The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 1: October 2003-January 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caption:
LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 26: The Duchess of Gloucester attends a dinner at the Guildhall held in honour of the Norwegian Royal Family visit to Britain on October 26, 2005 in London, England. (Photo by Tim Graham/Getty Images)

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56020563.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=84E37F5E8924E2899BE7A09579CDFAAE94D2604A015CF9DF

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/56020565.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=84E37F5E8924E2899D707792AB7D19C494D2604A015CF9DF

What is the state of their income? Do they receive an income from the state? or do they have other jobs? What about inheritance? did they receive inheritance from the previous Duke and Duchess? Or a palace or so?!

They used to be on the Civil List, if I remember right, but when the Civil List was pruned to cover just the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the Queen Mother, the Gloucesters and other royals who did official duties for the Queen, were reimbursed by the Queen rather than paid directly by the Civil List.

The Duke would have inherited his parents' estate, being their only surviving child. He was also the godson and heir of Princess Marie Louise (daughter of Princess Helena of Schleswig-Holstein, one of Queen Victoria's daughters). His apartment at Kensington Palace is a grace-and-favour residence for which he pays apparently a nominal rent; as far as I know he still owns Barnwell Manor (in Northamptonshire), but for some years now the family hasn't lived there, and it's been rented out to an antique dealership.

Here's a picture of Barnwell:

http://www.oundleonline.co.uk/pp/gold/viewgold.asp?ID=1515

As a younger son, he was expected to have to support himself financially; he studied architecture at university and had started a professional career as an architect. However, when his elder brother died he had to give it up and start taking on more royal duties and managing the estate at Barnwell because his father by that time was too ill to do anything along those lines and his mother was spending a lot of time looking after her husband.

The Duchess of Gloucester looks more beautiful and younger as she ages! Does anyone know what types of personalities the Duke and Duchess have? They look like they are alittle shy and quiet.

It's said that they're both very quiet, low-key people. I think the Countess of Ulster's father said something at the time of his daughter's wedding to the Duke and Duchess's son that the Duke and Duchess wanted the wedding to be a quiet family affair because that's the sort of people they are, and the Booth family was happy to fall in with the plans.

For a minor royal, the Duchess has a grand collection of Tiaras and jewells, probably Princess Michael is jealous! Interesting how things work out in the end, she must have more Jewels and tiaras than Princess Margaret had!

I'm assuming Princess Alice had quite a nice collection of jewelry and some of those have been passed on to the Duchess. The Gloucesters seem very low-key and unpretentious.:)

auntie said:
For a minor royal, the Duchess has a grand collection of Tiaras and jewells, probably Princess Michael is jealous! Interesting how things work out in the end, she must have more Jewels and tiaras than Princess Margaret had!

does anyone have pictures of the duchess's tiaras.

foiegrass said:
does anyone have pictures of the duchess's tiaras.

I remember looking at a website which had really great pictures of all of Queen Mary's daughters-in-Law's jewells, including the queen's mother, and some of the queen herself, I can't find the website again, which is a reak shame, because you have pictures of the younger generation (Kents and Gloucestour) wearing the same jewels. Does anyone know what I am talking about?!

auntie said:
I remember looking at a website which had really great pictures of all of Queen Mary's daughters-in-Law's jewells, including the queen's mother, and some of the queen herself, I can't find the website again, which is a reak shame, because you have pictures of the younger generation (Kents and Gloucestour) wearing the same jewels. Does anyone know what I am talking about?!
It may have been the Royal Jewels of the World site, or Danjel's Royal Jewels site, both of which unfortunately have been closed down due to problems with using copyright images.

Warren said:
It may have been the Royal Jewels of the World site, or Danjel's Royal Jewels site, both of which unfortunately have been closed down due to problems with using copyright images.

No, it was something quite different than I had ever seen before, Grr, I can't find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom