The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Absolute crap....... Lazy indeed.
I absolutely agree. What the Duchess has done is show that every day, in every way, she is behind her man 100%. And haven't we all remarked on what a wonderful change she has wrought in her husband, our prince, our Prince of Wales. He is happier, more confident, content and enjoying life!
In that gold fish bowl Camilla has worked a minor miracle..... She has given us back the Prince of our youth. The man with ideals and passion.... That, at least, is a full time job.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is'nt it the Express that 'altered' the figures last year to try to show Camilla in a 'bad' light? The Diana every day paper?

She is doing a brilliant job when you read the facts, but thanks anyway Lavi, you started 2007 with a laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn & MARG
I see lots of pics on these pages showing Camilla attending events, with and without Charles, and, IMO, doing a sterling job....

Camilla has worked a minor miracle.....
Well said!

Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Courtier

well said,everyone. I totally agree with you all. Camilla has showed her true spririts about herself to us. She has proved to us how wonderful she can be and how perfectly she can support Prince Charles by his side.I really really want to appreciate that we can have a much happier, relaxed, contended and confident Prince Charles.
I think she is very low-key and private in nature. Despite I want to see her more, I will respect her way towards her life. Camilla will be a perfect consort. I can understand why she would rather choose to support her man rather than put her in fame. This is a wonderful trait.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Is'nt it the Express that 'altered' the figures last year to try to show Camilla in a 'bad' light? The Diana every day paper?
Thank you Skydragon,you´re soooo right!
You can cry or laugh about these tabloid gossip, i try to laugh, because i know that journalists like these know nothing about our great Duchess, and reader who believe what they write do know nothing too...poor people.

Happy New Year to all of you!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone have numbers that could be considered "correct"? She married at a time in life when most people are considering retiring. Why should she suddenly start to work fulltime - something she has never done in her life.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

If the Duchess attends an event with Prince Charles, does it count as one for HIM or one each for both?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Courtier

I don't think there is a correct number, but she is close to the Countess of Wessex which I think is a good comparision.

There is a man who usually releases the figures not only counting engagments but what they are (ie The Queen carries out four engaments by meeting four new ambassadors in the same amount of time Camilla might carry out one engagment at for example a hospital). I think that is a fairer judge, but because each member of the royal family has different roles and responsibilies it is hard to compare them.

Map for the British Royals
Old 01-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Nobility

The press are just getting bored, there hasn't been enough scandal this year and If they get a reaction from Camilla it will be hitting the jackpot.
She's a wonderful asset to the RF and she should just keep up the great work!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

We had that discussion before and I for myself ended it with the thought that Camilla needed some resources of time to be able to acquire new patronages. If she filled up her engagement book too quickly, she would be soon in a position to be forced to decline help for new charities, even though they are dear to her heart. I believe that she used all "open" appointment dates for events that don't happen any year and don't require constant attention, meetings and organizing of the next events where she appears in public.

Remember how Diana shed most of her Royal patronages after the separation in order to be able to concentrate on those patronages she wanted to give more attention to? IMHO Diana was so much in demand during the early years that she acquired so many patronages in such a short time that her actual work could only be perfunctory and she could only be a figure head. She changed that in order to be of greater help without the limelight. I'm convinced that the Royals see that danger, too, and that any Royal who is not shallow will try to get deeper involved with patronages than just appear at an appointed date to reveal a plaque.

That's my explaination for Camilla's number of appointments yet.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
We had that discussion before .....
You've reminded me of our previous discussion. I recall observing then that in due course Camilla's workload will naturally increase as the Queen & Prince Phillip continue to wind down their activities, and for that reason she may be limiting the patronages she is taking on as other work will come from other directions.

I continue to be impressed with the fact she took on this increasing workload at her time of life, and how she does it with the enthusiasm and good humour that is obvious from the photos.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see Camilla as having worked any minor miracle (let alone a miracle at all) but I do see a lady fulfilling her duties as royal consort wonderfully well.

It is of course expected of her (as it is all royal consorts) and I think she enjoys the process which makes all the difference.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall has proven to be such a deserving representative of the Queen and has been nothing short of charming during the execution of her duties
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I don't see Camilla as having worked any minor miracle (let alone a miracle at all) but I do see a lady fulfilling her duties as royal consort wonderfully well.
We must have been watching a different Charles at functions. Before his wedding to Camilla, when he had to go without her, he was miserable and although he gave his all, there was no spark. Now we have a Charles who laughs, makes funny jokes and seems to remind a lot of people, how funny and charming he was before his ill fated 1st marriage. Because of his wife, we are finally seeing our prince in a true light.

I don't think Camilla enjoys being thrust into the limelight, but is happy to do it for love of her husband. She is entirely happy to play the supporting role, IMO. Which makes her rather special in these days of the me, me, me culture.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We must have been watching a different Charles at functions. Before his wedding to Camilla, when he had to go without her, he was miserable and although he gave his all, there was no spark. Now we have a Charles who laughs, makes funny jokes and seems to remind a lot of people, how funny and charming he was before his ill fated 1st marriage. Because of his wife, we are finally seeing our prince in a true light.

I don't think Camilla enjoys being thrust into the limelight, but is happy to do it for love of her husband. She is entirely happy to play the supporting role, IMO. Which makes her rather special in these days of the me, me, me culture.

I am with you Skydragon.

I definitely am seeing the Prince Charles of the 70s again - fun and confident - the Prince Charles we lost in the 80s, 90s and early 00s.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 PM

There's no doubt that Charles has changed since he married Camilla. Certainly before he came across as a bit of a grumpy old man who felt he wasn't appreciated. Now, people rave about meeting them - but is that because the press have changed their tune?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
....Now, people rave about meeting them - but is that because the press have changed their tune?
After all this time and both good and appallingly bad press I believe he is impervious to their good/bad opinion. Thus, his smiles, wit and humour, are for his wife, family and the public who show their appreciation of him.

(I have this mental picture of scores of little paparatzi pouring over every photo taken to see if they can make the case for discontent....they're still looking!)

You can't fake "Happy" all the time, and the press are hard pressed (no pun intended) to find a picture of him looking thoughtful, reserved or even pensive these days!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There's no doubt that Charles has changed since he married Camilla. Certainly before he came across as a bit of a grumpy old man who felt he was appreciated. Now, people rave about meeting them - but is that because the press have changed their tune?
I think the other thing is that he had a rough couple of years before they got married, his life in general seems to have calmed down a lot since he got married.

Map for the British Royals
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Yes, Charles is once again happy, but I still don't see this as his wife having performed 'some miracle' as has been stated. I do see that as an exaggeration of sorts.

He has every right to be happy since marrying the woman he loves. That is no miracle, that is a happily married husband and its great to see. He can laugh, tell jokes in the comfort of knowing that his pesonal life has progressed to a state he (at a time in his life) probably never thought it would.

The term miracle is being thrown around all to loosely I think when really, its simply a show of a happy and committed couple enjoying married life and the support they are now able to give to one another as life partners.

I never said (or meant) Camilla enjoys the spotlight (she is no celebrity afterall), but that she enjoys being able to lend her services and support to worthy and charitable causes and primarily to her husband. Its important to enjoy what one does and I think Camilla does enjoy the position she's in. Not for the position itself (I would imagine), but for the ways in which she is able to make a diffference and assist where she can and I think that's great.

I don't believe we are looking at a different Charles. Not at all

Its just I don't see (in my view) that happiness as being something of a phenomenon (many people fall in love and change one anothers lives, or their quality of life).

The conception of Christ was a miracle, not Charles' happiness.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the word "miracle" has some looser meanings than the religious ones these days. I don't think anyone was really trying to compare Camilla to God. At least, I hope not.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, the word "miracle" has some looser meanings than the religious ones these days. I don't think anyone was really trying to compare Camilla to God. At least, I hope not.
Camilla and God...for sake of another thread being created with that as its heading, lets leave that one there

All this I'm aware of Elspeth but that is my point, religious conotations aside. For another comparison, a young Australian man survived a Great White shark attack not so long back. Now to many, that would be considered more a 'miracle' considering the speed, precision and intensity of the sharks attatck and its overwhelming intent to kill (being the oceans number one predator and the human fatality rate when it does occur).

The happines of a man who has experienced happiness at some time in his life, and having regained it back (if not with a greater sense) is no miracle. Its wonderful, exciting and really great to see, but its no miracle.

Of course those who wish to think it are as entitled to that opinion as much as I am mine.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, as long as we've established that it's a matter of definition and opinion (I mean, I wouldn't class an escape from a shark as a miracle, never mind Prince Charles's change of mood), we can probably quite profitably move on.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall