The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Courtier

It could be from something as simple as a soap residue on a glass or an undercooked bird.

If it was from a virus, I hope the Duchess recovers well as it is a nasty bug to get rid of (very time-consuming). People can be so mean when one is out of the public for a time over such a silly thing.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB
Yup, not a lot of fun.
I wouldn't think so either, AuroraB

I'm sure if the Duchess keeps her fluids up and doesn't eat any dairy etc, that she shall be back on her feet in no time

Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Aristocracy

Iowabelle,

Re: Camilla's financial situation if Charles dies before her. From what I have read Charles has a $10 million trust fund set up in the event of his death for her that was done around the time of their marriage. In addition from most accounts, Charles has been generous to Camilla over the years and due to that she was decently wealthy before her marriage, now well... :)

Regardless of what the real relationship Camilla and the princes have, I think Charles has it organized that Camilla would never be forced to ask William for money.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM

http://www.belfastbones.org/photodiary.htm

Belfast Bones is a charity and it looks as if Charles and Camilla visited recently. The Duchess is wearing two new outfits I've never seen before. One is a black suit with a black and white hat and the other is a light blue and white lacey suit which really is gorgeous. Enjoy.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Ever since the Duchess of Kent was made effectively homeless and broke when Prince George died, the Royals have taken care to provide for each other should the worst happen so I assume that Charles has made financial provision. If she's Queen when he dies then she'll be taken care of by the Civil List I imagine.

If William becomes Prince of Wales whilst Camilla is Princess of Wales then Camilla has several options;

1) Remain known as Duchess of Cornwall and be Dowager Princess of Wales
2) Become known as HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales
3) Use the precedent of Princess Alice and become HRH Princess Camilla, Princess of Wales
4) Be granted a new title - for example, HRH The Duchess of Milford-Haven and use that until her death

Once she's Queen, she'll retain the style for life and after Charles dies would become HM The Dowager Queen Camilla and basically just be known as HM Queen Camilla.
Is that different for a dowager queen? I seem to remember that I read at Burke's homepage that the title of "Dowager Lady Thisandthat" is reserved only for the mother of the next holder of the title. Which in Camilla's case she is not and cannot be.

But I guess the souverain would think of a solution, like they found one for the late queen Elizabeth when her daughter became queen and suddenly there were two ladies named queen Elizabeth. Same for precedence - the queen has changed the rules when it suited her and I guess in a case like that she would make sure Camilla's rank is preserved in an appropriate style while the government would put her on the civil list.

But let's hope there will be a king Charles or George and his queen Camilla sometime in the far, far away future (though one would hope that the queen at 90 or 95 would accept that you cannot work forever if you want to live forever...)
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
http://www.belfastbones.org/photodiary.htm

Belfast Bones is a charity and it looks as if Charles and Camilla visited recently. The Duchess is wearing two new outfits I've never seen before. One is a black suit with a black and white hat and the other is a light blue and white lacey suit which really is gorgeous. Enjoy.
Thank you for the link, Beatrixfan.

Camilla has worn both the blue outfit and the lack and white hat before but I am not sure bout the black suit.

The blue outfit during the visit of TRH's to Ireland in May 2006
The black and white hat during the same visit to Ireland

The hat had been worn on a number of other occassions (at least for 5 times), the blue suit had been worn on one more occassion (I know of).
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Camilla has worn both the blue outfit and the black and white hat before but I am not sure about the black suit.

The blue outfit during the visit of TRH's to Ireland in May 2006
The black and white hat during the same visit to Ireland

The hat had been worn on a number of other occassions (at least 5 times), the blue suit has been worn on one more occassion (I know of).
The pictures are I think from the visit in May.

When Camilla visited the Royal Veterinary School, it was months before they added the pictures to their website or magazine.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Just think about the haggling over jewelry and tiaras alone!
That happens even if it is written in stone, (or wood as the Icelanders are fond of saying)!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Is that different for a dowager queen? I seem to remember that I read at Burke's homepage that the title of "Dowager Lady Thisandthat" is reserved only for the mother of the next holder of the title. Which in Camilla's case she is not and cannot be.
Simply put - if there's an heir to inherit a title, his mother retains her title and adds Dowager whilst her son's wife takes the former title of her mother-in-law. Nowadays however, most ladies choose not to use the style of Dowager. So, when King Charles III died, King William V's wife would become Queen Theodora () whilst Camilla would become Her Majesty The Dowager Queen Camilla but would probably use the title of HM Queen Camilla whilst Theodora used "HM The Queen".
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Courtier

People may use HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother because her daughter is Queen Elizabeth II.They have the same name. But we still now if there is Queen Elizabeth, it means the Queen Mother. I
don't think there will be a problem for Camilla because Prince William will not marry a woman called Camilla. It certainly won't happen. So there will be a HM Queen Camilla and a HM Queen XXX. People can easily tell from each other in this circumstance.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The queen mother is generally considered the mother of the present monarch whereas the queen dowager is generally considered the widow of a deceased king.

Dowager

A dowager is a widow who holds a title or property, or Dower, derived from her deceased husband. As an adjective, Dowager usually appears in association with monarchical and aristocratic titles.

Examples:

Following the death of Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer in 1992, his widow, Raine, ceased to use the style Countess Spencer, becoming Raine, Dowager Countess Spencer. Her step-daughter-in-law, Victoria, became Countess Spencer

Queen Mother

The title Queen Mother is a title reserved for a widowed queen consort whose son/daughter from that union is the reigning monarch.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Angry

BBC not sorry for Camilla jibe

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year show has been hit by controversy after radio presenter John Inverdale made a joke at the expense of the Duchess of Cornwall.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/arti...38&parent_id=20
Old 12-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
BBC not sorry for Camilla jibe

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year show has been hit by controversy after radio presenter John Inverdale made a joke at the expense of the Duchess of Cornwall.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/arti...38&parent_id=20
I´ve no words. What a stupid man. Even people at the studio couldn´t really laugh. Very well. Why do we are entertained by such guys? He doesn´t deserve his title.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Well, I complained this morning and the BBC said they'd recieved quite alot of complaints on the issue.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, I complained this morning and the BBC said they'd recieved quite alot of complaints on the issue.
While I appreciate it that you made yourself into Camilla's champion, I secretly am convinced that Camilla and Charles with their hearty humour will be much amused about such a bad joke - I mean, jokes gone awry fall back on the one who joked and there is not much more amusing than seing a joke about somebody else fire backwards. Having the BBC explain in public that this is "Jack's banter" really caught me!! . Poor Jack! How embarrassing!

While I personally think that the mere idea that princess Anne calls one of her beloved horses after her beloved brother's beloved is rather sweet! And a sucessful horse at that! That gives this joke an even deeper meaning.... without realizing it this guy made a tribute to Camilla...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Amazing how times change. Who would have thought two years ago that someone referring to Camilla as a horse would cause public controversy and indignation?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well done BeatrixFan !
After all these years where so many people in public made this kind of bad jokes about Camilla, i hope nobody wants to hear it again!! For me it´s not a joke it´s only bad taste, tactless...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has always been bad taste to me to laugh at someone who cannot reply
Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 PM

As a comedian, I've always been told by other comedians that you don't go for the cheap and obvious laugh. I met Ken Dodd a few weeks ago and he said to be, "There are certain things we never touch. The Royal Family, the church and cancer victims". I think it's good advice. The man who made this comment was not a comedian and if he had any idea of what good comedy is he would have shut his mouth. It wasn't funny, it was just rude and I said this to the woman at the Beeb. She said that they'd had alot of complaints and that his comment was "regretable". I did say I'd be writing to John Inverdale, which I will be. He should stick to his very poor and very tacky radio job.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, its banter..nothing more, honestly

I agree with Jo that Camilla would probably see it for what it was...cheap and silly yet stirred a laugh for some...big whoop really. I hardly think she would be terribly offended. Why would she need to be when so many are offended for her?

The horse gag has been around for years, not least of all here in Australia. Yet that is a reflection of the sometimes impish and larrikin humour this continent is somewhat known for. Its not unheard of to make, what really is, harmless jibes at people in high ranking positions about the simularities they share with animals (Crown Princess Mary has been referred to as a 'deer caught in headlights' because of her sometimes wide eyed expressions, Prime Minister John Howard has been pictured as a toad with big eye brows and Prince Charles has had years of being compared to a monkey due to the circumference of his ears).

By no means are they the most tactful or appropriate comparisons, but I would hardly classify them as outrageously offensive

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall