The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
That's interesting. Is it saying that she could be Queen but choose not to be crowned?
Which is ridiculous and unlikely to happen. If she is Queen, then she will be crowned Queen like her predecessors were at the Coronation.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Royal Highness

Wives take the title of the husband, do they not? We had Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mother), and countless Queen Consorts before them. Why would there be such a break in precedence? Because of Diana? By then it won't really matter that much. I think the whole Princess Consort title is ridiculous, and I also think a lesser title is an insult. She will be as much a queen as any other Queen Consort by law (unless Parliament changes something--which they likely won't). And why would she choose not to be crowned? I can't see anyone choosing not to be crowned. Do we think that Prince William's wife, upon his ascension to the throne, would want to just be known as something else? Probably not. THe relationship between Charles and Camilla needs to be respected and acknowledged--that includes Camilla becoming HRH Queen Camilla upon King Charles III's ascension to the throne. Until then, God Save the Queen. (Even though I'm not technically British my grandparents were so I claim it).

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
That's interesting. Is it saying that she could be Queen but choose not to be crowned?
It is very interesting I find that idea to be very sensible.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Royal Highness

Why it´s finally acceptable for me to share Camilla´s name
July 15, by Camilla Tominey

If i had a pound for every joker who has asked if my surname is Parker Bowles or enquired after Prince Charles, i´d almost as rich as him.

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Why it's finally acceptable for me to share Camilla's name
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Sorry but how can not crowning our Queen possibly be a good idea? It's an idiotic idea thought up by the uneducated and pretentious. She will be Queen and what's more she'll wear a Queen's crown. And that my dears, is that.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles's wife has much to celebrate at 60

What a difference a decade has made for Camilla, once reviled as the mistress blamed for breaking up the fairytale marriage of Princess Diana to heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles

Prince Charles's wife has much to celebrate at 60 - Yahoo! India News
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Courtier

WHY IT'S FINALLY ACCEPTABLE FOR ME TO SHARE CAMILLA'S NAME

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/13530/Why-it's-finally-acceptable-for-me-to-share-Camilla's-name

The Windsor Dynasty turns 90 (1917,7,17)
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/Ken/070715.html

what a coincidence!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla gaining more acceptance at 60

Camilla gaining more acceptance at 60 : thewest.com.au
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Sorry but how can not crowning our Queen possibly be a good idea? It's an idiotic idea thought up by the uneducated and pretentious. She will be Queen and what's more she'll wear a Queen's crown. And that my dears, is that.
=======================

There is no doubt that a queen ought to be crowned. However, as public opinion currently stands, the vast majority of Britons do not find Camilla suitable to be Queen Consort - which is why the "Princess Consort" title was cooked up by Clarence House. Whilst I personally accept that Camilla will make a good Queen, I cannot see Charles and Buck House be willing to go against such strong public opinion.

I think there is a degree of duplicity in the public´s view of how politicians and the BRF are expected to behave - in a country where about 1/3 of all children are born outside wedlock, I can´t see why Camilla can´t be Queen - but lets not forget the monarchy exists because the public want it to, and the day they decide against it, Buckingham Palace will become an amusement park. Charles ought to be wise enough to understand this, and not force a Queen Camilla unless people want it.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
However, as public opinion currently stands, the vast majority of Britons do not find Camilla suitable to be Queen Consort.
Do you have any recent evidence of this statement? The only recent poll I have seen is the one in the 'Diana Express', where members of the Diana fan club could phone/vote online as many times as they wanted.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Although this discussion is perhaps more fit for the Title for Camilla thread, I will give my opinion.

Monarchy is not a celebrity contest, Kings and Queens are not chosen based on popularity and votes. It's an institution that has its traditions and rules. One of the most important and ancient traditions states: the wife of the King should be Queen.
Why should this be changed? Regardless whether the Duchess is thought 'worth' of becoming a Queen, she is the wife of the future King, and thus, when Prince Charles becomes King, she should be Queen.
Many consorts were much less worth of becoming Queens, and yet they did (some as unpopular as possible).

Either make Camilla a Queen, or change the rule and make all future Consorts of the Kings Princess Consorts. Otherwise it's simply offensive, unnecessary and ridiculous to make exclusively Camilla a Princess Concsort. And it doesn't matter whether the polls say only 1% of people want her to be Crowned, or 100% of people think she Empress of the Universe - there is a law, a tradition and precedent.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 AM

If we can't have a Queen Camilla then let's have a President. Frankly if we're going to sod about with the monarchy based on popularity then it's outlived it's usefulness.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla is going to become Queen, personally do I want to see Camilla become queen HELL NO but she will if Charles ascends the throne. How long will Clarence House keep up this charade of Camilla becoming Princess Consort?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts, just in case anyone's wondering why this thread has shrunk.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Happy Birthday,Camilla!!!

Britain warming to idea of 'Queen Camilla'

Britain warming to idea of 'Queen Camilla' | Uk News | News | Telegraph

ROYALTY? CAMILLA'S JUST AN ESSEX GIRL
ROYALTY? CAMILLA'S JUST AN ESSEX GIRL - Top Stories - News - Mirror.co.uk

In from the cold
Scotsman.com Living - People - In from the cold
Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Heir Apparent

We have Birthday and Anniversary wishes thread, to wish a very happy birthday to our Duchess (or other members of the Royal Family).
Please, post your Birthday wishes there.

News and pictures from the event should be posted in regular threads.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Britain Warming to idea of Queen Camilla
ROYALTY? CAMILLA'S JUST AN ESSEX GIRL.
In from the Cold
Three very good articles, but I am wondering why the Mirror seems to have this thing against 'Essex girls'. I have known quite a few and they have all been very really nice people. Does it matter if some of her ancestors were working class, a lot of the aristocracy achieved their titles through having the biggest army willing to use and abuse anyone.

Happy Birthday Camilla!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Three very good articles, but I am wondering why the Mirror seems to have this thing against 'Essex girls'. I have known quite a few and they have all been very really nice people. Does it matter if some of her ancestors were working class, a lot of the aristocracy achieved their titles through having the biggest army willing to use and abuse anyone.

Happy Birthday Camilla!
Wondering about the Mirror?The very last thing to do with a rag I'd say.

HRH and The Prince of Wales will be in Bromham,Wiltshire today,celebrating the village's success in the Calor Village of the Year 2006/2007
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

Happy Birthday Camilla!
Probably this story will make her even more popular with most Britons... she is already seen as a down-to-earth addition to the Royal family and is getting more and more loved because of it!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Cornwall does not want the title Queen, it emerged today.

Camilla, who is 60 today, has told close friends she wants to be known as the princess consort when Prince Charles becomes king.

Camilla: 'I don't want to be Queen' | the Daily Mail

Now which unnamed close friends would they be?

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall