The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cornwall current events 8: July 10, 2007 - Sept 7, 2007

Arms of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

Welcome to Part 8 of the current events of
the Duchess of Cornwall

it commences on July 10, 2007

Part 7, covering the period from May 4 to July 10, 2007
can be found here

Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

So, I've been reading Richard Kay's article about Camilla's need for advice as to whether she should attend Diana's memorial.

New cancer agony for Camilla's ex | the Daily Mail

I think it's up to Diana's sons as to whether she should attend. And if she doesn't show up, it will be interpreted as a snub to Diana's memory (and everybody would be talking about it -- she'd be what we in the U.S. call "the elephant in the room"). But if she does show up, it will be the same thing, "how dare Camilla show her face here". Camilla really can't win in the court of public opinion.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM

She is attending. Isn't she? So what's the issue?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't think there should be an issue, BeatrixFan. Harry and William obviously put her on the list... therefore, she should go.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Royal Highness

Princes William and Harry have made it pretty clear that they are pleased with HRH The Duchess of Cornwall as their step-mother, and they are thrilled (their own words) that she makes their father happy as well. Camilla has been invited to the memorial, so if the children of Princess Diana have no problem with Camilla's presence at the memorial, why are we even discussing it? It's a non-issue if we look at it from Prince Willliam and Prince Harry's point of view.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Camilla was invited by both princes and I don't see the problem. Wouldn't it be insulting to them if she didn't? It's the haters that won't let Diana rest in peace. The gesture surely shows that the princes harbour no hate; Camilla is a beloved member of their family. They hold no resentment and it's about time the public followed suit.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Kay seems to just be trying to rally the Diana faithful and stir up feelings against Camilla in that article. I hope people see it for what it really is.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

I added a comment to that article of his, complimenting him on a nice hatchet job. Wonder if they'll print it....
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

My friends and I have sent 3 since the article went online, but they seem reluctant to put any positive comments on Camilla going. They were all polite!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interesting. So as well as publishing biased articles, they're censoring comments so that only one side is heard. Very impressive

Well, TRF has a wide circulation too, so people reading this thread will know what the Mail is up to, if they didn't already.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Add me to the censored opinions list - I've sent an opinion (definitely polite and nice) and it was not published as well. That's what I call censorship!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Aristocracy

Nice article on Camilla.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ma...camilla111.xml
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

A very interesting article, thank you cde.

Quote:
If there's any strategy, it seems to consist of harnessing qualities she already has: warmth, good humour, unforced cheerfulness, and an ability to tease the Prince of Wales out of his grumps.
'It is famously said of the Prince of Wales that he was born with a headache," says their biographer, Gyles Brandreth. "If so, she is his daily Anadin.
I love this quote, Royal Anadin.
Warm, humourous, cheerful - that's what I think of the Duchess and that's what I see everyday on her official engagements.

Quote:
The effect of her on Charles can be summed up in one word: happiness," says one of their friends. "He is a very happy man and he obviously was not before. I was full of admiration for what Diana did but they were not suited and were not happy together, probably ever.
And this summarizes pretty much what personally I think of Charles, Camilla & Diana.

Quote:
None of their friends thinks she will have any qualms about it. "If that's want the boys want, I'm sure she'll be happy to go," said Brandreth.
And another quote about the Diana Memorial Service I completely agree with: if William and Harry invited her, then they wanted her to be there. If that's what they want, she will be happy to support them to the best of their abilities.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

A very nice article (finally!) about HRH. THe fact that public opinion has changed so greatly is a testament to the person Camilla actually is--not the evil personna that she was made out to be. Kudos to Camilla!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
" The more sensitive issue is the Coronation. It would be perfectly possible to have a Coronation in which she would have a role of some kind but would not be crowned Queen. She would stand there in the same way as the Duke of Edinburgh did."
That's interesting. Is it saying that she could be Queen but choose not to be crowned?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you cde for posting this article!
After all that rubbish from the Daily Mail, it soothes my troubled soul...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the suggestion that Camilla be present at the Coronation of Charles but not be crowned herself (like the Duke of Edinburgh) is probably the most sensible middle ground to be found. What do others think?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
Nice article on Camilla.

Telegraph newspaper online
It is a very nice article, thanks cde.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

at last a good, nice en well informed article about our Dear Duchess...Richard Kay should read it.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the suggestion that Camilla be present at the Coronation of Charles but not be crowned herself (like the Duke of Edinburgh) is probably the most sensible middle ground to be found. What do others think?
If Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth agree to pass legislation stating Camilla will not hold the style, title and rank of Queen Consort, but instead be created HRH The Princess Consort by The Sovereign, then a role similar to Prince Philip's would be appropriate at the Coronation.

If not, then she will be crowned Queen Consort right after Charles is crowned King.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall