The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 4: December 2006-January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKDuchessofCornwallsmaller.jpg

Arms of HRH the Duchess of Cornwall

The Duchess of Cornwall current events thread, part 4

commencing December 2006

Part 3, covering the period September to December 2006 can be found here

prenup

Does anyone know if Prince Charles and Camila have a prenuptial agreement when they wedded?
I believe the royals have annual allowance, but does anyone know about how much???
Thanks all and have a lovely Xmas :)

Seasons greetings. :flowers:

I think it unlikely that Charles and Camilla have a pre-nuptial agreement, they are still rare in the UK and I am not sure that they are legally binding under UK law anyway!

They do not as such get an annual allowance. Charles gets a small amount from the civil list, to help with the cost of entertaining and general upkeep of CH. He does earn an amount from the Duchy and this pays for Camilla, William, Harry and Charles' other expenses.

Here is the link to the Prince of Wales website page which discusses finances.

I was watching this program about the royal family on the We network and they had a couple of journalists saying that even though Charles and Camilla were married we would never see Camilla appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace while the Queen was on it? Is this perhaps an older program? I could swear I have seen Camilla on the balcony before but I could be wrong. Does anybody have any idea?

lord_rankin said:
I was watching this program about the royal family on the We network and they had a couple of journalists saying that even though Charles and Camilla were married we would never see Camilla appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace while the Queen was on it? Is this perhaps an older program? I could swear I have seen Camilla on the balcony before but I could be wrong. Does anybody have any idea?

It must have been an old programme.

This was Camilla's first appearance on the balcony in June 2005 (getty images)

Thank you Skydragon, I thought their statements were rather odd considering they are married.

I read that the Prince of Wales said that he would not need a pre-nup because he knew that this marriage was going to last.

Interesting anecdote from David Gest. He was speaking on "This Morning" today and said that he'd met Camilla. For those who don't know, David was a contestant on "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of Here" and he claimed he had a maid called Vaginika. According to him, Camilla said to him, "I loved you in the jungle. Please give my best wishes to Vaginika - I adore her".

So do I, nasty illness so debilitating

I'm joining to the get-well wishes. Hope Camilla recovers soon and is able to celebrate the Christmas in excellent health (and mood).

Last edited:
Best wishes from me, too! Yes, its a really unpleasant illness. And it can catch you very fast. :flowers:

Get well soon, Camilla!:flowers:
(I hope some of Charles´ herbal medicine will help, and we will see HRH next week in good health again.)

Skydragon said:
Seasons greetings. :flowers:

I think it unlikely that Charles and Camilla have a pre-nuptial agreement, they are still rare in the UK and I am not sure that they are legally binding under UK law anyway!

They do not as such get an annual allowance. Charles gets a small amount from the civil list, to help with the cost of entertaining and general upkeep of CH. He does earn an amount from the Duchy and this pays for Camilla, William, Harry and Charles' other expenses.

I think the real question, for which we'll probably never get an answer, is what provisions have been made for a widowed Duchess of Cornwall or a widowed Princess Consort. The likelihood of Charles dying before Camilla is much greater than that of a second divorce IMO. Financial matters could become very complicated if William were to become PoW or monarch, and a widowed Camilla had to be provided for (and I'm sure Charles would be concerned about giving Camilla a comfortable lifestyle, especially since he has already settled generous sums on her children). Just think about the haggling over jewelry and tiaras alone!

I am sure Charles has provide for Camilla if something could happen. And this may be before their marriage. But I don´t see what could become complicated if William is POW. Camilla is a member of the BRF. What can happen to her? If Charles will die (hopefully not in next years) she holds his/her titles. Even if Charles has done nothing (what I don´t believe) she will get money from BRF and/or taxpayers. Or am I wrong?:ermm:

Ever since the Duchess of Kent was made effectively homeless and broke when Prince George died, the Royals have taken care to provide for each other should the worst happen so I assume that Charles has made financial provision. If she's Queen when he dies then she'll be taken care of by the Civil List I imagine.

If William becomes Prince of Wales whilst Camilla is Princess of Wales then Camilla has several options;

1) Remain known as Duchess of Cornwall and be Dowager Princess of Wales
2) Become known as HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales
3) Use the precedent of Princess Alice and become HRH Princess Camilla, Princess of Wales
4) Be granted a new title - for example, HRH The Duchess of Milford-Haven and use that until her death

Once she's Queen, she'll retain the style for life and after Charles dies would become HM The Dowager Queen Camilla and basically just be known as HM Queen Camilla.

A question...

Gastro-enteritis. Is that the one where your toilet is your best friend? :wacko: :ermm:

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Gastro-enteritis. Is that the one where your toilet is your best friend? :wacko: :ermm:

Yup, not a lot of fun.

It could be from something as simple as a soap residue on a glass or an undercooked bird.

If it was from a virus, I hope the Duchess recovers well as it is a nasty bug to get rid of (very time-consuming). People can be so mean when one is out of the public for a time over such a silly thing.

AuroraB said:
Yup, not a lot of fun.

I wouldn't think so either, AuroraB :sick:

I'm sure if the Duchess keeps her fluids up and doesn't eat any dairy etc, that she shall be back on her feet in no time :flowers:

Iowabelle,

Re: Camilla's financial situation if Charles dies before her. From what I have read Charles has a $10 million trust fund set up in the event of his death for her that was done around the time of their marriage. In addition from most accounts, Charles has been generous to Camilla over the years and due to that she was decently wealthy before her marriage, now well... :)

Regardless of what the real relationship Camilla and the princes have, I think Charles has it organized that Camilla would never be forced to ask William for money.

http://www.belfastbones.org/photodiary.htm

Belfast Bones is a charity and it looks as if Charles and Camilla visited recently. The Duchess is wearing two new outfits I've never seen before. One is a black suit with a black and white hat and the other is a light blue and white lacey suit which really is gorgeous. Enjoy.

BeatrixFan said:
Ever since the Duchess of Kent was made effectively homeless and broke when Prince George died, the Royals have taken care to provide for each other should the worst happen so I assume that Charles has made financial provision. If she's Queen when he dies then she'll be taken care of by the Civil List I imagine.

If William becomes Prince of Wales whilst Camilla is Princess of Wales then Camilla has several options;

1) Remain known as Duchess of Cornwall and be Dowager Princess of Wales
2) Become known as HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales
3) Use the precedent of Princess Alice and become HRH Princess Camilla, Princess of Wales
4) Be granted a new title - for example, HRH The Duchess of Milford-Haven and use that until her death

Once she's Queen, she'll retain the style for life and after Charles dies would become HM The Dowager Queen Camilla and basically just be known as HM Queen Camilla.

Is that different for a dowager queen? I seem to remember that I read at Burke's homepage that the title of "Dowager Lady Thisandthat" is reserved only for the mother of the next holder of the title. Which in Camilla's case she is not and cannot be.

But I guess the souverain would think of a solution, like they found one for the late queen Elizabeth when her daughter became queen and suddenly there were two ladies named queen Elizabeth. Same for precedence - the queen has changed the rules when it suited her and I guess in a case like that she would make sure Camilla's rank is preserved in an appropriate style while the government would put her on the civil list.

But let's hope there will be a king Charles or George and his queen Camilla sometime in the far, far away future (though one would hope that the queen at 90 or 95 would accept that you cannot work forever if you want to live forever...;))

BeatrixFan said:
http://www.belfastbones.org/photodiary.htm

Belfast Bones is a charity and it looks as if Charles and Camilla visited recently. The Duchess is wearing two new outfits I've never seen before. One is a black suit with a black and white hat and the other is a light blue and white lacey suit which really is gorgeous. Enjoy.

Thank you for the link, Beatrixfan.

Camilla has worn both the blue outfit and the lack and white hat before but I am not sure bout the black suit.

The blue outfit during the visit of TRH's to Ireland in May 2006
The black and white hat during the same visit to Ireland

The hat had been worn on a number of other occassions (at least for 5 times), the blue suit had been worn on one more occassion (I know of).

Avalon said:
Camilla has worn both the blue outfit and the black and white hat before but I am not sure about the black suit.

The blue outfit during the visit of TRH's to Ireland in May 2006
The black and white hat during the same visit to Ireland

The hat had been worn on a number of other occassions (at least 5 times), the blue suit has been worn on one more occassion (I know of).

The pictures are I think from the visit in May.

When Camilla visited the Royal Veterinary School, it was months before they added the pictures to their website or magazine. :flowers:

iowabelle said:
Just think about the haggling over jewelry and tiaras alone!

That happens even if it is written in stone, (or wood as the Icelanders are fond of saying)! :lol:

Is that different for a dowager queen? I seem to remember that I read at Burke's homepage that the title of "Dowager Lady Thisandthat" is reserved only for the mother of the next holder of the title. Which in Camilla's case she is not and cannot be.

Simply put - if there's an heir to inherit a title, his mother retains her title and adds Dowager whilst her son's wife takes the former title of her mother-in-law. Nowadays however, most ladies choose not to use the style of Dowager. So, when King Charles III died, King William V's wife would become Queen Theodora (;)) whilst Camilla would become Her Majesty The Dowager Queen Camilla but would probably use the title of HM Queen Camilla whilst Theodora used "HM The Queen".

People may use HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother because her daughter is Queen Elizabeth II.They have the same name. But we still now if there is Queen Elizabeth, it means the Queen Mother. I
don't think there will be a problem for Camilla because Prince William will not marry a woman called Camilla. It certainly won't happen. So there will be a HM Queen Camilla and a HM Queen XXX. People can easily tell from each other in this circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom