The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 4: December 2006-January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting her in the same category as Mariah Carey? Please.

That was really ridiculous to include the Duchess of Cornwall in that list - I guess I have a 'dowdy' style, because I really liked all of Camilla's outfits (and I mean it).
They are very elegant, sometimes bold (the hats;)), appropirate for her age and very Lady-like, in my opinion.

I liked the article posted by cde (thanks for it). Particularly enjoyable was the last part:
the Duchess of Cornwall is doing just fine. And Mr Blackwell can go hang.

Well, considering that Princess Anne was on mr. blackwells list twice in the 1970's, then the Duchess of Cornwall is in pretty good company!! :D

AuroraB said:
Well, considering that Princess Anne was on mr. blackwells list twice in the 1970's, then the Duchess of Cornwall is in pretty good company!! :D

I may be mistaken but I think Queen Elizabeth was also on his list once.
Queen Elizabeth, Princess Royal, The Duchess of Cornwall - good company indeed!. ;)

Well, Camilla has made it into popular culture. Today I went to see a panto, 'Cinderella' to be exact. What do you think the stepmother who married Baron Hardup and became a Baroness was called prior to her wedding? Camilla Park-her-Bike. Ma'am, you've arrived.

Camilla Park-her-bike

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I love that.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, Camilla has made it into popular culture. Today I went to see a panto, 'Cinderella' to be exact. What do you think the stepmother who married Baron Hardup and became a Baroness was called prior to her wedding? Camilla Park-her-Bike. Ma'am, you've arrived.

That shows how differently people see things, I find it distasteful, considering the connotations of being called a bike. :mad:

Well I didn't pick up on that at all actually and it certainly wasn't meant in that way because they stressed the Park-Her Bike as in parking a bicycle so I think it was an innocent nod to popular culture rather than a knock at Camilla.

When I read BeatrixFan's post I took it as a clever play on words rather than a reference to that sort of "bike". I've never heard any suggestion of that sort about Camilla so it didn't enter my mind. Park-er seems to go with bike, IMO, which of course also starts with "B", and she's the sort of woman who can probably ride a bicycle. Harmless, clever, fun, I think. :)

I think what we have to remember is that this was panto and panto is family audience related so that kind of bike joke wouldn't be used at all. But also, panto has a job to keep up with the times. The Ugly Sisters were called Trinny and Susannah and the Fairy Godmother explained how wishes were only granted to those who were good which is why Gordon Brown wasn't in Number 10. So for Camilla to be included in panto, means she's recognisable to people as a part of modern culture. And I think that's pretty fab.

I thought it was clever. To stray off-topic for but a moment....where did you see this? Did the rest of the audience pick up on it and was the reaction positive, negative or just "eh"?

This was in South East London. The name got a bit of a laugh but not huge. Everyone got it but we'd already had two jokes about Prince Harry and I think people were getting a bit bored of the Royal gags.

Roslyn said:
When I read BeatrixFan's post I took it as a clever play on words rather than a reference to that sort of "bike". I've never heard any suggestion of that sort about Camilla so it didn't enter my mind. :)
On this we will have to agree to disagree. One of the many insults thrown at Camilla (or indeed any woman that had/has more than one partner) was that she was the town/village bike. :rolleyes:

Skydragon said:
On this we will have to agree to disagree. One of the many insults thrown at Camilla (or indeed any woman that had/has more than one partner) was that she was the town/village bike. :rolleyes:

But if you are right, then obviously the writers of the panto thought that she "parked her bike" for good = stays true to her husband by now...;)

Skydragon said:

More than one partner? Yikes! I've only heard the expression used to describe girls/women who have lots of casual relationships. Ignoring what might have happened before marriage as irrelevant, IMO, I don't think one husband and one lover over 30 or so years qualifies, especially when she's now married to that lover. But then I have fairly liberal views in this regard, tending to take a "to each his own" attitude.

Last edited:
Roslyn said:
More than one partner? Yikes! I've only heard the expression used to describe girls/women who have lots of casual relationships. Ignoring what might have happened before marriage as irrelevant,

Unfortunately, it was because she had more than one boyfriend before her marriage, that some people chose to insult her in that way. Don't forget this was all over 26 years ago, when things were less liberal for any upperclass gel! :lol:

Closed thread

Time to close this thread.
The new thread for the Current Events of the Duchess of Cornwall can be found here.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed to this thread. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom