The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 13: January 2010-September 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I kind of see it is that she could be called any of the following:
- Camilla, The Duchess of of Cornwall
- Mrs. Charles Mountbatten-Windsor
- Mrs. Charles Wales
- Mrs. Charles Cornwall
- Ms. Camilla Parker Bowles
- Ms. Camilla Shand

The surnames should not be mixed with the title, and the most accurate name to use is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall as it is the name that she's expressed a desire to be known as.

How about Ms Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor? Surely if she's to be known by either of her husband's surnames, it ought to be that of the man to whom she is currently married.

I hope you've noticed that it's not been my choice to call her that way, but the need to quote the given caption correctly. Citation rules come first :)

Of course, iceflower. :) It was Zimbio who described her incorrectly.

Last edited:
How about Ms Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor? Surely if she's to be known by either of her husband's surnames, it ought to be that of the man to whom she is currently married.

Her first name His last name is more typically associated with divorced and not married women. I did list the Mountbatten-Windsor option, just as Mrs. Charles instead of Ms. Camilla. Of course if Camilla wanted to be Ms. Camilla (or even Mrs. Camilla) Mountbatten-Windsor it's entirely her right to do so. I just didn't list either for simplification reasons (I didn't feel the need to include 3 Mountbatten-Windsor combinations).

Her first name His last name is more typically associated with divorced and not married women. I did list the Mountbatten-Windsor option, just as Mrs. Charles instead of Ms. Camilla. Of course if Camilla wanted to be Ms. Camilla (or even Mrs. Camilla) Mountbatten-Windsor it's entirely her right to do so. I just didn't list either for simplification reasons (I didn't feel the need to include 3 Mountbatten-Windsor combinations).

Fair enough. :flowers:

I know it's traditional for a married woman, but I have a personal objection to a woman being described merely as Mrs (husband's first name) (husband's surname) as I feel it deprives the woman of her own identity and relegates her to being merely an extension of her husband.

I think HRH looked very smart at the Rory McEwen Art Exhibition.

Last edited:

I know it's traditional for a married woman, but I have a personal objection to a woman being described merely as Mrs (husband's first name) (husband's surname) as I feel it deprives the woman of her own identity and relegates her to being merely an extension of her husband.

I think HRH looked very smart at the Rory McEwen Art Exhibition.

I totally get that.

She could also be Mrs. (or Ms.) Shand-Mountbatten-Windsor if she wants.

The way I kind of see it is that she could be called any of the following:
- Camilla, The Duchess of of Cornwall
- Mrs. Charles Mountbatten-Windsor
- Mrs. Charles Wales
- Mrs. Charles Cornwall
- Ms. Camilla Parker Bowles
- Ms. Camilla Shand

The surnames should not be mixed with the title, and the most accurate name to use is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall as it is the name that she's expressed a desire to be known as.

I agree with the above but it seems like Zimbio, Rex features, Getty and other press sites will continue to reference her with the name she originally came to the public attention which is Camilla Parker Bowles. The POW and the DOC been married now since 2005 and really should be called by her current married name.

I guess it's hard when a movie star marries--most are Always referred to by their original public/famous . For example Catherine Zeta Jones is always referred to as that instead of Mrs. Michael Douglas. Julia Roberts has been married for at least seven years and two children but she's not referred as Mrs. M but as Julia Roberts . Same with Meryl Streep whose been married for over 30 years . But the difference
Is that those women are professionals with a name associated with their body work.

Camilla was a private citizen ( albeit a notorious one for awhile). so I think it would be very easy for Zimbio , Rex features and others to refer to her by her current correct married name.

If. you do a search of any of these picture websites or Google or for Camilla Shand or Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor or the DOC you are
directed to Camilla Parker Bowles entries .

Last edited:
I think the major difference between Camilla (and other royals) and female celebrities like the ones that you mentioned is that often the celebrity choses to remain known by their more famous name, while Camilla has made it apparent that she would rather be known as Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (or some variation of names associated with her second husband) than as Camilla Parker Bowles.

Catherine Zeta Jones continues to be credited in movies and other roles as Catherine Zeta Jones, not Catherine Douglas or some variation thereof. It's similar with many other female celebrities. However, other female celebrities post marriage have changed how they're credited and as such press commentary tends to change as well - when she was married, Courtney Cox went by Courtney Cox Arquette and was called as such.

Women should have the right to be referred to in the press by the name that they have indicated that they want to be known as. Camilla no longer wants to be known by Parker Bowles, so the press should respect that.

Confusion

Another thing that really can throw monkeys into the works in putting a title into written text is simply the rules of writing. Sometimes you'll see The Duchess of Cambridge but the T starts the sentence. Or you'll see Jenny Jones and the Duchess of Cambridge attended etc.

It does irriteate me to see Camilla still called Parker-Bowles and Kate referred to as Middleton but that's the press for you. At least here at TRF we can just state Camilla or Kate or HM and people know who we're talking about.

Of course, iceflower. :) It was Zimbio who described her incorrectly.

Good to know that there has not been any misunderstanding :flowers:

The Duchess of Cornwall attended the first day of the Devon County Show at Westpoint, Exeter, today, May 16. It's been her third visit to the county's largest annual event and she was the guest of The Hon George Lopes, this year's Show President.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** itv.com: Devon County Show **

** gettyimages/zimbio: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Attends The Devon County Show **

** northdevonjournal.co.uk: PHOTOS: Thousands attend first day of Devon County Show 2013 **

The Duchess of Cornwall attended the first day of the Devon County Show at Westpoint, Exeter, today, May 16. It's been her third visit to the county's largest annual event and she was the guest of The Hon George Lopes, this year's Show President.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** gettyimages/zimbio: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Attends The Devon County Show **

** northdevonjournal.co.uk: PHOTOS: Thousands attend first day of Devon County Show 2013 **

Looks like an active week for Camilla again. Very good to see her out and about. That said, it has been a while since we have seen Charles and Camilla do an "Away Day" together.

More great photos of Camilla out and about. She really seems to enjoy these country shows and seems relaxed and comfortable discharging her duties.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I love the picture of the Duchess among the people, especially with children. The photo of her talking with the two little girls is just delightful.

I love the picture of the Duchess among the people, especially with children. The photo of her talking with the two little girls is just delightful.

Oh, that photo is just precious!

My hat is off to the Duchess, yet again. Yesterday could have been awkward on that large round stone in the center of the Sentable Garden, with Harry (appropriately) gushing, Pa admiring, the designer explaining. The Duchess was all smiles, pleasantly in the background. Well handled, bless her. :flowers:

ITA, it's very sexist. But it's a generational thing. My 88 year old Mother in Law would have a FIT if anyone addresses a letter to her as Mrs. Jane Smith. I'ts Mrs Stanley Smith Junior, thank you very much.

Today (June 10) The Duchess of Rothesay will be formally installed as Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen

From the University:

HRH The Duchess of Rothesay to be installed as new University Chancellor | The University of Aberdeen

Her speech from the PoW website:

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/me...er-royal-highnesss-installation-chancellor-of

Picture from BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-22799372

According to Richard Palmer of the Express on Twitter

Another milestone for Camilla: the Duchess of Cornwall was installed as the first female chancellor of Aberdeen University today.

Last edited:
Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University:
Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University | Mail Online

It looks like the day went well and I am happy for her. But as someone with an advanced degree married to a college professor I always find these honorary doctorates a little annoying. At my husband's University last week an husband-and-wife who gave a large contribution to the business school were both awarded honorary doctorates. One of them doesn't have a college degree but they both are very wealthy realtors. On the other hand, my husband completed four years of college, two years a Masters degree. Then in three years received a PhD . After many years of research ,teaching , travel time he became a full professor and a division chief by the age of 45 . He still doesn't get paid nearly enough. But he said that's just the way it is --in universities honorary degrees are often given to wealthy contributors or high-profile people who can to bring money into university

He just reminded me that Mike Tyson has an honorary doctorate. When he received it he said I don't know what kind of doctor I am but I hope I'm not a gynecologist .( smile).

Happy Birthday to HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom