The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 4: December 2006-January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The queen mother is generally considered the mother of the present monarch whereas the queen dowager is generally considered the widow of a deceased king.

Dowager

A dowager is a widow who holds a title or property, or Dower, derived from her deceased husband. As an adjective, Dowager usually appears in association with monarchical and aristocratic titles.

Examples:

Following the death of Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer in 1992, his widow, Raine, ceased to use the style Countess Spencer, becoming Raine, Dowager Countess Spencer. Her step-daughter-in-law, Victoria, became Countess Spencer

Queen Mother

The title Queen Mother is a title reserved for a widowed queen consort whose son/daughter from that union is the reigning monarch.

Skydragon said:
BBC not sorry for Camilla jibe

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year show has been hit by controversy after radio presenter John Inverdale made a joke at the expense of the Duchess of Cornwall.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/arti...38&parent_id=20

I´ve no words. What a stupid man. Even people at the studio couldn´t really laugh. Very well. Why do we are entertained by such guys? He doesn´t deserve his title.:mad::bang::mad:

Well, I complained this morning and the BBC said they'd recieved quite alot of complaints on the issue.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, I complained this morning and the BBC said they'd recieved quite alot of complaints on the issue.

While I appreciate it that you made yourself into Camilla's champion, I secretly am convinced that Camilla and Charles with their hearty humour will be much amused about such a bad joke - I mean, jokes gone awry fall back on the one who joked and there is not much more amusing than seing a joke about somebody else fire backwards. Having the BBC explain in public that this is "Jack's banter" really caught me!! :ROFLMAO::lol::ROFLMAO:. Poor Jack! How embarrassing!:lol:

While I personally think that the mere idea that princess Anne calls one of her beloved horses after her beloved brother's beloved is rather sweet! And a sucessful horse at that! That gives this joke an even deeper meaning.... without realizing it this guy made a tribute to Camilla...

Amazing how times change. Who would have thought two years ago that someone referring to Camilla as a horse would cause public controversy and indignation?

BeatrixFan said:

Well done BeatrixFan :flowers: !
After all these years where so many people in public made this kind of bad jokes about Camilla, i hope nobody wants to hear it again!! For me it´s not a joke it´s only bad taste, tactless...:mad:

It has always been bad taste to me to laugh at someone who cannot reply

As a comedian, I've always been told by other comedians that you don't go for the cheap and obvious laugh. I met Ken Dodd a few weeks ago and he said to be, "There are certain things we never touch. The Royal Family, the church and cancer victims". I think it's good advice. The man who made this comment was not a comedian and if he had any idea of what good comedy is he would have shut his mouth. It wasn't funny, it was just rude and I said this to the woman at the Beeb. She said that they'd had alot of complaints and that his comment was "regretable". I did say I'd be writing to John Inverdale, which I will be. He should stick to his very poor and very tacky radio job.

Oh, its banter..nothing more, honestly :flowers:

I agree with Jo that Camilla would probably see it for what it was...cheap and silly yet stirred a laugh for some...big whoop really. I hardly think she would be terribly offended. Why would she need to be when so many are offended for her? ;)

The horse gag has been around for years, not least of all here in Australia. Yet that is a reflection of the sometimes impish and larrikin humour this continent is somewhat known for. Its not unheard of to make, what really is, harmless jibes at people in high ranking positions about the simularities they share with animals (Crown Princess Mary has been referred to as a 'deer caught in headlights' because of her sometimes wide eyed expressions, Prime Minister John Howard has been pictured as a toad with big eye brows and Prince Charles has had years of being compared to a monkey due to the circumference of his ears).

By no means are they the most tactful or appropriate comparisons, but I would hardly classify them as outrageously offensive :)

No, but they are unfunny and cheap and the BBC is supposed to provide quality entertainment not a platform for every wannabe comedian that waltzes in with a handful of second-hand material that's older than Thora Hird's stairlift.

BeatrixFan said:
No, but they are unfunny and cheap and the BBC is supposed to provide quality entertainment not a platform for every wannabe comedian that waltzes in with a handful of second-hand material that's older than Thora Hird's stairlift.

To you and others they are unfunny and to some they are amusing. That's just the way it ;)

It may be second hand material (well and truly) but it still stirred a laugh, insult and controversay and the fact that you have made clear your thoughts (and rightly so) is a good example of how 'successful' he was in causing a response.

Alas, all 'comics' have to start somewhere, darling :lol:

Last edited:
A couple of years ago people might have found the horse comment funny. That they didn't find it funny this time goes to show that Camilla is more favourably thought of and that her position as Duchess of Cornwall is accepted and respected more than this character apparently thought it was.

Elspeth said:
A couple of years ago people might have found the horse comment funny. That they didn't find it funny this time goes to show that Camilla is more favourably thought of and that her position as Duchess of Cornwall is accepted and respected more than this character apparently thought it was.

I agree, Elspeth.

Alas, all 'comics' have to start somewhere, darling
Don't I know it dear, I've died more than once. Maybe the BBC should employ Bernard Manning as their quality control chap. His rule was always, "There's a portrait of the Queen on that wall and she may as well be in the room". He never stuck to it of course but that was his rule.

Haha..John Inverdale should stick to sports and leave the comedy perhaps? :ROFLMAO: His smile has always scared me...so much teeth showing!

"There's a portrait of the Queen on that wall and she may as well be in the room".

I like that one!

I'm a little confused by this "joke".

Is everyone taking it as a suggestion that Camilla looks like a horse? I don't think Camilla looks anything like a horse, and I've never heard her appearance likened to that of a horse. I have, however, heard/read comments to that effect about Princess Anne, hence my confusion.

Is it possible he was referring to the fact that in 1970 Andrew PB took a shine to Princess Anne, and was, I understand, seeing her at the same time he was going out with Camilla, and thus for a while achieved something of a victory over Camilla, who was apparently more smitten with Andrew than he was with her? If he was, I suppose it was still in poor taste, but marginally better than a joke about physical appearance.

I detest disparaging jokes made about a person's physical features. People can't help how they look, and I think joking about a person's features is in extremely poor taste.

I think some people used to call Camilla "horse face" for ridicule. That's why it is easy to have that implication of horse-Camilla? The host acted with poor taste.
For the second part, I don't understand.Anyway, Camilla is a senior royal family member and she deserves respects.

At least he didn't compare her to a dog as another princess once did... ;)

Jo of Palatine said:
At least he didn't compare her to a dog as another princess once did... ;)

Would you by any chance be referring to the sweet girl who referred to the RF as "the leper colony"? :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that the Duchess of Cornwall has come into her own. She is taking on more events and she is not trying to out shine anyone around her. Some of the comments that are still being lobbied are her are insensitive and some decorum of respect should be shown to her. She has made Prince Charles happy and she hasn’t tried to overtake any position in Princes William’s or Harry’s life, which I think is commendable.

sinead said:
I personally think that the Duchess of Cornwall has come into her own. She is taking on more events and she is not trying to out shine anyone around her. Some of the comments that are still being lobbied are her are insensitive and some decorum of respect should be shown to her. She has made Prince Charles happy and she hasn’t tried to overtake any position in Princes William’s or Harry’s life, which I think is commendable.

I agreee with you. She really has come into her own, when we think of the way the public seem to receive her during her Royal engagements - it's been quite some time till we had to read that she was not received with smiles and happy faces. In fact, as soon as she started to show up in public as the nice person she seems to be, her whole image has changed.

But I wonder if she really is going to attend that "Tribute to Diana"-concert. Of course she said yes when she was invited by Diana's sons. And I think it shows alot about the way she has dealt with Charles' and Diana's boys that she was invited at all. She really must have won over the princes - and as they know her better than all of us can know her, it is really telling.

But how will the audience receive her once she attends? I mean, I bet the whole audience will be filled with Diana-fans because I for one wouldn't even dream of attending this concert! There must be some fear at least that the audience is going to turn against Camilla. And that would not be in the interest of the princes. So maybe we should open a poll about if she will be ill that day or not...;)

That´s my fear, too. Hopefully there are no booings at the audience for Camilla. Ok, there are 8 month until the event. People will live with it. But hardly Diana-fans could smash it. :neutral:

I wouldn't think Charles, Camilla, the Queen or any of the other royals will be at the concert, it seems to be the church service they will attend.

Hornsen said:
That´s my fear, too. Hopefully there are no booings at the audience for Camilla. Ok, there are 8 month until the event. People will live with it. But hardly Diana-fans could smash it.

From what I have heard, it is not just Diana fans that are getting tickets, it is all the youngsters that 'fancy' William and Harry and are fans of Elton John, Duran Duran and concerts etc. :wacko:

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
But I wonder if she really is going to attend that "Tribute to Diana"-concert. Of course she said yes when she was invited by Diana's sons. And I think it shows alot about the way she has dealt with Charles' and Diana's boys that she was invited at all. She really must have won over the princes - and as they know her better than all of us can know her, it is really telling.

;)
Only William and Harry will be at the concert according to the Prince of Wales official site. The Queen, the DoE, Charles, Camilla, Diana's sisters Lady Jane and Lady Sarah as well as her brother Earl Spencer have been invited to the Memorial service on Aug 31st and all have accepted the invitation to attend.

Seems like Camilla was in cheerful mood today. :)

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall arrives at the Womans Own Children of Courage Award ceremony held at Westminster Abbey on December 13, 2006 in London, England.

Pictures:
Camilla
Camilla 2
Camilla 3

more pictures from getty of the event here.

Last edited:
HRH looks lovely and she seems to be the regular guest at these awards now.

Wow, she looks so great!:flowers: And a personally picture with every single one. Can´t remember from last year. Especially she likes the girl with this white coat. What´s up with her? Anyone knows?

Not sure why there are so many pics of Camilla with the girl in the white coat but a friend of mine was there today and she said that HRH gave the girl a kiss so maybe she knows her or Camilla was just impressed with what she'd done.

Her name is Milly Bell (I think that is the one you are refering to)

Milly Bell's father Simon died earlier this year from a brain tumour aged 37, and during his illness she wrote an activity book called My Daddy is Dying. Aimed at helping other young people the book is set to be published by Exeter-based cancer charity Force.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/6200536.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom