The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Royal Highness

Interesting. The same construction is used at the Netherlands Court: Princess Máxima uses a coiffeur or beautician on the same basis as the Duchess of Cornwall. (She needs a better one. Where Camilla looks impeccable, Máxima's hairdo often looks ravaged).

I assume that Queen Elizabeth has, like Queen Beatrix, a coiffeur and/or beautician in their paid service.

In the beginning I thought Camilla should get rid of that Farrah Fawcett-hairdo. But now, a few years on, I'm so used to this bouffante hairdo that is oh-so Camilla. I can not imagine her with any other hairstyle.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
$6,000 a month is kind of steep! However, to a millionaire that's probably equivalent to me spending $100.00 a month.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
$6,000 a month is kind of steep! However, to a millionaire that's probably equivalent to me spending $100.00 a month.
Well, we common folks use a hairdresser once in two months, let us say.
The Duchess probably 5 times a week, if not almost every day (or even twice a day).

That makes her bill more understandable.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

yet another misleading headline, he can't be working for Camilla full time if he is dealing with other clients!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Majesty

Does anybody know if Camilla has ladies-in-waiting?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Does anybody know if Camilla has ladies-in-waiting?
Yes, the Duchess of Cornwall does have Ladies-in-waiting. She has at least 4 of them (I'm certian of that), although I assume there must be more.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Courtier

But I don't think the duchess has formally apointed anyone as her ladies in waitings. From the annual reports, I find Amenda MacManus and Joy Camm as her assistants. I think they probabaly act as her ladies in Waiting from time to time. But I am not sure about Virginia Carington because she has got the position of Assistant Master of household. Who else can the candidates?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Majesty

Does anybody know if the role of Lady in waiting is a paid role, and what it might involve?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Does anybody know if the role of Lady in waiting is a paid role, and what it might involve?
It varies from Court to Court: different names, different styles. Some Courts have abolished this function. Others still keep it in all splendour. As I'm a Dutchman I can give you the information with a Dutch eye:

In short you can say that a lady-in-waiting (this is the English term, in my country it is called Hofdame ("Dame of the Court") or Dame du Palais ("Dame of the Palace"). In French it is called Dame de Compagnie. In Belgium only Queen Fabiola has a real oldfashioned Lady in Waiting. Queen Paola gives various ladies for a day or an event the honour to accomoany her. These are called Eredame (Dame de Honneur), Lady of Honour. This is not the same as the British or Dutch Lady in Waiting.

These ladies are definitely no maids or servants. You could not insult them more.

In the Netherlands, but also in the United Kingdom, these use to be ladies of certain descent, with an excellent standing in society. Often it are noble or patrician (upper class) ladies who are "approved company to Her Majesty", so to say.

In the Netherlands the Hofdames and Dames du Palais are not paid. Their expenses for their functioning and representation are met by The Queen. So you need to be financially independent. It is seen as an utmost honour to be asked (you don't apply, you are 'asked') for this position. After all, after the family, you are the closest as possible to the Sovereign.

It is a very high position at the Court. In the Netherlands (and I assume in the United Kingdom it is comparable) the ladies do not belong to the regular staff (= cooks, footmen, maids) but are part of the 'Household Honorair", and are led by the Grootmeesteres (Grandmastress, in the United Kingdom: Mistress of the Robes) who only has one boss: The Queen.

By the way: I thought that the Duchess has no own Lady in Waiting. In the Netherlands Princess Máxima, Camilla's equivalent so to say, also has no own lady of waiting. Instead one of the Queen's ladies is "detached into the service of Her Royal Highness".

I don't know how many ladies there are in the United Kingom. In the Netherlands there are 14 of them:
1 Grootmeesteres (Mistress of the Robes)
6 Hofdames (Ladies in Waiting)
3 Dames du Palais Honoraire (Ladies of the Bedchamber Honoraire*)
4 Hofdames Honoraire (Ladies in Waiting Honoraire*)
Probably this is a comparable figure in the United Kingdom. * Honoraire = former ladies who are no longer in the regular service but can still be requested for major events.

Hofdames used to be unmarried ladies, while Dames du Palais were married ladies. Now there is in fact no real difference: Dames du Palais now are senior Hofdames with a long record. They have a weekly shift, so that means once in the 5 à 6 weeks they are on duty. Their high position is illustrated by the fact that they have their own appartments inside the palace, do receive their own guests in their salons and travel together with The Queen, usually next to her (since Queen Beatrix is a widow, she has no accompany from her spouse).

The Grootmeesteres used to give her own New Year's reception for the Corps Diplomatique. But this has been abolished. The Grootmeesteres, the Hofdames and the Dames du Palais however do organize diners and receptions and act as the eyes and ears of The Queen. They also represent The Queen at weddings and funerals of important figures and keep in touch with the aristocracy.

I hope this gave enough insight.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is a lot more formal in GB, I read for instance that the niece of Lord Kitchener, Emma Joy Kitchener lady in waiting is to Princess Michael of Kent (she is also the wife of actor Jullian Fellowes).
None of the Dutch princesses have ladies in waiting except Maxima.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It is an unpaid role, with an allowance being given for clothing, if required. Most of the LiW are financially secure either through birth or marriage.

I understood that Camilla has 2 secretarial assistants.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
It is a lot more formal in GB, I read for instance that the niece of Lord Kitchener, Emma Joy Kitchener lady in waiting is to Princess Michael of Kent (she is also the wife of actor Jullian Fellowes).
None of the Dutch princesses have ladies in waiting except Maxima.
The other Dutch Princesses do hardly have a full enough public and social agenda to have a Hofdame. They have a very lowkey role. But when they have a public event, you can also see a hofdame in their slipstream, next to the aide-de-camp, the secretary and the two or three bodyguards.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Majesty

Thank you all very much for your very informative replies
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Andrew was more than likely at the British Open golf championships in Scotland. It would take more than a sister-in-law's 60th to make him miss a British Open!
I thought maybe he was in St. Tropez with his favorite trio, but the British Open golf sounds as likely if not more so.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've moved the derail about the survey showing that some expats don't want Camilla to be Queeen to part 3 of the Will Charles Ever Reign? thread; feel free to continue that conversation over there. And please let's get this thread back on topic.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&ito=newsnow

Camilla came in second in Scottish Roses competition for flower arranging. I heard she was good. I would love to see some of her arrangements

Can anyone find pictures of the winning arrrangements?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Courtier

She really must be a talent. Prince Charles mentioned it in his last book. Would love to see her creations.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Me too. I hope that we can see her creations as well. Camilla often brings us some new surprises. I find her a very delightful person.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Well, since everyone seems to be hanging out in the "Should she or shouldn't she attend the memorial" thread I got a wild hair and decided to break some of the monotony. Charles and Camilla attended the service yesterday, I am assuming at Crathie Church, Balmoral. The Daily (or shall I say Dirty) Mail today has an article about her announcement re: the memorial, and included this wonderful pic of the Duchess. I couldn't care at all about what Mr. Kay or anyone else has to say about her announcement, but I thank them for this wonderful new picture of the Duchess.
Enjoy
And if you want, for whatever reason, you can read the article....
the Rubbish Mail
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Majesty

Re: wonderful new picture of the Duchess

Usual well-kept face of an British aging lady that perfectly matches her spouse ... Nothing spectacular...

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall