The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjan
Who is the lady walking beside Camilla's son. She has a black two piece dress on and a gold chain with a cross around her neck. I havent seen her before and am wondering is she a relative or a family friend.
That is Lady Annabel Goldsmith. She is the mother of Jemina Kahn (she does have other children), the widow of the Sir James Goldsmith and the moniker for "Anabel's". I believe Camilla's brother, Mark Shand is married to someone she is related to (cousin perhaps?). So she is a cousin of sorts.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Serene Highness

Was Tom P-B's wife not there?
Perhaps she didn't own anything appropriate to wear!!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
That is Lady Annabel Goldsmith. She is the mother of Jemina Kahn (she does have other children), the widow of the Sir James Goldsmith and the moniker for "Anabel's". I believe Camilla's brother, Mark Shand is married to someone she is related to (cousin perhaps?). So she is a cousin of sorts.
Mark Shand married to Clio Goldsmith, niece of Sir James Goldsmith. Her father is an environment expert and a brother of Sir James Goldsmith.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Goodbye dear dad

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006270989,00.html
Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Aristocracy

I agree Skydragon. The press obviously didn't respect the family's wish for privacy whatsoever. Unfortunately it was a vain hope on everyone's part that privacy would granted . :( I would think it was even worse for Camilla with all the press there. She looks so sad.

Tom's wife Sara was there. She had a black dress and there was some gold to her jacket. In the group pictures, she is kinda walking in the same row as Willam, behind I believe Simon.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Majesty

I don't think that they could ever have expected complete privacy as the funeral did take place in a public church - had it taken place in a private chapel then yes they could have got total privacy.

Given that the event was taking place in public view then I was pleased that the press seemed to be low-key - the photos seem to be from a distance and not in their faces and the clips I have seen on TV are brief just commenting on how much support Charles, William and Harry are giving Camilla at this time.

I was pleased to see William and Harry there as that means that they had to get two days leave from their military commitments (for Harry the two days before the Trooping the Colour at that). It again shows their commitment to supporting their father's decision to marry Camilla and their acceptance of Camilla. Now if only everyone else would do so.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla, tears and a family secret

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1766&ito=1490
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I am glad to see the support Prince Charles, Princes William and Harry showed to Camilla and the Parker-Bowles, however like Skydragon and cde, I am upset they did not respect her request of privacy. I did hope this funerals would be media-free. But then, as chrissy57 pointed, it could be worse.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

from corbis & polfoto

Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia

How very sad for the late Mr Shand!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:37 AM
Nobility

It is sad but the fact is camilla married into the royal family and privacy is not something she has now. Even in this great time of loss to her family.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Nobility

I think Camilla knew it wouldn't be completely private. But at least the media didn't go overboard and make it into a circus. I think it was handled okay.

I also think the people are happy there was some coverage, I think a lot of people care about her and were happy to see it was covered, but covered in a more dignified manner.

I was happy to see the family pull together in this sad time. It shows they are indeed a family.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Commoner

Actually this coverage of the whole funeral has been so mean spirited i am ashamed to say.I mean camilla's father died and instead people are saying such nasty things such as how low cut camilla's clothes were or how low cut laura's clothes and trying to figure out the body language of charles and camilla and saying things that charles didn't attend earl spencer's funeral so why did he attend major shand's ?? I read quite a few british papers online and even some other royalty websites and the comments that were posted are so harsh and cruel i cannot believe that even a funeral is a source of great delight among some people who frankly feel that diana is a saint hence her exhusband should never be happy.Sorry for being so honest but the comments made me realise that empathy for others is definitely in short supply when it comes to charles and camilla.I understand if people dislike them that is their opinion but to make vicious comments like this at a time like this just reflects the poor state of the world i think.All i can say is that thank god people in public life need to have a thick skin because i definitely couldn't take it!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan
I understand if people dislike them that is their opinion but to make vicious comments like this at a time like this just reflects the poor state of the world i think.
It just shows the character of the people making the nasty comments. I was disappointed to see how many sites dedicated to Charles and Camilla posted dozens of the pictures, knowing that she wanted a private funeral.

I would imagine all Camilla wanted was Charles' arm around her but, she was even denied that by the knowledge that lurking in the undergrowth, there would have been photographers.

WindsorIII, If 'people' really cared about her, they would have left her alone, as she requested!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I don't think that they could ever have expected complete privacy as the funeral did take place in a public church - had it taken place in a private chapel then yes they could have got total privacy.
There are very few private chapels, except on large country estates. It is normal to hold the service within the local parish, to have to travel elsewhere would have, IMO, been even more distressing for ALL the family and should be unacceptable to everyone. All it would have taken was a little decency, that seems to be sadly lacking!

It wasn't just Camilla who was affected by this intrusion!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Sadly, the coverage of the Countess of Wessex at her mother's funeral was similar and equally as intrusive.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
I Dont Remember Sophies mothers funeral
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-a-6864-5.html
Old 06-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

Part of my problem with the funeral was what Shaan and Skydragon were saying about all the nasty comments made and also some of the pictures that were taken ie. the one of Laura crying with her husbands arm around her to me, it was too intrusive. Although from what Chrissy was saying maybe this is the press's version of being well behaved.
Does anyone remember Camilla's mother's funeral? I heard that was bad. Was this one better or worse then her mother's?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

We could ask the administrators of these royal web sites to no allow any threads about funerals. As long as we look at the photos and continue to post comments we are no different from anyone else interested in these events.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
We could ask the administrators of these royal web sites to no allow any threads about funerals. As long as we look at the photos and continue to post comments we are no different from anyone else interested in these events.
I would prefer that sort of censorship not be imposed. No-one has to look at the photos, or comment, if to do so makes them feel uncomfortable.

Camilla married the heir to the throne, and, IMO, one consequence of that fact is an increased public interest, and hence media interest, in her family.

Funerals are an integral part of the cycle of life. Opinions will vary, of course, but I don't think the photos we've seen have been offensively intrusive. They could have been far worse, and while I can envisage a situation where I would agree that certain photos should not be published, I don't feel that way about the ones we've seen.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall