meeting up with old friends when in London seems a natural thing to do. I also note (again) the sly (implied) comments about the relationship in the Cambridge marriage. So it's nasty and stupid.
I don't see any sly comments about the marriage? Unless you mean the one about Catherine not being there which is just an obvious statement.
What's wrong with the DM telling it like it is? William prefers nights in and we haven't seen him out in a while. We wouldn't know if he goes out in Anglesey or not.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see any sly comments about the marriage? Unless you mean the one about Catherine not being there which is just an obvious statement.
What's wrong with the DM telling it like it is? William prefers nights in and we haven't seen him out in a while. We wouldn't know if he goes out in Anglesey or not.
Click on the "worst rated" comments - some pretty unpleasant ones there.
On the whole, the article itself wasn't a particularly bad or negative one.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

When newspapers emphasise that a man is on a night out with his mates without his wife, the implication is that he might get up to something untoward. It's not said outright, but the unspoken suggestion is that men can't be trusted when they're out drinking without their wives as chaperones.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

To me I see the scenario like this: In the morning/afternoon William Harry and Kate went to the wedding. They possibly met up with old friends there. William decided to get together with them. Harry and Kate may have possibly been tired so William went and the other two went back home. Nothing too worrying IMO
Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
When newspapers emphasise that a man is on a night out with his mates without his wife, the implication is that he might get up to something untoward. It's not said outright, but the unspoken suggestion is that men can't be trusted when they're out drinking without their wives as chaperones.

Absolutely!
Another implication is that the marriage is in trouble; note the comments about how well Kate and Harry get along?

They are far from innocent, imo.
Furthermore, Guy Pelly (fairly or not) has a bit of a wild reputation and may be perceived as leading the princes into trouble.

All in all, not a bad day's work from the DM!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Wait wait I'm sorry I may just be reading things incorrectly are we actually saying we believe William was up to no good last night and that the marriage is in trouble? Or are we saying that's what the papers WANT us to think?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe it's what the papers want people to think. The media likes to stir things up!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 PM

He went out with a guy firend for a night out, like loads of married men do
Old 06-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course lots of married men go out without their wives. But the DM, knowing that there's no story here, chooses to focus on the fact that Kate wasn't there, knowing people will click on the story to see if he maybe got up to something he shouldn't have. They don't say it outright, but they lead people down that path.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Gentry

seriously please don't take the daily mail seriously. they call pippa her royal hotness! and make non news out of anything. i think they should be left alone and that the more Kate proves she is welcomed in the family the more the press feel they have to make such "selling" articles. these two have been together for ages. if she had anything to do with harry i'm sure it would have been seen 9 years ago!
I don't understand why the press coverage give so much attention to kate because it mostly makes negative comments on everything other than her fashion sense. it's just empty gossip and prince william is a very solid guy who won't mess around.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Daily Mail has very much become a parody of itself. I think people are getting wise to their tricks all the time. My point was, there's not much mileage in 'Prince William enjoys a night off with his friends', so they play up the fact that Kate wasn't there to try and get people to click on the article.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsol View Post
seriously please don't take the daily mail seriously. they call pippa her royal hotness! and make non news out of anything. i think they should be left alone and that the more Kate proves she is welcomed in the family the more the press feel they have to make such "selling" articles. these two have been together for ages. if she had anything to do with harry i'm sure it would have been seen 9 years ago!
I don't understand why the press coverage give so much attention to kate because it mostly makes negative comments on everything other than her fashion sense. it's just empty gossip and prince william is a very solid guy who won't mess around.
The commentary on Kate and her family on sites like DM make me wince, and I don't wince at much. I feel like I need a rabies shot every time I go there.

The man went out for a few with his friend last night and probably needed some black coffee and aspirin this morning. I don't see what the big deal is there. It's not like he's out every other night. No surreptitious videos of him chatting up a woman. I doubt he drove under the influence.

And I agree that the press likes to stir things up - it's these rumors and crazy commentary that makes them money. Commentary from the very same people whom I've no doubt leave their spouses every now and again and go and have a few too many with the friends.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

So many of those people (doing the commentary) are downright mean!

Makes you wonder what their own lives are like...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I believe it's what the papers want people to think. The media likes to stir things up!
Oh ok see I knew I read it wrong. Yah totally the DM especially is ridiculous with their headlines
Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I see the Daily Malice is at it again by writing a seemingly innocuous story and opening it up to vituperative and nasty comments that just want to have a field day with Will and Kate's marriage. Naturally, no other married guy in the history of the institution has ever gone out for a night with their friends.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Majesty

I see DM is up to its' usual activity; making a story out of nothing. I don't see anything wrong with William going out with his friends. It doesn't mean that the marriage is about to fall apart. Couples cannot always be together, because it's just not healthy. Spending too much time together can have bad consequences as too much time apart, and I think that William and Catherine are trying to find a balance. Also, William works crazy hours, so I can understand perfectly why he'd want to just stay in and relax when in Wales. It's obvious that he's not a party animal of some sort, and an occasional night out with his male friends is more than acceptable.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread