The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Camilla to open arts centre

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/new...rts_centre.php

Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Courtier

Royal interest in local auction

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/tow...ion.3398787.jp

THE Duchess of Cornwall has put forward a bid for a painting of her great-grandmother which is currently for sale with a Towcester auctioneer.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

From photos of portraits I have seen, Camilla bears a striking resemblance to her ancestress, Mrs Keppel's daughter. It is fitting, dont you think, that C have the portrait of the lady who 'started it all'?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Alice Keppel's daughter was Camilla's grandmother, right? I've never seen pics of either woman, either Alice or her daughter, but I understand from many sources that Alice was a captivating person. I think Camilla is deeply proud of the Keppel heritage (the jewels don't hurt!) I suppose that's why when she was a young woman she always joked about it, famously/supposedly with Prince Charles, "How 'bout it?"
There is an interesting article in this month's Majesty titled "A Woman of Substance," by Ian Lloyd. It is actually about Agnes Keyser, a friend of Alice Keppel; at one of Alice's dinner parties in 1898, Agnes met the then Prince of Wales and soon he convinced her to convert her London house into a hospital for officer veterans of the Boer War. Well, this hospital, known as "Sister Agnes" in the royal family, is now King Edward VII Hospital for Officers, named for its first royal patron, the place where Alice's great-granddaughter had Britain's most documented hysterechtomy.

Question about the award she'll have next week: This will be her second award in recognition for her NOS work, won't it? I think she had an award in September too for the same recognition. Was it Kings College? I think on the day of her honorary fellowship, they gave her an award doing so much to raise awareness for osteoporosis as well.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla's salute to Desert Rat heroes who fought alongside dad

Helping mark the 65th anniversary of a key World War II battle, must have been a poignant reminder for the Duchess of Cornwall of her late father, Major Bruce Shand.
Chatting to veterans of the El Alamein battle in Egypt, Camilla recounted how the parent she adored had been wounded and captured during the fighting. The Duchess shared the story over tea after a memorial service for the 7th Armoured Division in Thetford, Norfolk.

Afterwards, a sergeant major who served with Camilla's father spoke warmly of her visit. "She was very pleased to see us all," said 89-year-old Len Burrit. "It was nice she came."

Pictures: Camilla 1 ; Camilla 2
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't know her father fought at El Alamein. That is so cool! And she was so very poised! I know I would have cried.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen View Post
She looked very regal. I like the coat but, not sure about the scarf.
She looks great Blue suits her very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
That's a nice brooch. It's very regal. I like all of Camilla's ensemble here individually but all together doesn't work so well. The neck "embellishment," as you say is very pretty on its own or with something else, but I guess like Susan_alicia said, all together it's just too "busy." That's well put. I would say I agree with that assessment.
Is the brooch of Golden Sapphires? dose anyone know- i dont think it would ne citrine. But you never can tell.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I didn't know her father fought at El Alamein. That is so cool!
The Telegraph obituary of Major Bruce Shand covers his war service and exploits in detail.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
From the article:

Who would ever have believed that the princess, whose marriage could never escape the shadow of Camilla, is now casting her own shadow over the marriage of the woman who took her place, and her HRH style, as Charles's wife?

Come on, Diana has cast her shadow over Charles & Camilla from the day of the Panorama-interview.... So, what's new? I doubt Charles and Camilla are more bothered than usual - why should they?
Yeah, it seems like Diana's shadow is cast over everything related to the royal family this year. Ten years ago, Diana departed this plane of existence. Whereever her soul is now, maybe somewhere in another dimension or something, it's completely unconcerned (or more likely, oblivious) to the earthly tabloid sensationalism.
Kay is a hypocrite. His professed desire to ensure Diana is "never forgotten" is merely self-interest.

Someone should write to Kay and, among other things, remind him that Diana agreed to give up her HRH and her marriage in 1996, so it's impossible that Camilla now has "her" (Diana's) status, as if Diana has some permanent copyright on HRH The Princess of Wales.
I nominate Jo or Sky for the task. They have the best way with words when it comes to He Who Has The Impeccable Source.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla opens arts centre

Camilla Parker-Bowles paid a visit to her home town of Corsham today to formally open the newly refurbished Pound Arts Centre.
The Duchess of Cornwall, who has a home in Reybridge near Lacock, was visibly thrilled to be back home and spent the morning being toured around the new arts centre.
The centre has undergone a £1.2 million refurbishment and is set to become a hub of entertainment and arts for the whole county.
On arrival, the duchess was presented with flowers from four-year-old Megan Moss, who is the granddaughter of former artistic director of the Pound Arts Trust, Gayle Curry-who died away last year.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Visit to Wiltshire
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall opened the Pound Arts Centre Corsham, Wiltshire.

Pictures:
The Duchess of Cornwall 1
The Duchess of Cornwall 2
The Duchess of Cornwall 3
The Duchess tries her hand at calligraphy
Calligraphy by the Duchess of Cornwall, reading Milla

Gallery of pictures from Polfoto
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Now that's an outfit! Loving the butterly brooch and especially loving the glasses.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Avalon for posting all the nice pics!
It is the first time we can see Camilla with glasses, isn´t it?

The Duchess of Cornwall opens an art centre in Corsham, Wiltshire
26th October

During the tour , The Duchess watched performances by young ballet dancers and a children´s drama class before trying her hand in calligraghy.

The Prince of Wales - The Duchess of Cornwall opens an art centre in Corsham, Wiltshire
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The Telegraph obituary of Major Bruce Shand covers his war service and exploits in detail.
Thank you so much for the article! I read extensively about the goings on with the Windsors about a decade ago and I'm rusty. I haven't kept up with the current goings-on except through a little here and there. This is lovely! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

The Duchess wearing glasses , some more pics:

Fotobanka isifa image service

When we will see her husband with glasses to read?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Those glasses are beautiful. She looks great with them. But she probably just needs them for reading or looking at something up close. It's so typical for people to need some kind of far-sighted correction as they age. People like me with near-sighted vision need either two pairs or bifocals as we age, but I'm not there yet, thank goodness.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Yeah, the glasses are perfectly for her! She really has a good optician. (I´m an optician too...) But, she has to adjust it a little
I think Charles wears glasses too. But his speeches are always written in big letters.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Royal Highness

She looks fantastic in glasses--I am always impressed with Camilla's style and presence. She looks perfect everytime (and I LOVE the hats!!!)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I nominate Jo or Sky for the task. They have the best way with words when it comes to He Who Has The Impeccable Source.
I feel the best course of action is to ignore the nasty piece of work, (not on here of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Lovely pictures everyone. I like the outfit and the specs, Come to think of it, I wouldn't say no to the brooch.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

That's about Charles' birthday, isn't it? (She runs off and looks it up. . .)

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall