The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 2: June-September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbb said:
i thought the same, my gosh thats ALOT. She's done a smashing job, always smiling, game for anything and has imo a special rapport with children, not to mention the glow charles has whenever he's near her.

She has done a lot and I wonder if it was a full year i.e. from the wedding date, or within their specific accounting year, which as we all know can run Jan-Dec, Feb-Jan. :confused:

Skydragon said:
She has done a lot and I wonder if it was a full year i.e. from the wedding date, or within their specific accounting year, which as we all know can run Jan-Dec, Feb-Jan. :confused:

I was wondering the same. The article says her first year but how exactly did they compare her to the others? Not to mention that she was rather new to the game. Now she's a seasoned pro and I'm sure that her future engagements will out number her first year. Still, she shines in my book.:D

I'm always a little suspect on grading royals by the number of their engagements. Surely the quality must count for something?

Sadly quality doesn't count to the press, it doesn't sell papers quite as well.
:(

Incas said:
I'm not sure where to put this piece. Since it's more of an editorial than news on Camilla, I thought this is as good as any other thread:

Palace worries over 'workshy' Camilla
Charles lashes out as royals hint his wife isn't pulling her weight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=394638&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Why they can´t leave her alone? Weeks ago she was the star, now she is bad and lazy...Down with the press. And suddenly no words of crisis anymore? Now the chair was broken because of Buckingham Palace? Fly on the wall? Hope, Camilla will keep up it.

As a friend of mine says, "Here's to those who wish us well and those who don't can go to hell".

BeatrixFan said:
As a friend of mine says, "Here's to those who wish us well and those who don't can go to hell".

It goes along with the saying, "Da** if you do and da** if you don't". :confused:

The Daily Mail isn't going to say anything complimentary about Camilla, especially when hints of strife in the Wales household sells papers.

Thank you all for the pictures and news.

Elspeth said:
The Daily Mail isn't going to say anything complimentary about Camilla, especially when hints of strife in the Wales household sells papers.

Well more to the point, Richard Kay is not going to say anything complimentary about Camilla. He was one of the reporters who claimed to 'groom' Diana for the public before she was even engaged.

Interestingly enough, he seems to defend the Royal Family for playing tough and insisting that Camilla do public duties right after her father died whereas when Diana was alive, his main criticism of the BRF was that the BRF was cold, unfeeling and inhuman. If the Royal Family had kicked up a fuss about Diana's public engagements after her father died, I think he would have blasted them. I'm not saying they did kick up a fuss about Camilla either but that's what he implies.

I'm puzzled by the criticism that Camilla is not doing solo events. I've found the joint events in general to be a lot more successful for royals. You get to see the interaction with the royals with each other that you don't get from an event with a single royal.

I thought Camilla had performed a few solo engagements. If they did start performing engagements separately as a matter of course, it'd just fuel the rumours that the marriage is on the rocks already. Honestly, they really can't do it right for some of these journalists.

Elspeth said:
I thought Camilla had performed a few solo engagements. If they did start performing engagements separately as a matter of course, it'd just fuel the rumours that the marriage is on the rocks already. Honestly, they really can't do it right for some of these journalists.

Camilla performed 38 solo engagements. Personally, I think they have the mix just right at the moment. :)

I think that even if camilla did 1000 solo engagements per year, people will still be unhappy.Frankly she might as well please herself and start doing things slowly - what is the point of pleasing people who dislike her anyway?

shaan said:
I think that even if camilla did 1000 solo engagements per year, people will still be unhappy.Frankly she might as well please herself and start doing things slowly - what is the point of pleasing people who dislike her anyway?

So true, unfortunately.

Well she has had a good year as far as the public perception goes. I don't think a few articles are going to change that.

shaan said:

Plus it was said that the queen thinks about delegating more and more of her duties to Charles and Camilla. The queen is a careful person: she surely wants to be sure that Charles and Camilla as a couple are well received and do a good job before she gives them more important duties. So IMHo this first year was just the "apprenticeship" of Camilla. There needs to be some space for additional and more important duties which explains, at least to me, why Camilla did not work as much as the other senior Royals in her first year (again: it was her first year!) and why she did most engagements together with the prince: he knows his jobs and surely did a great job in teaching her how to do it herself.

My guess is that we'll see more of Camilla and more important duties during the next years. But this Royal watcher is already very content with what she has seen of the duchess of Cornwall! ;)

But it is so amusing reading what funny stories come out in the press , first she is praised for her style, then she and charles are not talking then she is lazy then she does too few engagements then she is compared to diana all over again - I wonder what next? perhaps she should get pregnant or something like that other woman did - can you imagine the headlines?

shaan said:
But it is so amusing reading what funny stories come out in the press , first she is praised for her style, then she and charles are not talking then she is lazy then she does too few engagements then she is compared to diana all over again - I wonder what next? perhaps she should get pregnant or something like that other woman did - can you imagine the headlines?

LOL - you mean "doing the Kiko"?:D

Sorry are you referring to the japanese princess who is expecting or something altogether different?

shaan said:
Sorry are you referring to the japanese princess who is expecting or something altogether different?

Yes, I meant Kiko of Japan - the whole world thought her husband and she had stopped thinking about adding another child to their family with her being not quite young anymore but suddenly she was pregnant... ;)

Well a 60-something woman just had a baby so its not out of the realm of possibility. I think its highly doubtful though.

I can't help thinking this talk about the lack of her solo engagements is a bit of a red herring. I think the first year was very successful in terms of publicity. She was getting out there, their events were pretty well covered and for the most part positively.

Whether or not she's lazy is another matter; but the effects of the public appearances she did make were on the most part very positive. If what little she does provides value, then I don't care if she's lazy in her own time or not.

shaan said:

i so agree shaan. you can't please everybody (especially the ones who will NEVER give her a break). the papers will always be making stuff up to sell papers and everything she does will be looked over and commented on. Camilla needs to just be herself and do her best, with a husband that adores and supports her i hope she's able to just blow off the negative stuff and enjoy her life (and if some people think thats lazy, thats just too bad)

ysbel said:
Well a 60-something woman just had a baby so its not out of the realm of possibility. I think its highly doubtful though.

I can't help thinking this talk about the lack of her solo engagements is a bit of a red herring. I think the first year was very successful in terms of publicity. She was getting out there, their events were pretty well covered and for the most part positively.

Whether or not she's lazy is another matter; but the effects of the public appearances she did make were on the most part very positive. If what little she does provides value, then I don't care if she's lazy in her own time or not.

But is it really so little? I mean: 320 engagements in 365 days. Here in Germany, people work an average of 220 days (the rest ist weekends/holidays and public holidays). Let's assume it's similar in the UK: then it's about 2 engagements a working day. And it's not just showing up on the occasion, it's attending the conferences with the planning staff at Clarence House, it's dressing appropriately (which includes the shopping for clothes), putting on the make-up (Important if an elderly lady needs to look her best due to the photographers), getting briefed about each event and the people to be met there, driving to the place, appear, doing all there is to be done and driving/flying back. Quite a lot of work in order to only do 1! engagement.

While the queen can do real "series" of engagements while staying at BP and receiving people who do the traveling to meet her.

if you view it that way, it's quite impressive what the duchess did - certainly not the score of one "lazy" lady. Especially one who is close to reach "retirement age" and knows she can't ever retire (well, being one day the widow of king Charles with a new king William and his queen might mean that she can relax a little bit in her (then) old adage...;))

I respect Camilla because she started her public career at an age when most people think of retirement. Or do you think we'll see so much of celebs when they reach the age of sixty-something?

I guess it's the "Against all odds"-factor that helps her keeping up her strength or maybe she thinks like empress Karoline Augusta of Austria (born princess of Bavaria) who married emperor Franz I. in 1816. The princess had been forced to marry the Crown prince of Wuerttemberg in 1808 due to Napoleon's machinations but the prince did not want her and she could get an annullment in 1816 due to the fact that the prince did not consummate the marriage and thus the pope dissolved the marriage. While Franz I. was double her age and three times widowed, the marriage was very happy. The empress wrote to her brother (king Ludwig I. of Bavaria) in 1821:
"Mein Kaiser lebt für seine Völker; ich für ihn; so ist unser Verhältnis, so wird es bleiben. Er freut sich meiner Liebe und Hingebung; ich bin selig, wenn ich bemerke, daß er sich dadurch glücklich fühlt, und ich bemerke es oft" (Translates to: My emperor lives for his people and I for him; this is the way we relate and thus it will stay. He enjoys my love and support and I feel blessed when I feel that he is happy because of that - and I feel it very often."). BTW - empress Karoline Augusta had quite an interesting life if someone wants to read about her. For Royalty fans (are there any?;)) - Karoline Augusta was the aunt of empress Elisabeth ("Sis(s)i"), emperor Franz Joseph I, queen Josefina of Sweden and the kings of Prussia and Saxony...

Maybe that's what Camilla feels as well: Charles lives for his people and she lives to support him.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Jo of Palatine said:
But is it really so little? I mean: 320 engagements in 365 days. Here in Germany, people work an average of 220 days (the rest ist weekends/holidays and public holidays). Let's assume it's similar in the UK: then it's about 2 engagements a working day. And it's not just showing up on the occasion, it's attending the conferences with the planning staff at Clarence House, it's dressing appropriately (which includes the shopping for clothes), putting on the make-up (Important if an elderly lady needs to look her best due to the photographers), getting briefed about each event and the people to be met there, driving to the place, appear, doing all there is to be done and driving/flying back. Quite a lot of work in order to only do 1! engagement.

I don't think its that little; I'm just amazed at people's fascination with the number of royals events. Its true that Princess Anne outpaces them all in that respect but she had been keeping up an insane schedule for years before people noticed. I don't think quantity necessarily translates to quality.

I'm also reminded of something a member said in the Danish forums. He said that the DRF had just the right amount of exposure and if the Danish people saw them any more than they did now, they'd get sick of them.

Last edited:
Jo, these documentaries don't have to be good quality. They just wheel out the chaffeur, the butler and the chap she once said hello to at Sainsburys and whap - you've made yourself a programme to sell to the Yanks.

BeatrixFan said:
Jo, these documentaries don't have to be good quality. They just wheel out the chaffeur, the butler and the chap she once said hello to at Sainsburys and whap - you've made yourself a programme to sell to the Yanks.

The butler actually wasn't in the programme :). But I see your point. ;)

I watched this documentary yesterday. I was disappointed. IMO it was a pro-Diana film. All clisches and old (untrue?) stories were told. The comforting and supporting role of Camilla was underestimated. It wasn´t the quality I know from this chanel.:(

Camilla, President of the National Osteoporosis Society, smiles during a visit to Guy's Hospital on July 12, 2006. The Duchess of Cornwall officially opened the SPECT scanner unit during her visit , a scanner which shows physiological and anatomical detail - wireimage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom