The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Either the public will or won't accept her. That is their prerogative.
You seem to think that "the public" is one person with fixed opinions. In fact the public is a mass of people with diverse interests and ever changing opinions which can be manipulated and constantly is. So any gesture for Camilla may change the opinion of some members of the public and thus start a process towards the positive.

IMHO it is ridiculous that two elderly people who are in love and are married have to face so much negative media manipulations based on old clichés. Well, they were young once and the Waleses marriage was not all the time a cozy two-some but sometimes more than "a bit crowded" but give especially Camilla a rest. And an order to wear with pride!

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Gentry

camilla will be queen when she is....

Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not sure I'd call the Prince and the Duchess "elderly"!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I'm not sure I'd call the Prince and the Duchess "elderly"!
I wouldn't, and I'm quite sure my husband wouldn't, since he's the same age as Camilla!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
You seem to think that "the public" is one person with fixed opinions. In fact the public is a mass of people with diverse interests and ever changing opinions which can be manipulated and constantly is. So any gesture for Camilla may change the opinion of some members of the public and thus start a process towards the positive.

IMHO it is ridiculous that two elderly people who are in love and are married have to face so much negative media manipulations based on old clichés. Well, they were young once and the Waleses marriage was not all the time a cozy two-some but sometimes more than "a bit crowded" but give especially Camilla a rest. And an order to wear with pride!
They certainly are not elderly. And, yes, the public, is not one person, but less than a third, 28% approved of her becoming queen. Those are hardly outstanding numbers. I just said, it doesn't matter. She will be queen by virtue of to whom she is married, whether the public likes it or not. Also, this thought that the "public" is always manipulated by the press is ridiculous. As they have many diverse "interests and opinions", the "public" will make their decisions on their own. Just because some believe that the press sways all is downright silly. Most can form their own opinions, even after reading an article, pro or con.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I just read the Mandrake column in The Telegraph, and it's interesting that this came up. I saw Patrick Jephson talking on TV about how the Diana memorial revealed discord in the C-C marriage. The first question I had was, how would he know since he's frozen out? (But possibly he has people that would still talk to him.)

Of course, Patrick told the TV interviewer he didn't know why he had been excluded from the memorial (and what had he ever done to make the royals dislike him?). Can you say, "I wrote a book and exploited the Princess"??
Old 09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Royal Highness

I find it interesting that NONE of her daughters-in-law over the years have ever received any orders save for Diana's family one and Sophie's family and St. John ones.. none with sashes either. BUT..the Duchess of Gloucester has several...which I am sure are well deserved.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I just read the Mandrake column in The Telegraph, and it's interesting that this came up. I saw Patrick Jephson talking on TV about how the Diana memorial revealed discord in the C-C marriage. The first question I had was, how would he know since he's frozen out? (But possibly he has people that would still talk to him.)
Blatherer. He had read it in the Daily Mail...
And if there is discord in the marriage they will come through it well and very soon.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen View Post
And if there is discord in the marriage they will come through it well and very soon.
I agree. They've been apart while Camilla's away with her friends, and I'm sure they've missed each other and that we'll see some happy pics of them together soon.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I find it interesting that NONE of her daughters-in-law over the years have ever received any orders save for Diana's family one and Sophie's family and St. John ones.. none with sashes either. BUT..the Duchess of Gloucester has several...which I am sure are well deserved.
A look at who's got/had "what"...

Princess Alexandra

LG - Lady of the Order of the Garter
GCVO - Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
FOGVI - Family Order of George VI
FOEII - Family Order of Elizabeth II

Duchess of Kent

GCVO - Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order

Duchess of Gloucester

GCVO - Dame Grand Cross of thE Royal Victorian Order
DStJ - Dame of the Order of St. John
GCStJ - Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St. John

Countess of Wessex

DStJ - Dame of the Order of St. John

The late Diana, Princess of Wales

Princess Michael

Duchess of Cornwall (?)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

If I remember right, the Duchess of Gloucester didn't get her GCVO till she'd been married something like 15 years, so Camilla has a while to wait...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 AM

I think the Queen gives the family order out to those she thinks will last longer than a summer season. We all knew that Fergie was about as welcome as the clap at a tart's tea party so she didn't get the Order. Diana got it because it was assumed she'd be Queen. So it won't be too long before Camilla gets something I'm sure. At least it better not be.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Will the Duchess attend the State Opening of Parliament? She might be wearing the RFO to this event. Or to the service for the diamond anniversary.
This would be a good year for the Duchess to have it. Diana had it by the time she was married to Charles for two years; I think Diana got it in 1983, right? So it might be this year for Camilla.

Does Camilla go back to UK this weekend? Her cruise is only for one week, I think?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM

The Queen and DoE have been unaccompanied for the past few years. There was a time when we saw such glittery presences as Princess Margaret and the Duchess of Gloucester in full regalia but now it's two Ladies in Waiting and that's your lot. It would be nice to see Camilla there of course. The Service for the 60th wedding will be a church do so no honours worn for ladies.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
We all knew that Fergie was about as welcome as the clap at a tart's tea party....
I thought "Fergie" was well-liked by just about everyone, including the Queen, at first. Weren't the Fergusons like old friends of the family, especially Prince Charles and HM? And "Fergie" liked to go riding with HM, and Charles asked Diana to be "more like Fergie", please? It seems like she was welcome into the family in the beginning, and was enthusiastically embraced. Or else this was only my mistaken impression.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Maybe it was just the public who couldn't stomach her. I was sure the RF felt the same way but you never know. I doubt Charles asked Diana to be more like DoP, one ginger embarrassment with zero fashion sense was quite enough for the Windsors during the 80s. It was wierd how she never got the family order. I think we will see Camilla sporting one at the next state banquet she attends, it's been 2 years after all.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I was sure the RF felt the same way but you never know. I doubt Charles asked Diana to be more like DoP, one ginger embarrassment with zero fashion sense was quite enough for the Windsors during the 80s.
I can imagine Charles asking Diana that in 1986 or 1987 (which is the alleged time frame for this story). Diana was at a particular low point in these years with her bulimia and depression, both illnesses I believe Prince Charles was ill-prepared for and ill-equipped for dealing with. I am sure these things exasperated him, and he must have felt more at ease in this timeframe around the thoroughly less complicated "Fergie".
But I think you're right about "Fergie" losing respect in the royal family once her public embarrassments stockpiled. At first, they liked her for her "breath of fresh air" but then she lost her head, began cavorting with the Wyatts of Texas, and other such tacky rich, and everything went careening out of control toward the ultimate crash: the "toe sucking" incident!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Royal Highness

What is the "Dame of the Order of St. John"?
I do think that now, especially after all of this memorial mess, is the time to give the future Queen her FOEII. Didn't Diana get hers 18 months after her marriage?
On another note, when the receiver of the order dies, does the piece go back to the Queen or do members of the family get to keep it as a keepsake (even though they can't wear it?)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM

The Venerable Order of St John of Jerusalem is a Christian chivalric order/organisation that aids the St John's Ambulance.

As to what happens with insignia, it's usually displayed somewhere near the coffin and then goes back into the vaults to be used again when the holder is well and truly gawn.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

i actually think it says alot about her capicity for friendship and relationships, in the only negative i read about is made up stories to sell tabs. friends, family and foes tend to crawl out of the woodwork once there's $$$$ to be made. the fact her children, family and friends aren't cashing in imho is because they love and respect her, that tells me all i need to know- that she is cared enough about to be protected (clarence house advisors aside) by those closest to her. this trip is just another chance to take a swipe at camilla, those that are underestimating her..... well just say i can't wait to watch them fall.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall