The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Nobility

Putting her in the same category as Mariah Carey? Please.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

That was really ridiculous to include the Duchess of Cornwall in that list - I guess I have a 'dowdy' style, because I really liked all of Camilla's outfits (and I mean it).
They are very elegant, sometimes bold (the hats), appropirate for her age and very Lady-like, in my opinion.

I liked the article posted by cde (thanks for it). Particularly enjoyable was the last part:
Quote:
the Duchess of Cornwall is doing just fine. And Mr Blackwell can go hang.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Nobility

Well, considering that Princess Anne was on mr. blackwells list twice in the 1970's, then the Duchess of Cornwall is in pretty good company!!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB
Well, considering that Princess Anne was on mr. blackwells list twice in the 1970's, then the Duchess of Cornwall is in pretty good company!!
I may be mistaken but I think Queen Elizabeth was also on his list once.
Queen Elizabeth, Princess Royal, The Duchess of Cornwall - good company indeed!.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Well, Camilla has made it into popular culture. Today I went to see a panto, 'Cinderella' to be exact. What do you think the stepmother who married Baron Hardup and became a Baroness was called prior to her wedding? Camilla Park-her-Bike. Ma'am, you've arrived.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla Park-her-bike

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I love that.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, Camilla has made it into popular culture. Today I went to see a panto, 'Cinderella' to be exact. What do you think the stepmother who married Baron Hardup and became a Baroness was called prior to her wedding? Camilla Park-her-Bike. Ma'am, you've arrived.
That shows how differently people see things, I find it distasteful, considering the connotations of being called a bike.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 AM

Well I didn't pick up on that at all actually and it certainly wasn't meant in that way because they stressed the Park-Her Bike as in parking a bicycle so I think it was an innocent nod to popular culture rather than a knock at Camilla.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

When I read BeatrixFan's post I took it as a clever play on words rather than a reference to that sort of "bike". I've never heard any suggestion of that sort about Camilla so it didn't enter my mind. Park-er seems to go with bike, IMO, which of course also starts with "B", and she's the sort of woman who can probably ride a bicycle. Harmless, clever, fun, I think.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM

I think what we have to remember is that this was panto and panto is family audience related so that kind of bike joke wouldn't be used at all. But also, panto has a job to keep up with the times. The Ugly Sisters were called Trinny and Susannah and the Fairy Godmother explained how wishes were only granted to those who were good which is why Gordon Brown wasn't in Number 10. So for Camilla to be included in panto, means she's recognisable to people as a part of modern culture. And I think that's pretty fab.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought it was clever. To stray off-topic for but a moment....where did you see this? Did the rest of the audience pick up on it and was the reaction positive, negative or just "eh"?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM

This was in South East London. The name got a bit of a laugh but not huge. Everyone got it but we'd already had two jokes about Prince Harry and I think people were getting a bit bored of the Royal gags.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
When I read BeatrixFan's post I took it as a clever play on words rather than a reference to that sort of "bike". I've never heard any suggestion of that sort about Camilla so it didn't enter my mind.
On this we will have to agree to disagree. One of the many insults thrown at Camilla (or indeed any woman that had/has more than one partner) was that she was the town/village bike.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
On this we will have to agree to disagree. One of the many insults thrown at Camilla (or indeed any woman that had/has more than one partner) was that she was the town/village bike.
But if you are right, then obviously the writers of the panto thought that she "parked her bike" for good = stays true to her husband by now...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
More than one partner? Yikes! I've only heard the expression used to describe girls/women who have lots of casual relationships. Ignoring what might have happened before marriage as irrelevant, IMO, I don't think one husband and one lover over 30 or so years qualifies, especially when she's now married to that lover. But then I have fairly liberal views in this regard, tending to take a "to each his own" attitude.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
More than one partner? Yikes! I've only heard the expression used to describe girls/women who have lots of casual relationships. Ignoring what might have happened before marriage as irrelevant,
Unfortunately, it was because she had more than one boyfriend before her marriage, that some people chose to insult her in that way. Don't forget this was all over 26 years ago, when things were less liberal for any upperclass gel!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Closed thread

Time to close this thread.
The new thread for the Current Events of the Duchess of Cornwall can be found here.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed to this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall