The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 8: July-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. The same construction is used at the Netherlands Court: Princess Máxima uses a coiffeur or beautician on the same basis as the Duchess of Cornwall. (She needs a better one. Where Camilla looks impeccable, Máxima's hairdo often looks ravaged).

I assume that Queen Elizabeth has, like Queen Beatrix, a coiffeur and/or beautician in their paid service.

In the beginning I thought Camilla should get rid of that Farrah Fawcett-hairdo. But now, a few years on, I'm so used to this bouffante hairdo that is oh-so Camilla. I can not imagine her with any other hairstyle.

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
$6,000 a month is kind of steep! However, to a millionaire that's probably equivalent to me spending $100.00 a month.

$6,000 a month is kind of steep! However, to a millionaire that's probably equivalent to me spending $100.00 a month.

Well, we common folks use a hairdresser once in two months, let us say.
The Duchess probably 5 times a week, if not almost every day (or even twice a day).

That makes her bill more understandable.

Does anybody know if Camilla has ladies-in-waiting?

Does anybody know if Camilla has ladies-in-waiting?

Yes, the Duchess of Cornwall does have Ladies-in-waiting. She has at least 4 of them (I'm certian of that), although I assume there must be more.

But I don't think the duchess has formally apointed anyone as her ladies in waitings. From the annual reports, I find Amenda MacManus and Joy Camm as her assistants. I think they probabaly act as her ladies in Waiting from time to time. But I am not sure about Virginia Carington because she has got the position of Assistant Master of household. Who else can the candidates?

Does anybody know if the role of Lady in waiting is a paid role, and what it might involve?

Does anybody know if the role of Lady in waiting is a paid role, and what it might involve?

It varies from Court to Court: different names, different styles. Some Courts have abolished this function. Others still keep it in all splendour. As I'm a Dutchman I can give you the information with a Dutch eye:

In short you can say that a lady-in-waiting (this is the English term, in my country it is called Hofdame ("Dame of the Court") or Dame du Palais ("Dame of the Palace"). In French it is called Dame de Compagnie. In Belgium only Queen Fabiola has a real oldfashioned Lady in Waiting. Queen Paola gives various ladies for a day or an event the honour to accomoany her. These are called Eredame (Dame de Honneur), Lady of Honour. This is not the same as the British or Dutch Lady in Waiting.

These ladies are definitely no maids or servants. You could not insult them more.
:lol:

In the Netherlands, but also in the United Kingdom, these use to be ladies of certain descent, with an excellent standing in society. Often it are noble or patrician (upper class) ladies who are "approved company to Her Majesty", so to say.

In the Netherlands the Hofdames and Dames du Palais are not paid. Their expenses for their functioning and representation are met by The Queen. So you need to be financially independent. It is seen as an utmost honour to be asked (you don't apply, you are 'asked') for this position. After all, after the family, you are the closest as possible to the Sovereign.

It is a very high position at the Court. In the Netherlands (and I assume in the United Kingdom it is comparable) the ladies do not belong to the regular staff (= cooks, footmen, maids) but are part of the 'Household Honorair", and are led by the Grootmeesteres (Grandmastress, in the United Kingdom: Mistress of the Robes) who only has one boss: The Queen.

By the way: I thought that the Duchess has no own Lady in Waiting. In the Netherlands Princess Máxima, Camilla's equivalent so to say, also has no own lady of waiting. Instead one of the Queen's ladies is "detached into the service of Her Royal Highness".

I don't know how many ladies there are in the United Kingom. In the Netherlands there are 14 of them:
1 Grootmeesteres (Mistress of the Robes)
6 Hofdames (Ladies in Waiting)
3 Dames du Palais Honoraire (Ladies of the Bedchamber Honoraire*)
4 Hofdames Honoraire (Ladies in Waiting Honoraire*)
Probably this is a comparable figure in the United Kingdom. * Honoraire = former ladies who are no longer in the regular service but can still be requested for major events.

Hofdames used to be unmarried ladies, while Dames du Palais were married ladies. Now there is in fact no real difference: Dames du Palais now are senior Hofdames with a long record. They have a weekly shift, so that means once in the 5 à 6 weeks they are on duty. Their high position is illustrated by the fact that they have their own appartments inside the palace, do receive their own guests in their salons and travel together with The Queen, usually next to her (since Queen Beatrix is a widow, she has no accompany from her spouse).

The Grootmeesteres used to give her own New Year's reception for the Corps Diplomatique. But this has been abolished. The Grootmeesteres, the Hofdames and the Dames du Palais however do organize diners and receptions and act as the eyes and ears of The Queen. They also represent The Queen at weddings and funerals of important figures and keep in touch with the aristocracy.

I hope this gave enough insight.

Last edited:
It is a lot more formal in GB, I read for instance that the niece of Lord Kitchener, Emma Joy Kitchener lady in waiting is to Princess Michael of Kent (she is also the wife of actor Jullian Fellowes).
None of the Dutch princesses have ladies in waiting except Maxima.

It is an unpaid role, with an allowance being given for clothing, if required. Most of the LiW are financially secure either through birth or marriage.

I understood that Camilla has 2 secretarial assistants. :flowers:

It is a lot more formal in GB, I read for instance that the niece of Lord Kitchener, Emma Joy Kitchener lady in waiting is to Princess Michael of Kent (she is also the wife of actor Jullian Fellowes).
None of the Dutch princesses have ladies in waiting except Maxima.

The other Dutch Princesses do hardly have a full enough public and social agenda to have a Hofdame. They have a very lowkey role. But when they have a public event, you can also see a hofdame in their slipstream, next to the aide-de-camp, the secretary and the two or three bodyguards.

Thank you all very much for your very informative replies

Andrew was more than likely at the British Open golf championships in Scotland. It would take more than a sister-in-law's 60th to make him miss a British Open! :D

I thought maybe he was in St. Tropez with his favorite trio, but the British Open golf sounds as likely if not more so.

I've moved the derail about the survey showing that some expats don't want Camilla to be Queeen to part 3 of the Will Charles Ever Reign? thread; feel free to continue that conversation over there. And please let's get this thread back on topic.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
She really must be a talent. Prince Charles mentioned it in his last book. Would love to see her creations.

Me too. I hope that we can see her creations as well. Camilla often brings us some new surprises. I find her a very delightful person.

Well, since everyone seems to be hanging out in the "Should she or shouldn't she attend the memorial" thread :D I got a wild hair and decided to break some of the monotony. Charles and Camilla attended the service yesterday, I am assuming at Crathie Church, Balmoral. The Daily (or shall I say Dirty) Mail today has an article about her announcement re: the memorial, and included this wonderful pic of the Duchess. I couldn't care at all about what Mr. Kay or anyone else has to say about her announcement, but I thank them for this wonderful new picture of the Duchess.
Enjoy
And if you want, for whatever reason, you can read the article.... :neutral:
the Rubbish Mail

Re: wonderful new picture of the Duchess

Usual well-kept face of an British aging lady that perfectly matches her spouse ... Nothing spectacular...

Thank you for the pic, CasiraghiTrio! :flowers:
(Not possible, but there are some people who really like to see a ´British aging Lady that perpectly matches her spouse´... How odd is that?:cool:)

to milla Ca

Thank you for the pic, CasiraghiTrio! :flowers:
(Not possible, but there are some people who really like to see a ´British aging Lady that perpectly matches her spouse´... How odd is that?:cool:)

It is my personal (i.e., subjective) observation. Why should it be odd? What way does it offend anyone?
I have really bad luck communicating with people from Germany.

It is my personal (i.e., subjective) observation. Why should it be odd? What way does it offend anyone?
I have really bad luck communicating with people from Germany.

It´s okay if you don´t like my post. But please don´t transfer this to ´people of Germany´. Nobody here is a ambassador for a country!:flowers:

easily done, an adoring husband and quite a pleasant life meeting lots of interesting people and having the power to do good. Life is peachy for the Duchess :flowers:

Thank you for the lovely picture, she seems to be bearing up and as usual, looks wonderful. :flowers:

Thank you for the lovely picture, she seems to be bearing up and as usual, looks wonderful. :flowers:

You're welcome. It's too bad we can't see Charles too, but ah well. I guess it's too much to expect. After all, the Dirty Mail wants to make Camilla into some kind of poster girl for all the problems.

Usual well-kept face of an British aging lady that perfectly matches her spouse ... Nothing spectacular...

If you want to see a lady making a spectacle out of herself, you won't find that in Camilla's thread, you'll have to look elsewhere. Maybe a celebrity forum would be a better place for that.

thanks for the news update, milla Ca. Yes, life goes on, better day will come...I am looking forward to Charles's and Camilla's future events and their joint events......By the way, Camilla returned to her old school place again? wow.....Queen’s Gate School? She will be certainly warmly welcomed. :wub:

Gossip colums are coming....
Camilla to take solo break
The Sun Online - Royals: Camilla to take solo break

Furious Camilla flees Britain without Charles after Diana memorial furore
Furious Camilla flees Britain without Charles after Diana memorial furore | the Daily Mail

After one month with her husband and her husband's family in Scotland, won't it be a good idea to have a holiday to feel the sunshine and the sea breeze with the companion of her close friends? Seriously I don't think Prince Charles and Camilla had much rows about the matter. It is true that both of them need to take some heat off because Diana's his ex-wife and the mother of his sons. I would rather think Camilla understands him enough to give him some time and space to reflect his feelings at this moment and refresh his life. Camilla need it too so she is going out with her friends and leave him with his friends or enjoy himself in the period of slience and solitude. It is what Charles wants and Camilla gives him that. That's all. Have a good holday and this is what I think.

I do expect that: The D.... Mail and other tabloids need new bad stuff about Charles and Camilla. So the next months we will read that their marriage is on the rocks...:bang:
The good thing is we also can ignore their gossip....;)...or laugh about it:lol:

Just a reminder that this thread is for the Duchess's current events, not to rehash the Diana memorial issue and its newspaper coverage.

Thanks

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom