The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 8: July-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although this discussion is perhaps more fit for the Title for Camilla thread, I will give my opinion.

Monarchy is not a celebrity contest, Kings and Queens are not chosen based on popularity and votes. It's an institution that has its traditions and rules. One of the most important and ancient traditions states: the wife of the King should be Queen.
Why should this be changed? Regardless whether the Duchess is thought 'worth' of becoming a Queen, she is the wife of the future King, and thus, when Prince Charles becomes King, she should be Queen.
Many consorts were much less worth of becoming Queens, and yet they did (some as unpopular as possible).

Either make Camilla a Queen, or change the rule and make all future Consorts of the Kings Princess Consorts. Otherwise it's simply offensive, unnecessary and ridiculous to make exclusively Camilla a Princess Concsort. And it doesn't matter whether the polls say only 1% of people want her to be Crowned, or 100% of people think she Empress of the Universe - there is a law, a tradition and precedent.

If we can't have a Queen Camilla then let's have a President. Frankly if we're going to sod about with the monarchy based on popularity then it's outlived it's usefulness.

Camilla is going to become Queen, personally do I want to see Camilla become queen HELL NO but she will if Charles ascends the throne. How long will Clarence House keep up this charade of Camilla becoming Princess Consort?

I've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts, just in case anyone's wondering why this thread has shrunk.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

We have Birthday and Anniversary wishes thread, to wish a very happy birthday to our Duchess (or other members of the Royal Family).
Please, post your Birthday wishes there. :)

News and pictures from the event should be posted in regular threads.

Last edited:
Britain Warming to idea of Queen Camilla
ROYALTY? CAMILLA'S JUST AN ESSEX GIRL.
In from the Cold
Three very good articles, but I am wondering why the Mirror seems to have this thing against 'Essex girls'. I have known quite a few and they have all been very really nice people. Does it matter if some of her ancestors were working class, a lot of the aristocracy achieved their titles through having the biggest army willing to use and abuse anyone. :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday Camilla!

Three very good articles, but I am wondering why the Mirror seems to have this thing against 'Essex girls'. I have known quite a few and they have all been very really nice people. Does it matter if some of her ancestors were working class, a lot of the aristocracy achieved their titles through having the biggest army willing to use and abuse anyone. :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday Camilla!

Wondering about the Mirror?The very last thing to do with a rag I'd say.

HRH and The Prince of Wales will be in Bromham,Wiltshire today,celebrating the village's success in the Calor Village of the Year 2006/2007
:flowers:

Happy Birthday Camilla!

Probably this story will make her even more popular with most Britons... she is already seen as a down-to-earth addition to the Royal family and is getting more and more loved because of it! :flowers:

The Duchess of Cornwall does not want the title Queen, it emerged today.

Camilla, who is 60 today, has told close friends she wants to be known as the princess consort when Prince Charles becomes king.

Camilla: 'I don't want to be Queen' | the Daily Mail

Now which unnamed close friends would they be? :rolleyes::lol:

Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth will have to consent to any change to the statutory title and style of the monarchy, which means Camilla will be Queen unless the Prime Minister can muster the support necessary to pass legislation stating otherwise.

It may be possible to do so, but we'll have to wait and see if they are willing when the time comes.

Hello celebrates Camilla's birthday with a special. They have some wonderful old & new pictures.
As she turns 60, hellomagazine.com celebrates the Duchess of Cornwall's remarkable transformation into a key member of the Royal Family and one of its most stylish representatives.

1. Always cheerful and in a blooming mood, the Duchess of Cornwall turned to be a real asset for the Royal Family

2. She has, of course, been supported and championed by her husband Prince Charles, who made it clear from the start that their relationship was "non-negotiable"

3. As her country's future queen, Camilla has had to adapt to life in the public eye. But while many could have been intimidated by the challenge, the fourth highest-ranking female royal after the Queen has taken to her role with ease

4. Not only has she charmed the British people, but she has been a popular visitor on overseas tours where her warm personality is always evident

5. Carrying out her Royal duties with great dignity, the Duchess is also famous for her common touch, never hesitating to try feed she is offered on her visits, or even help preparing them

6. On overseas tours she looks to her experienced traveller husband for guidance, while she "gives him a sense of purpose", says one royal photographer. "He is incredibly proud of her and caring"

7. Their team approach to royal duties has brought a new sense of fun and laughter to their working life

8. The duo's affection for each other seems to grow by the day...

9. ...as does their joie de vivre. The sense of fun which has delighted royal watchers is never far from the surface

10. Camilla has added a lighter note to their shared official duties. On this occasion she teasingly donned the dark green gloves intended for her husband - leaving an amused Charles to get down to his planting duties in a lavender-hued pair

11. And the Duchess seems to have brought out Charles' mischevious side

12. The Queen's eldest son clearly cherishes his wife and is unfailingly attentive, whether helping her over rocky ground or tucking a mac around her knees to keep her warm

13. "The effect of her on Charles can be summed up in one word: happiness," says one of the couple's friends

14. After her marriage Camilla took on a new level of confidence and poise which enabled her to mix comfortably with other royals, such as Norway's Queen Sonja

15. And it isn't only with kings and queens Camilla seems to feel at home these days. She's clearly equally at ease with screen royalty, like Meryl Streep

16. Camilla, a country girl at heart, was something of a tomboy when she was younger, according to her school pals. A dog-breeder and keen equestrian, she shares her love of the outdoors with Charles

17. Camilla, who is mother to Tom and Laura, is also stepmum to Princes William and Harry, to whose lives she has contributed a supportive element. "She's ideal as a stepmother because of her nature - you can always have a laugh with her," says her niece Emma Parker Bowles

18. Despite the complexity which in the past has surrounded their father's relationship with Camilla, his boys have been open in showing their affection for her

19. The mum-of-two is described by those who know her as down-to-earth and hilarious company

20. Whether sampling a pint at the pub or tucking into food with gusto, she appears to remain charmingly free of airs and graces

21. Since becoming the Prince of Wales' consort she has swapped her comfy country wardrobe for impeccably polished style - often drawing on the services of top milliner Philip Treacy

22. It was clear a new fashion era had begun for Camilla when she made a picture perfect appearance on her April 9, 2005, wedding day

23. "The Duchess knows what she likes," says her favourite designer Anna Valentine. "It can't be too fussy. She likes something understated and well-tailored... Nothing too flouncy"

24. And if her popularity during the couple's regular walkabouts is anything to go by it seems her unforced cheeriness, sense of humour, unassuming ways and elegant style have won over not only the heir to the throne but his future subjects too

Avalon,
What lovely pictures! I very much enjoyed them, and thank you for posting them. I got a nice laugh of the one with Charles in the lavendar gloves--what a charming couple!
Also, Skydragon, I also would love to know who these "unnamed sources" are who claim Camilla doesn't want to be Queen. For a lady who truly wants to be supportive of her husband it seems a little unlikely that she would want to force Parliament to make an exception for her-and for a husband who clearly adores his wife it seems a little odd that he would allow it. And, with public opinion obviously changing more favorably towards Camilla it seems less likely that there would be opposition to her coronation alongside Charles'. The article sounds like rubbish to me.

The process needed to create The Duchess, Princess Consort, probably sounds more strenuous than what it actually is, or shall be.

If at the time they wish to go ahead with it, then no doubt they shall.

We'll just have to wait and see :)

While I acknowledge that the world would have been a much duller place without the first Princess of Wales, I am just struck, while looking at Hello's photo retrospective, at how happy the P of W and D of C seem to be together. Such a shame it's taken this long for them (or us perhaps) to get to this point of happiness and acceptance in respect to their relationship.

I like very much your job Avalon!!! congratulations... especialy the most romantic... they look so happy and fall in love!!!! I think she was win the england hearts

Thank you for posting this gallery, Avalon. I really enjoyed it.

The gallery is nice Camilla is looking very well.

Such a shame it's taken this long for them (or us perhaps) to get to this point of happiness and acceptance in respect to their relationship.

Well said. I agree.

A few years ago, I never thought I would hear myself say this but..."I like Camilla more and more everyday!":)

Thank you, Avalon, for those pictures. I really needed that after reading that nasty article from the Daily Mail! Oh that article made me so mad! I sent a comment to that nasty woman. I know they won't publish it because it was too critical, but oh that article was horrible! :bang:

I read the 'nasty' article in the Daily Mail and did, I confess, laugh quite frequently throughout. Not at the article itself, as to some degree I can understand the point she is making and there are alot of people who no doubt feel the same. But whilst you get articles where people agree, you will always get articles where people don't, it's that simple. Both have as much right to express their opnion, whether we all agree or not.

But, things like her comparison to Charles and Dobby the House Elf in Harry Potter :lol::lol:

Poor Charles! He ain't that bad.

Thank you, Avalon, for those pictures. I really needed that after reading that nasty article from the Daily Mail! Oh that article made me so mad! I sent a comment to that nasty woman. I know they won't publish it because it was too critical, but oh that article was horrible! :bang:

Which article is that? Edit: found it: Camilla deserves to feel guilty at Diana's memorial | the Daily Mail It is rather sad when strangers don't want to allow the family of a desceased lady to move on and be happy....

Last edited:
Avalon,
What lovely pictures! I very much enjoyed them, and thank you for posting them. I got a nice laugh of the one with Charles in the lavendar gloves--what a charming couple!
Also, Skydragon, I also would love to know who these "unnamed sources" are who claim Camilla doesn't want to be Queen. For a lady who truly wants to be supportive of her husband it seems a little unlikely that she would want to force Parliament to make an exception for her-and for a husband who clearly adores his wife it seems a little odd that he would allow it. And, with public opinion obviously changing more favorably towards Camilla it seems less likely that there would be opposition to her coronation alongside Charles'. The article sounds like rubbish to me.

It's interesting that we only ever find such articles in the "Mail". KLay's comments, the article about how she should feel guilty, now they remind all and sundry that Camilla does not want to be queen... What a cheap concept. I wonder who falls for that stuff?

After reading that nasty article I sent a comment to the DM in Camilla's favor, but it wasn't published.

I can see why some Diana fans would resent Camilla's presence at the memorial service, but if Diana's sons (who organized the service) invited her, why should people who don't even know Camilla have any say in the matter? Those who don't like it can organize their own Diana memorial event and snub Camilla.

I don't think much of the DM any more -- not since last year's article which claimed that Charles was "fuming" while Camilla "jumped ship". (Photos and video showed Charles kissing Camilla goodbye, then smiling and waving from the ship.)

If I were Camilla I'd tell them where to go and not attend. All this, "She shouldn't", "She must", "She can't", "She will" - stuff 'em. What's the point in hanging around like a fart in a phone box at some dirge of an event nobody much cares about anyway?

After reading that nasty article I sent a comment to the DM in Camilla's favor, but it wasn't published.

I sent comments after reading all these silly articles of Kay frequently. Always polite and with arguments, but they never published them.
The only thing you can do: Ignore this Dirty Mail, or laugh about so much rubbish!

On- duty Camilla enjoys fun-filled 60th birthday despite showers

On-duty Camilla enjoys fun-filled 60th birthday despite showers

Hello celebrates Camilla's birthday with a special.
Thank you for posting all these lovely pictures, it is remarkable how much she has blosomed in such a short time and how happy she makes her prince! :wub:
jcbcode99 said:
I also would love to know who these "unnamed sources" are who claim Camilla doesn't want to be Queen.....
The article sounds like rubbish to me
The ubiquitous unnamed friend, source, royal coutier, etc, etc.... What can we expect from the Mail, who once again plumb the depths. Of course the article is rubbish, any paper that censors it's readers comments is not really worth bothering with.
Still I'm told it is softer than Izal toilet paper! :ROFLMAO:

LOL. Good ol' Izal. I buy that purely for nostalgic value but there's something about it. It has a nicer smell than the Daily Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom